[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

...-RO needs a lone RS-25 (SSME.) I know that we have the Soviet equivalents, but still, do it for 'Murica?

There are two pretty good looking RS-25's in Klockheed Martian, one angled (for shuttles) and one straight (for SLS). RO has a patch for Klockheed Martian in the Rework folder, however that mod hasn't been updated for a long time and I don't know why the RO config for it is considered to be needing a rework. They worked nicely the last time I tried them, probably needs RealPlume configs etc though.

There are two pretty good looking RS-25's in Klockheed Martian, one angled (for shuttles) and one straight (for SLS). RO has a patch for Klockheed Martian in the Rework folder, however that mod hasn't been updated for a long time and I don't know why the RO config for it is considered to be needing a rework. They worked nicely the last time I tried them, probably needs RealPlume configs etc though.

Actually, if you want to review it (check all the parts, etc) and make sure everything's correctly assigned. We'd be more than happy to promote it to supported!

Heck, if you even want to add RealPlume support, it's not too hard, ask in the IRC channel, we'll help you out!

Playing RO/RP-0, just unlocked the full tier tracking station. When i looked i just found 4(Edit: 5) Asteroids in orbit of Earth on a collision course! I assume this is because asteroids get generated with stock velocitys and distances, but it was a little odd finding all of them in orbit :D

zyHnZys.png

Edited by SirKeplan

v8.3.1

From last time:

* Fixed Bonanza parts to all work right (requires latest FAR v14.7), included Bonanza craft file (in prior release of RO)

* Change all textures to DDS

* Fix separatron FX

* Fixes from A1Ch1 for Aestus II, solids, AIES Generic Thrusters

* Add Tiny Tim booster (for early sounding rockets) and X-Plane-style nosecone cockpit, both from RP-0.

New:

* Engine fixes from A1Ch1: Fix to S5.98, LR-87, RS-27A/H-1, throttling on LE-7A, NK-33/AJ26, added config options for GEM46 and GEM60 regarding Thrust Vector Control.

* Fix Nosecone cockpit pathing

* Fix TACLS tank changing

* Remove Life Support from non SM/Fuselage tanks

* Fix X-405 nodes

Hello, I just got a simple question about PorkJet Habitat mod on RO.

This mod comes with Nautilus-X Centrifuge module,

but even deflated this module has radius bigger then 10m,

so it doesn`t fit with even SLS block 2 payload configuration.

I know that this mod isn`t designed in real yet, but this gigantic scale annoys me.

There`s any way to launch this module with a proposed launcher?

ps. I found that Near Future Propulsion listed in supported mods but VASIMR engine requires a "Hydrogen" fuel, not "LiquidHydrogen" fuel.

Edited by FennexFox

After a recent update through ckan, solid rockets can't hold any fuel and pods can't store any resources. Has anyone else run into this?

Having the exact same issue, any way to tackle this? or just wait for a fix?

Having the exact same issue, any way to tackle this? or just wait for a fix?

I have had some crafts appear onto the launch pad with empty or partially filled cryogenic fuel tanks. I always attach FASA Umbilical Towers to my craft in the VAB. I then turn on their fuel pumps on the launch pad to fill them up.

Also I have TAC fuel balancer installed in my current game, and that mod allows you to fill empty fuel tanks as long as your craft is still on the launch pad.

I have not had any issues with non-cryogenic fuels

Hi,

I have problem, which I can't solve: For my first mission to Venus I've built a Titan-III7D-like rocket (http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Titan-IIIL-1.gif), but with some smaller boosters. I'm also using the LR-87 Engine. But I have the problem, that the engine always burns out at around 80 km height. No matter which fuel (Kerosine/LOX or Aeronzine50/NTO) or witch TWR after Booster seperation, the main engine always stops working.

What am I doing wrong?

http://i.imgur.com/z7ocrIL.jpg

An issue: Squad RCS 4-way thrusters have the same amount of thrust on all versions (full, 1/2, 1/4) even though i have (double checked) RO_RCS_config and moduleRCSFX.

I just did a fresh, RSS+RO+RP-0 (+essentials) with no additional mods. Same thing happened on my old install.

One more thing. Are twekscale parts supposed to jump directly from 100% size to 5000% size? Again, happening to me on both installs.

Oh, and one more. My prop engines are... well, broken. they all have flat, stock thrust. No thrust curves, no realism.

Basically, it looks like MM doesn't "read" some of .cfgs. Has anyone encountered this before?

Edited by Rothank
craving for some attention

Hi Friedrich Nietsche,

re all rockets stopping at 80km: Is it possible that you loose radio connection? When remote tech stops seeing a connection, your engines are shut down. It is possible that due to a bug this was not happening before, as I seem to recall that I got "local control" on rockets without any locals on.

Best,

Gustav

After a recent update through ckan, solid rockets can't hold any fuel and pods can't store any resources. Has anyone else run into this?

Yes! I've only installed RO mods for the first time this weekend and have been having this issue, I assumed it was something I'm doing wrong, glad to know someone more experienced has the same issue!

I have this proble as well, but I think it may just be that RealFuels is not yet updated to v9 in CKAN, while the latest release of RP0 is specified to require it. I'm going to try updating manually to RF9 and see what happens.

I have this proble as well, but I think it may just be that RealFuels is not yet updated to v9 in CKAN, while the latest release of RP0 is specified to require it. I'm going to try updating manually to RF9 and see what happens.

I'm having the same issue and am going to try the same debugging technique. Will report on how it goes.

EDIT: This seems to be the issue. Now that I have installed the updated Real Fuels, it is resolved.

Edited by avi

With regards to engine ignition, I have been considering replacing my self-discipline approach with installing Engine Ignitor. The problem is that the hypergolic engines seem to be unrealistically restricted in their re-ignition attempts. Some of them are only configured to have one ignition! This makes them rather pointless, as if you are going to be restricted to 1 ignition, you might as well use a KeroLox engine with far superior ISP.

Is this working as intended? Is there a way to not restrict ignition for hypergolic engines? I'm assuming this is partially an RO issue (stock doesn't differential between fuels), but should I hit up the EI thread instead?

Edited by Oksbad

Hey folks, just a quick note to say that the CKAN indexing bot was surprised by RealFuels changing its directory structure, and so hadn't indexed RealFuels v9.0, resulting in a number of the bugs reported in the last few pages.

This is now fixed. If you've installed RealFuels via the CKAN, you can use it to update to RealFuels v9.0 and rejoice!

Much thanks,

~ Paul

Friedrich Nietzsche, the Titan III's that used solid rocket boosters ignited their boosters on the ground and their LR-87 before burnout. This makes them less "boosters" and more a first stage. I think using the 3.05m boosters from FASA is the best option. The Porcedural ones usually don't gimbal enough to control the craft. Here are the specs of almost all of the Titan family: http://www.braeunig.us/space/specs/titan.htm

Hi Friedrich Nietsche,

re all rockets stopping at 80km: Is it possible that you loose radio connection? When remote tech stops seeing a connection, your engines are shut down. It is possible that due to a bug this was not happening before, as I seem to recall that I got "local control" on rockets without any locals on.

Best,

Gustav

Hi,

the strange thing was, that I always had a connection, even after with the engines switching off, at least judging by the green marker. But after reading your comment I've slapped some more antennas on the rocket and now everything seems to work fine. :0.0:

Thanks!

Ok, I'll take all back, it happened again. But I could identify Test Flight as "problem".

Head -> Desk

Edited by Friedrich Nietzsche

Friedrich Nietzsche, the Titan III's that used solid rocket boosters ignited their boosters on the ground and their LR-87 before burnout. This makes them less "boosters" and more a first stage. I think using the 3.05m boosters from FASA is the best option. The Porcedural ones usually don't gimbal enough to control the craft. Here are the specs of almost all of the Titan family: http://www.braeunig.us/space/specs/titan.htm

Oh, didn't see that posting. Thanks for the infos. I will rework my titan after launching the Venus mission. Time is running out :)

Hello, could anybody explain me how to properly launch a FASA saturn v? I always end up in a non-circular orbit (eccentricity at least 0.01) with at least 250 m/s of steering losses, and I am thus unable to perform a TLI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dolin

Robotengineer: That's a bug in AJE. I've sent camlost a pull request, for now you can just grab AJE from my forked repo (that has the PR) rather than the original. There is nothing that can be done in RO/RP-0 since AJE does its patching on FINAL...

Friedrich Nietzsche: does Testflight report a failure at that point? Check the rocket-ship icon. Ah, nm, later you said that was it. Make sure you air-light the LR-87s, as samroberts mentioned the Titans with SRMs did not ground-light their engines, they lit them on SRM near-burnout (like, 5 seconds left). The issue with TF is that engines have rated burn times, and if you exceed them they're likely to fail...might also ping Agathorn, maybe the LR-87s don't have enough rated burntime for the IIIL application (although if memory serves the widebody core didn't burn longer, it had more fuel and more engines).

Rothank: RCS, will investigate. However, Tweakscale will screw them up, so don't tweakscale them. Second issue, Tweakscale...sounds like there was an update and we're now mismatched; if you only get that issue when RO is installed, it's presumably an interaction issue. AJE needs to update for the latest FAR, please ask camlost to do so. (All it takes is a recompile.)

Oksbad: there's a lot that goes into making an engine restartable. First, has the high temperature melted anything you'll need again? Second, is the combustion chamber (or nozzle) now so ablated it's not safe to reuse? Third, how do you start up the turbopump, if there is one? Not needing an ignitor is important, but not the be-all/end-all when it comes to restartability. For example, the Apollo SPS was rated for essentially infinite restarts (although a set total burn time) because it was a pressure-fed hypergolic engine with ablative cooling: so long as there was still propellant to be fed to it, and the combustion chamber and nozzle hadn't ablated away too much, you could just open the vales and light it up (ullage willing). The Agena engine, however, was pump-fed, and thus needed to spin up its turbopumps before it could light its gas generator (which was there to power the turbopumps). A bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, but it could be gotten around by judicious use of stored electricity (IIRC) to spin up the turbopumps in the absense of the generator. That said, even with enough juice, after about 18 starts (well past the rated 15? Or was it 15 and 12?) stuff was getting too melty/corroded/whatever to work.

The advantage of hypergolics isn't so much that they have infinite restarts, it's that they are storable. LOX boils off. Means you can't store the missile, you have to fuel it up before launch--and that means you need a few hours' warning, not a few minutes. It's also an issue in space--that's why pretty much everyone uses hypergolics for on-orbit maneuvers and