WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

That did it, thanks. Had to set the _RimDistSub value to 0. That UI is much more helpful and easier to work with than the 7-4 one. Although this isn't your problem, this doesn't work with StarSystems or atleast my install.

Edited by Chezburgar7300
EVE not issue for KittopiaTech.

RBray, I've observed that (logically) the cloud detail texture is mirrored from the ecuator. But that is making weird and unreal shapes over the KSP Center (wich is exactly at the meridional center of the planet) ...I know that is a minor graphical inconsistency, but would be possible to put the detail without that mirroring?

Oh, and the cloud offset is creating new shapes in the texture if I use it. In previous versions this was used to determine the position and axis rotation of the texture... I'm wrong ?, is this offset a new feature or a yet WIP characteristic?

RBray, I've observed that (logically) the cloud detail texture is mirrored from the ecuator. But that is making weird and unreal shapes over the KSP Center (wich is exactly at the meridional center of the planet) ...I know that is a minor graphical inconsistency, but would be possible to put the detail without that mirroring?

Oh, and the cloud offset is creating new shapes in the texture if I use it. In previous versions this was used to determine the position and axis rotation of the texture... I'm wrong ?, is this offset a new feature or a yet WIP characteristic?

Well...so the way it works now, is that we basically have a cube projected onto a sphere. So we have 6 sides. What we are going to have to do is create 2 (or more) textures such that they blend seamlessly across the face of the cube. I'll probably expose these as individual textures to try and provide as much flexibility as possible, but it means that you guys (as pack authors) will be given a little bit more work to create textures that are seamless on more edges.

Obviously, this adds a good bit of complexity, but I'm sure you texture wizards will be able to figure it out :)

Well...so the way it works now, is that we basically have a cube projected onto a sphere. So we have 6 sides. What we are going to have to do is create 2 (or more) textures such that they blend seamlessly across the face of the cube. I'll probably expose these as individual textures to try and provide as much flexibility as possible, but it means that you guys (as pack authors) will be given a little bit more work to create textures that are seamless on more edges.

Obviously, this adds a good bit of complexity, but I'm sure you texture wizards will be able to figure it out :)

So you think in add more than one detail texture to avoid the tiling and edge inconsistency in some joints. Is that?

A good solution, imho. No problem. Anyway right now, is not working bad at all, is just that the mirroring in the ecuator is too obvious if you set the detail higher than the main texture.

I'm more afraid about the "offset" setting because now I can't create cloud animations beyond the horizontal direction. My Eve clouds animations in 7-4, as example, moves every cloud map in little different axis, to blend better the textures, creating a more random and natural cloud mixing. Would be that possible in the next version?

So you think in add more than one detail texture to avoid the tiling and edge inconsistency in some joints. Is that?

A good solution, imho. No problem. Anyway right now, is not working bad at all, is just that the mirroring in the ecuator is too obvious if you set the detail higher than the main texture.

I'm more afraid about the "offset" setting because now I can't create cloud animations beyond the horizontal direction. My Eve clouds animations in 7-4, as example, moves every cloud map in little different axis, to blend better the textures, creating a more random and natural cloud mixing. Would be that possible in the next version?

Oh gosh... Hmmm... I guess with the new texturing mechanism, we might be able to do something like that. Might be able to add a "swizzling" effect for the axis.

Btw, the stock horizon is (barely but) visible again in 0.90

Technically, I never removed it, just draw on-top of it :) I finally nailed down the integral I'll be using to calculate the opacity of atmospheres. Hopefully I'll get this in tonight.

maths if anyone is interested: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/znnspbxpw6

x is the camera distance, y is the "opacityFactor", n is the distance the camera is along the perpendicular, r is the atmosphere radius, and d is the min distance to the perpendicular from the center of the sphere. The blue line is the Max distance until the end of the atmosphere is reached.

Red is the unoptimized version, straight from the integral form, and orange/yellow is the slightly more optimized form I should be using.

Edited by rbray89

wow. Note to self, do not question rbray Math

You can't even imagine, lol... ride the new atmo system took me all night. Results are much, much, muuuch nicer and natural but, to set a credible atmo as you want, without serious math knowledge is quite hard... But aside, every step forward that Rbray does with this mod turns it bigger and much better...

I'm sure that this gonna blow peoples mind in the release. Amazing-Powerful-Heavy tool over here...

Btw RBray, I bet you know this but if not: the new atmo system looks amazingly well, but turns to the dark in a weird mode, like switched (the atmospheric glow dissapears completely at the lighted side and is still visible in the dark).

You can't even imagine, lol... ride the new atmo system took me all night. Results are much, much, muuuch nicer and natural but, to set a credible atmo as you want, without serious math knowledge is quite hard... But aside, every step forward that Rbray does with this mod turns it bigger and much better...

I'm sure that this gonna blow peoples mind in the release. Amazing-Powerful-Heavy tool over here...

Btw RBray, I bet you know this but if not: the new atmo system looks amazingly well, but turns to the dark in a weird mode, like switched (the atmospheric glow dissapears completely at the lighted side and is still visible in the dark).

Yeah, I have to figure out a good lighting system to correctly render the scattering and (hopefully) red sunsets:)

In other news: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/pisfzpljko I think I finally pegged down the correct form to generate a realistic atmosphere. Modeling density as an inverse function of radius (instead of the root as I had assumed) and taking the integral leads to a summation of the density along the path traveled. At least, this is the theory... I have two different functions to try out :)

Yeah, I have to figure out a good lighting system to correctly render the scattering and (hopefully) red sunsets:)

In other news: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/pisfzpljko I think I finally pegged down the correct form to generate a realistic atmosphere. Modeling density as an inverse function of radius (instead of the root as I had assumed) and taking the integral leads to a summation of the density along the path traveled. At least, this is the theory... I have two different functions to try out :)

I'm having beautiful sunsets right now. You mean about changes in sun light color from ground? beyond the atmo color change?

That would be amazing... Is possible to add a little amount of the color scattering from the sunset to the clouds? With all this you can make us to puke rainbows...

I'm having beautiful sunsets right now. You mean about changes in sun light color from ground? beyond the atmo color change?

That would be amazing... Is possible to add a little amount of the color scattering from the sunset to the clouds? With all this you can make us to puke rainbows...

Yeah, that would be the idea.

I've been thinking of integrating the 2d cloud layers into the atmosphere rendering as an optimization/enhancement anyways. The downside is that there would be a hard limit on the max number of 2d cloud layers (probably 2-3).

That is an insanely good feature! Cant you avoid the layer limit doing that feature optional for the layer? I mean, in planets with thick atmosphere, away from the secound or third layer the clouds don't be very affected by the light... Anyways, If it's mandatory, please at least 3.

This is my Kerbin right now... (WIP)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And I was thinking... Please Rbray, don't limit the layers. Right now works amazing! You can see the last atmo system (two layers, blended and at different hights), different altitudes and sizes in the clouds (two layers), with his procedural clouds... plus "procedural" dust, which floats all along from ground to the clouds and, sometimes, makes small lenticular bokehs in the proximity to the cam (a few layers more). Runs so perfectly and is so pretty... please don't take it away from me now. lol

Edited by Proot

Heh, while you're thinking atmosphere, I have a suggesto-request. :D

Ambient lighting. In particular, ambient lighting is a flat value per planet and a flat value in space (right now), modulo what PlanetShine does. What I'd love to see is, for bodies with atmosphere, it vary based on whether it's day or night. I.e. only a bit at night, a moderate (and somewhat reddish probably) amount at sunrise/sunset, and a goodly amount during the day (to fake radiosity and atmo scattering as cheaply as possible). Right now either you get bright nights or uber-contrast days.

Heh, while you're thinking atmosphere, I have a suggesto-request. :D

Ambient lighting. In particular, ambient lighting is a flat value per planet and a flat value in space (right now), modulo what PlanetShine does. What I'd love to see is, for bodies with atmosphere, it vary based on whether it's day or night. I.e. only a bit at night, a moderate (and somewhat reddish probably) amount at sunrise/sunset, and a goodly amount during the day (to fake radiosity and atmo scattering as cheaply as possible). Right now either you get bright nights or uber-contrast days.

and more with equator proximity? I like it. I'll have to look into doing this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.