The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

Ckan make life so much easier, but i do have one major suggestion which for someone like me, who likes experimenting with new mods, would really make it easier to use.  I'm sure people have suggested this else where. 

A column for release date and update date.  You know when you press refresh and there are 672 mods compatible rather than 670 it takes a long time to try and figure out which ones are new...

Just a wee idea, there might already be a solution to this, in which can i know the secret.

One suggestion would be CKAN somehow checking if certain mods can be installed/are avaliable or something. I had an issue where one of the mods wasn't avaliable (Active Texture Management - Aggressive) and I tried to install it, only for CKAN to return errors and have to be force closed. Another thing would be adding the possibility of checking if the mod you're trying to install is downloaded already and try to install from there instead of downloading it again. You only get JIT Errors and tracebacks leading to nothing related to the error when this happens.

2 hours ago, BloodDusk said:

One suggestion would be CKAN somehow checking if certain mods can be installed/are avaliable or something. I had an issue where one of the mods wasn't avaliable (Active Texture Management - Aggressive) and I tried to install it, only for CKAN to return errors and have to be force closed. Another thing would be adding the possibility of checking if the mod you're trying to install is downloaded already and try to install from there instead of downloading it again. You only get JIT Errors and tracebacks leading to nothing related to the error when this happens.

CKAN tries to handle all errors that crop up. If you're getting unhandled exceptions, please report them with details, either here or (preferably) as an issue on Github

If you are talking about a mod downloaded for another KSP install, you can share your CKAN cache folders by symlinking the directories to a common location.

6 hours ago, Thegamer211 said:

I can't update to the latest CKAN version:

832cc3a34a55d1dca4a71c248b7a59cf.png

You have the latest version there already; that's why it won't upgrade. Check out the releases list; it might make the versioning clearer.

7 hours ago, BeholdTheUnjust said:

Ckan make life so much easier, but i do have one major suggestion which for someone like me, who likes experimenting with new mods, would really make it easier to use.  I'm sure people have suggested this else where. 

A column for release date and update date.  You know when you press refresh and there are 672 mods compatible rather than 670 it takes a long time to try and figure out which ones are new...

Just a wee idea, there might already be a solution to this, in which can i know the secret.

There is the "New in Repository" filter, which may be useful, but it's an oft-requested feature and is on the list for enhancements.

19 hours ago, NGXII said:

Alright, I figured that would be the best option, maybe something like this would be good to implement in the future!

Well, it is implemented by way of the KSP install switcher. There's a limit to how many different models of operation can be supported.

If you really want to be able to switch a single instance between sets of mods (which I really wouldn't recommend), you can create meta .ckan files with a bunch of "depends", and alternatively install and remove them. If you have only installed a mod as a dependency of a second mod, it should be uninstalled when the second mod is. (But beware upgrading the daughter mods)

15 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

@politas if you have the time can you please that a look at TAC Fuel balancer. Can we approve it for KSP 1.0.5?

I don't know if  @TaranisElsu is around to confirm. All I know is the feedback  in the mod thread would suggest that it is 1.0.5 compatible. It is also a pretty important mod for TAC life support users. 

Change submitted.

17 hours ago, Dominicinator said:

I'm having a problem where I can't install one specific type of mod: Any mod that edits planets, I can't even install Kopernicus. (The apply button is greyed out)

I tried creating another instance of KSP that has no mods, and I still have the same problem.

I could install the mods manually, but I still find this a bit strange.

That would imply that you're selecting a set of mods that would create a conflict, usually. Try selecting and applying mods one at a time.

CKAN creators, what do you think of providing a statistic on what the currently active mods are that people have in their current installations?

I'm not looking for a download statistic - kerbalstuff can provide that. What I'm looking for is a statistic on what mods people actually currently have remaining in their CKAN mod list on any given day, like today (since even a popularly downloaded mod could be just as popularly uninstalled quickly and never used again).  Everytime CKAN is opened could you have CKAN transmit to a CKAN server the mods currently seen (giving an indication of what mods a player still had in their CKAN mod docket before they previously closed down and thus "kept").

And I wonder if you can use this data and publish it as a top 50 "kept" mods that players can see either in CKAN directly, or on a website.

Furthermore, I was wondering if the statistic would take into account the most popupar "mod families" - what groups of mods are most usually being played by players now? Perhaps a list of mods ranked by how popular they are installed along with other mods.

Thoughts?

Edited by inigma

3 hours ago, politas said:

CKAN tries to handle all errors that crop up. If you're getting unhandled exceptions, please report them with details, either here or (preferably) as an issue on Github

If you are talking about a mod downloaded for another KSP install, you can share your CKAN cache folders by symlinking the directories to a common location.

You have the latest version there already; that's why it won't upgrade. Check out the releases list; it might make the versioning clearer.

I had to find out by trial and error that all the errors I was having were related to CKAN not being able to find a mod in the given location (FAR, KAS and a few others), since this particular error only appears when said mod is the first file CKAN tried to download. If the mod that causes the error is in the middle or at the very end of the install list, it only shows generic .NET Framework errors instead when that file can't be downloaded.

Okay, this is weird.

Any Kopernicus planet pack that is incompatible with another planet pack is generally "incompatible" with Kopernicus. CKAN lists the planet packs dependencies and somehow gets into a mess with Kopernicus. Try looking at it. Affects any pack.

22 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

Okay, this is weird.

Any Kopernicus planet pack that is incompatible with another planet pack is generally "incompatible" with Kopernicus. CKAN lists the planet packs dependencies and somehow gets into a mess with Kopernicus. Try looking at it. Affects any pack.

I've added your comment to the relevant issue. The planet packs needed a big overhaul in CKAN, and that's still in progress.

8 hours ago, inigma said:

CKAN creators, what do you think of providing a statistic on what the currently active mods are that people have in their current installations?

I'm not looking for a download statistic - kerbalstuff can provide that. What I'm looking for is a statistic on what mods people actually currently have remaining in their CKAN mod list on any given day, like today (since even a popularly downloaded mod could be just as popularly uninstalled quickly and never used again).  Everytime CKAN is opened could you have CKAN transmit to a CKAN server the mods currently seen (giving an indication of what mods a player still had in their CKAN mod docket before they previously closed down and thus "kept").

And I wonder if you can use this data and publish it as a top 50 "kept" mods that players can see either in CKAN directly, or on a website.

Furthermore, I was wondering if the statistic would take into account the most popupar "mod families" - what groups of mods are most usually being played by players now? Perhaps a list of mods ranked by how popular they are installed along with other mods.

Thoughts?

My initial thought is that there's a privacy issue involved in uploading people's active modlists that may be too much of a hurdle. This is not data that is automatically stored on a server and thus easily available for statistical analysis.

6 minutes ago, politas said:

My initial thought is that there's a privacy issue involved in uploading people's active modlists that may be too much of a hurdle. This is not data that is automatically stored on a server and thus easily available for statistical analysis.

I could see it as an opt-in statistics request upon CKAN install informing the player that it's to gather statistics on the most popular mods that players use. I know DMP did something similar. KSP does too. Thoughts?

Edited by inigma

For some reason, today CKAN has started to behave...oddly. Whenever I try to install a mod, it spends an exceedingly long time, possibly more than a minute, at the "(Updating selected mods)" stage of installation before starting any downloads. Once it finishes downloading, it very frequently hangs while installing the selected mods, particularly if more than one mod is queued for installation, requiring a manual termination to stop. This is...frustrating. I tried nuking everything, down to KSP itself, and starting over, but this didn't help at all. There's nothing unusual or strange that I can see in the terminal output, either.

Are there are any log files or other information sources I could use to diagnose the cause of this issue? I'm on OS X El Capitan, 10.11.3, by the way.

EDIT: Further deepening the mystery, it later quit doing this (i.e., returned to working normally) without me doing anything. Who knows!

Edited by Workable Goblin
Problem no longer exists

45 minutes ago, Fraz86 said:

I'm not seeing Kerbal Atomics in CKAN, despite its KerbalStuff page having the CKAN tag. Yesterday's update for Cryogenic Engines also doesn't seem to be available in CKAN. Any idea what's wrong?

Kerbal Atomics needs someone to redo the submission; the kerbalstuff automatic submission usually fails to make a functional netkan file. Anyone who has the time to try helping out with mod submissions would be very welcome!

Cryogenic Engines is showing 0.2.0 now. CKAN updates take some time.

Edited by politas

13 hours ago, inigma said:

I could see it as an opt-in statistics request upon CKAN install informing the player that it's to gather statistics on the most popular mods that players use. I know DMP did something similar. KSP does too. Thoughts?

It's certainly not impossible. Raise an issue as a feature request. I would suggest doing the feature as a new filter; sorting by popularity.

11 hours ago, politas said:

It's certainly not impossible. Raise an issue as a feature request. I would suggest doing the feature as a new filter; sorting by popularity.

Done!

Enhancement: Gather Opt-In Statistics on Currently Installed Mods on CKAN Startup to Provide List of Most Popular Mods by Retention (not by Downloads) #1566

Edited by inigma

I have a mod entry on CKAN that installs a special config file for another mod, and nothing else. This config file is pulled out of the download of that other mod, and thus the $kref entry points at it.

The config file is deprecated and will no longer be shipped. To forestall errors, I want to change the metadata for that config file entry so that it only works for KSP versions up to 1.0.4. Would simply adding a "ksp_version_max" field to the file be enough? Or is it going to have to be more complicated than that?

Hey guys, there has been a major update to the UKS, MKS-Lite, and Kolonization mods by RoverDude. The folder structure changed and needs an update, and in the way that the Mods are in the CKAN repo now, they break peoples installs.

Would you mind merging this pull request?

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/2939

Thanks!

I'm working on an automatic install script for Linux, for bothKSP and CKAN.  To solve some problems, I also am providing a script to change some setting and start KSP.

I'd like to be able to do one of the following:

1.  Patch ckan.exe to instead of defaulting the startup to this:

./KSP.x86_64 -single-instance

to put in a string such as one of the following:

~/bin/startKSP.sh
$HOME/bin/startKSP.sh

I don't mind having to pass in a command line parameter at startup to do this.

Is this possible at all?  if not, then would this be a feature request that might be considered?

Thanks in advance

The one thing I hate about CKAN is the fact that when run with mono, typing in the search box causes the following:

If I type 'real' into it as I would normally, it shows up as 'llll'

If I type it one character at a time, citing for it to show the last typed one before typing the next, it turns out fine.  This means I take 30 seconds to search as opposed to two.  Please fix this.