[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Maybe someone could answer something for me.... is there a way to engage a "debug" mode in RO so that the parts shown in the VAB/SPH also list their original names/manufactures? Purpose would be to make it easier to determine which files I need to trim to reduce superfluous parts.

You may want to try the AutoPruner Script. It's referenced in the OP of this thread as a means to reduce the RAM footprint, but it should also declutter the part list.

Hello, I've been having some crashes after using the Mk 3 command pod and a few other parts. I've been looking through this thread to see if anyone else has this issue, but I haven't found anyone else with the same issue.

Basically whenever I make a standard Apollo-esque pod (Apollo launch escape tower, APAS-95 docking port, command pod, 2 realchutes radially attached, and a procedural heat shield on the bottom) the game plays normally after loading it, and after reverting to the VAB; however as it loads the VAB the game goes to a light blue color (Except the UI), freezes, and stops working. I've left it for over an hour before, so it's not like it's just thinking about it for a few seconds.

Because it doesn't actually crash, I don't have a crash log either. The only non-RO mods that are being used with the craft are Ven stock revamp and procedural parts.

Here's an image of my GameData folder. A lot of the tanks and stuff have been pruned using the AutoPruner.

I know it's not a RAM issue, since the entire KSP folder is 2.64 gigs. I also haven't had a RAM related crash yet on this install (Kinda proud of that).

For some reason the FASA pods are still overheating while on the launch pad etc. Anyone have any advice? I've been having this problem with RO for a while and was hoping the next update would have fixed it but it hasn't yet.

For some reason the FASA pods are still overheating while on the launch pad etc. Anyone have any advice? I've been having this problem with RO for a while and was hoping the next update would have fixed it but it hasn't yet.

I'm also getting surface temperatures of 400K+ on the launchpad, with nearly every pod and winglet. As best I can tell, this somehow seems to be related to FAR and there appears to be no solution right now. Given how nasty the issue is, I'm pretty confident that it will be looked into once everybody has returned from their respective holidays.

MechJeb will only check monopropellant. So you do it the manual way: record the mass of the craft with full tanks, tweak the RCS propellants to 0 each, record that mass. Calculate ln(wet/dry) * 9.80665 * RCS_Isp. That's your delta V.

Yaivenov: That's a lot of good stuff! :)

Let me address a few; the others I suggest you make an issue for each on the RO github issues page, so each can be discussed and won't get lost in the thread .

1. We removed the electricity requirement from TACLS so that we can have per-part electricity requirements (TACLS does not at present allow per-part customization). That's intended behavior you're seeing.

2. At present, ModuleRCSFX only supports part-level tweaking of RCS. That means if you disable roll RCS on a part, no thruster will fire for roll actuation, but all thrusters that can contribute will fire for yaw and pitch still. KSP has no concept of "this particular nozzle is only good for this particular control actuation".

3 and 4: There's a bug in ModuleRCSFX that Starwaster found; that should help MechJeb a lot. The stock SAS, however, needs PID tweaking badly (that's out of RO's scope, though, IMO).

5. Stock bug. Try the mod in this forum (Clamps-Be-Gone?) that fixes it.

As for Needs, the fairing thing sounds like you're trying to play career without RP-0. RO does not natively support career; you need RP-0 if you want to play career. (The OP does mention this. :) )

I'll try to get to the rest soon. There's a lot! :)

Hello, quick question:

for some reason when I try to fly the FASA J-2S engine (selecting the appropriate config in the dialog) it won't gimbal. Is this intended or is it a bug?

I should add that the standard J-2 gimbals just fine.

thank you very much.

I am having a problem in my install where parts (pretty much every one) take a while to react when i click on them...meaning in the VAB/SPH if i click on an item in the parts list it takes a fraction of a second before it reacts and doesn't react if i pull away immediately, which worked in the stock install...i did have this in earlier RO installs but i fixed it, i just don't remember how..do you know why this is? RAM usage?...certain mods?

i am using vista...which is often causing problems not existent on other platforms, but my pc is equipped with a powerful 3,3ghz processor and 8gb ram and a gtx 650....maybe that helps...please help

Launch clamps spawning in the center of my craft while ascending? I've had numerous spontaneous disassemblies due to launch clamps magically appearing in/next to my ship while launching. I can see them, and the flight logs shows "collision with launch clamp" usually between about 5 and 10km. Thoughts?

Launch clamps spawning in the center of my craft while ascending? I've had numerous spontaneous disassemblies due to launch clamps magically appearing in/next to my ship while launching. I can see them, and the flight logs shows "collision with launch clamp" usually between about 5 and 10km. Thoughts?

I have no clue how to fix it, but I have encountered this issue as well. In fact, this happened in Scott Manley's RO series of Youtube, but his craft was lucky to avoid them because it was small. Anyway, I really don't know what could be going on here. But you aren't the only one experiencing this.

Bug with stock game. There's a mod for that, ClampsBeGone. https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1037/ClampsBeGone

Okay I've got another bit of a goober question. I'm trying to do plan of action for cooking up the configs for Universal Storage, but I'm just not sure what sort of values I should be hunting down here.

Should I just start sourcing quantity info from say the Apollo spacecraft and use that for setting volumes and such on the USI parts (like the slush H2 and O2 tanks and fuel cells) or should I just resize them and then crunch the numbers for volume and mass based purely off the physical size of the module? Beyond that I'm unsure what sort of numbers I should be using to determine the mass of the framing, miscellaneous hardware, aero-shells and what not. Basically I don't want to give you guys a crap config that isn't grounded in reality and could use a little nudge in the right direction to get rolling on this.

I have RO, RSS, EVE, and AVP installed along with a huge variety of part mods. I'm running KSP on Ubuntu 14.04 x64. 4ghz processor and 16gb RAM. There's this blue thing that I believe to be a visual for the atmosphere. I think it's supposed to be connected to the earth, but i see this annoying gap... does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks!

GauUNsE.png

I have RO, RSS, EVE, and AVP installed along with a huge variety of part mods. I'm running KSP on Ubuntu 14.04 x64. 4ghz processor and 16gb RAM. There's this blue thing that I believe to be a visual for the atmosphere. I think it's supposed to be connected to the earth, but i see this annoying gap... does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/GauUNsE.png

Do you play in 1024x768???

I have the same bug. It's from RVE

Bug with stock game. There's a mod for that, ClampsBeGone. https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1037/ClampsBeGone

Unsure if it'd be of help to anyone in smashing that particular bug, but I noticed a correlation between when the launch clamps jump to your ship and the automatic altitude achievements from the stock KSP contract system. Ie., it happens roughly at those same altitude points (hard to tell exact as my Mark 1 Mod 0 eyeball doesn't exactly come equipped with a stop watch :P )

I guess the Conic Cockpit is a part that came with "Realism Overhaul"?

In my game it is wreaking havoc on Rescue Contracts.

I already had 2 cases where the Rescuee was located in a conic cockpit and couldn´t do the EVA to the rescue ship,

because the conic cockpit has no hatch.

2 Pics of the cases:

VboUnqE.jpg

IgbYpOH.jpg

Addendum:

Obviously it is right ... the Conic Cockpit is actually the only cockpit added via RO (under the name Nosecone Cockpit).

Unfortunately it seems like the presence orf absence of a hatch isn´t defined in the cfg-file, but rather in the .mu and .dds files for the part

(for which I need a 3D editor I guess).

Therefore as a stopgap measure in my install I just (as a stopgap measure till the thing is fixed) set the maximum crew for the pod to 0.

Deactivates it for my own use, but hopefully also prevents its use by KSP for rescue contracts.

Edited by Godot

Yaivenov: Given the way the parts look, probably the best bet is to treat them as modern hardware and work mostly off the physical size. To figure out the masses of the structural bits, maybe looking at ISS hardware would be the best? I'm sorry to say that for me, personally, this isn't an area of experience--I know launch hardware fairly well, and some capsule and probe hardware, but not this...

Thanks for working on it! :)

Godot: As the OP says, RO does not support career natively, only with RP-0. That said, I do need to fix the pod so it has a hatch--you can't eject otherwise. :]

Godot: As the OP says, RO does not support career natively, only with RP-0. That said, I do need to fix the pod so it has a hatch--you can't eject otherwise. :]

Thatnks for clarifying this.

Fortunately the Rescue Contracts were the only issue that I had with normal career mode ...

and those I could fix with 2 config changes (increasing the Kerbal Survival Time without O2 to 20 mins (I justify this with a reserve oxygen bottle in all Kerbal Spac eships ;) ) and the mentioned deactivation of the Conic Cockpit for use by Kerbals).

But out of curiosity I will start a new career with the RP-0 Mod added ... especially since it also used a rebalanced tech tree ... I already found it a little bit strange to have the Aestus 2 and Merlin engines available already within the first 3 layers of the tech tree :D

I guess/hope RP-0 isn´t only targeted at being balanced toward the Real Solar system, but also towards the normal Kerbol System? :)

Edited by Godot

RP-0 at present does assume RSS, yeah, sorry. It could be changed over without too much difficulty, I think, however.

As to RO career without RP-0, the analogy I use is: imagine a marathon, in which some racers have stilts and some have race cars. That's what RO-with-stock-career is like, because RO changes parts willy-nilly but does not change tech node or price, so you can have hyper-modern engines in the start node for fifty spacebucks and the V-2 engine in one of the late nodes for fifty thousand.

The USI Hex and Octo cores are jabbing my OCD right in the eye. I'm inclined to leave those parts out and only config up the quad core which keeps a nice circular exterior shell (the other two produce an exterior shape of a six or eight point star with the points filleted. Does anyone feel particularly attached to those parts and want me to include them?

Also I'm going to need to add a couple resources to the game. :D Triple point Hydrogen and Oxygen (aka slush, hydrogen slush is about 20% denser than standard LH2 and is what was used in the Apollo service module).

ETA: Hmm. Smaller form factor for the science experiment USI modules? I'm aiming roughly for 4 meter outer diameter for the services modules, but it seems absurd to have science experiments taking up so much ship volume and mass.

ETA: Still trying to decide on 1m or 2m form factor for the science modules, any opinions on the matter would be appreciated. Other than that, I can tell you definitively that in the 4m form factor the module bays will have 2.758m3 of usable volume and 0.58m3 of aeroshell, framing and insulation, and the core column will be 1.728m3. Other than a TPO2/TPH2->LOX/LH2->O2/H2 converter and regulator, I guess I should just make the rest of the core volume a realfuels service module?

Edited by Yaivenov