[1.12.x] Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

RoverDude

Agreed. I admit I've not checked the updated parts yet. Ring wings are a thing (though real ones tend to be squashed, not circular), so I can imagine a streamlined warp drive that's also a wing.

I come from flight sims so i have learned many interesting things - i imagine a round wing wouldn't be terribly efficient but theres no reason it couldn't contribute to lift, the top and bottom parts would probably need to be shaped slightly diffrently from the sides to make a useful contribution to lift. I imagine hypersonic-re-entry would pose a serious problem though. It would definitely be interesting to design around but, it's definitely not my call. :D

For space planes it will be a deployable ring (similar to what you see now on the 0.625m drive).

any chance you will make them fit the b9 parts like HL or the SP type parts?

Edited by endl

So I did a clean install and added karbonite and K+ and was unable to replicate the bug. Will continue to experiment, but I'm thinking that maybe there were files left from the first few versions of the mod still in the gamedata folder.

So I did a clean install and added karbonite and K+ and was unable to replicate the bug. Will continue to experiment, but I'm thinking that maybe there were files left from the first few versions of the mod still in the gamedata folder.

Good deal, and very likely as some bits moved around and you may have had a bad component

I regret to say I found it again. After more experimenting I think I found a correlation. If you activate a drive when there is another ship in orbit that has Karbonite parts (but not k+ parts) your ship's velocity goes to zero. This causes extreme lag and sometimes crashes the game. Will further testing, I found that the warp drive would repeat the behavior even if the ship with Karbonite parts was de-orbited. Resetting the game seemed to be the only thing that fixed it. I'll follow this up with more testing later.

That seems incredibly odd given what the part does, so it's likely correlation not causation. That being said, the likely bit of code causing said sadness is probably some of the stabilization code, so I'll poke around.

This may help, it does not actually go to zero when you start the warp drive, it does so once you start to move the throttle and warp drive starts moving the craft.

So more testing and I was able to replicate it without Karbonite or K+ installed. If you have a ship in orbit around Kerbin and a ship around Mun, and you take a warp ship and warp to the Mun's SOI, your velocity goes down to zero. And then it keeps going down to zero every time you throttle up the warp drive. Nothing happens if you just jump around SOI's in a system with no other ships.

So more testing and I was able to replicate it without Karbonite or K+ installed. If you have a ship in orbit around Kerbin and a ship around Mun, and you take a warp ship and warp to the Mun's SOI, your velocity goes down to zero. And then it keeps going down to zero every time you throttle up the warp drive. Nothing happens if you just jump around SOI's in a system with no other ships.

Thanks, now I have something to work off of :)

I work on a few mods ;) and this is the time I generally do all of the wish list things since I usually save the save-breaking things at major releases

Are all the mods that you maintain in the catelog? or are there some like the warp mod that are not in the list?

Are all the mods that you maintain in the catelog? or are there some like the warp mod that are not in the list?

Regolith and the warp drive are not on the list, and I also am prepping curation for Asteroid Cities and Bargain Rocket Parts.

squad anouced that 0.26 will come first. then 0.90 :)

"To make this clear to everyone, we’ve decided to not call the next release version 0.26, as convention would have it. Instead once the update is out, we’ll be officially in Beta, so we’re calling the next release version 0.90.0 (zero-ninety-zero)."

http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/100106130289/beta-than-ever-the-future-of-ksp

Also, from yesterday: http://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/104279659809/0-90-is-in-experimentals

What happens if you EVA a Kerbal while the warp bubble is active? Is it theoretically possible to service the outside of the ship while traveling faster than light? That would be awesome. :)

Also, is there a way to control how big the warp bubble is?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.