[v0.17] Damned Aerospace Version 1.5.3 + Crewtank

DYJ

Ok guys, I\'m really having trouble 'launching' choppers from the pad. I need some ideas Please.

My favorite configuration is to attach 3 symmetrical radial decouplers, and 3 srb\'s on them, and then attach a radial decoupler on the back of the helicopter, and another rotor on that decoupler. Then, when the SRB\'s burn out, detach the counterweight and the SRBs, and level out. I also recommend NOT using wings on your helicopter, it flies and looks a lot better without them.

Warning: LOTS OF HUGE PHOTOS:

screenshot3.png

On the launch pad

screenshot5.png

Going up

screenshot6.png

SRB\'s out, decouple them and the underside rotor

screenshot8-1.png

After leveling out, decouple wings

screenshot10.png

SOAR, SOAR ABOVE THE CLOUDS

So, that\'s pretty much it. It can be adapted to any vessel that has a definite tail. If you don\'t, well, I don\'t know :P.

I had stopped modding, but apparently, I seriously need to join modders annonymous.

I finally got the 'death ray'/CoM/VAB offset half fixed by bringing your model above origin, and flipping it upside down and backward. Then redoing the nodes to make it attach right, and the ray comes out the top of the rotor instead of down from above, with thrustCenter adjusted.

deathray.jpg

Unfortunately, negative thrust and negative thrustAxis both just make the engine do nothing but burn fuel. Someone obviously thought it would be fun to add an extra clamp0 in the code somewhere. Probably the same someone who made the node 'vector' ignore negative alignment, making this impossible to stack attach like I had it earlier.

About the exploding engine thing, the death ray gives a message that it damaged the part below it, but the only way I could get an actual explosion was bumping the heatProduction to 1000, and that only exploded the engine itself unless it was surface attached. Why your rotors are producing rocket exhaust heat to begin with is a bit of a question, but the only actual damage seemed to be just the engine overheating, unrelated to the position/orientation of the deathray.

I\'m now determined to find out where the major malfunction is with the vectors and thrust clamp, and I went and registered that copy of MSVC#.

I\'m all out of bubblegum now, and I\'m about to put on my angry pointers. It was a line I didn\'t want to cross, but the code just wouldn\'t listen.

I just wanted to say, this is all YOUR fault, Damnyoujapan!

Huge props for this mod - 8)

I have some question and possibly requests regarding airbreathing engines:

1. I have snooped around in the config file and noticed these lines:

efficiencyASL = 2

efficiencyVacuum = 0

Does this mean that the engines still use 100% fuel over time, even though the thrust is 0% when you try to use them in vacuum? (Ie, do they deplete tanks in vacuum). Can this be rectified so that fuel consumption is proportional to airpreassure?

2. Is there any way of adding airspeed as a factor in engine thrust? (I am thinking ramjects/scramjets who can operate in very nearly vacuum, but only at large mach-numbers, like 5 and above).

Something like: Maxthrust * efficiency(at current altitude) * airspeed(some constant). The constant could possibly be 0.005, that way thrust would increase linearly, starting with 100% thrust at 200 m/s, and being 800% at 1600 m/s.

Cheers! I wish I had the time to learn to script myself, damn work all day long...

I had stopped modding, but apparently, I seriously need to join modders annonymous.

I finally got the 'death ray'/CoM/VAB offset half fixed by bringing your model above origin, and flipping it upside down and backward. Then redoing the nodes to make it attach right, and the ray comes out the top of the rotor instead of down from above, with thrustCenter adjusted.

deathray.jpg

Unfortunately, negative thrust and negative thrustAxis both just make the engine do nothing but burn fuel. Someone obviously thought it would be fun to add an extra clamp0 in the code somewhere. Probably the same someone who made the node 'vector' ignore negative alignment, making this impossible to stack attach like I had it earlier.

About the exploding engine thing, the death ray gives a message that it damaged the part below it, but the only way I could get an actual explosion was bumping the heatProduction to 1000, and that only exploded the engine itself unless it was surface attached. Why your rotors are producing rocket exhaust heat to begin with is a bit of a question, but the only actual damage seemed to be just the engine overheating, unrelated to the position/orientation of the deathray.

I\'m now determined to find out where the major malfunction is with the vectors and thrust clamp, and I went and registered that copy of MSVC#.

I\'m all out of bubblegum now, and I\'m about to put on my angry pointers. It was a line I didn\'t want to cross, but the code just wouldn\'t listen.

I just wanted to say, this is all YOUR fault, Damnyoujapan!

Angry pointers?

int *angry; //FTW

AngryPointer->Fix(&LiquidEngine.thrustVector, Now) was reflected by undocumented dll class

Kellven cancels Fix Item: Sourcode inaccessible

Kellven cancels Fix Item: Throwing tantrum

Seriously, over a month now, and not a single source release. There\'s only about 15 or so part types, is Squad really worried counterfeit parts will be sold in front of Walmart? Almost every single plugin made so far violates the EULA because they never gave us the source for the parts.

The only way I could see to do it is to hijack liquid engine calls, shunt them to solid rocket members, and hope for the best. Too much headache to even try now.

Project KSC2KSC is a success, nonstop flight from KSC to the other KSC under 6km altitude, took an hour and 15minutes.

YeVNz.jpg

Maybe I\'m a tad behind the times.... but the other KSC ??? Where\'s it at? I feel so out of the loop! Details please!!!

Also, this plugin is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing! Thanks heaps!

RedKiteer: Look in the easter egg thread

Kellven: I don\'t really understand anything you are saying, but r4m0ns sourcecode which this is based on is available in all of his threads.

Jouzu: 1.Having the fuel usage proportional to the altitude sort of ruins the efficiency loss at altitude don\'t you think? Since you always have the option to shut the engines down this shouldn\'t really be a issue.

2. This is a good suggestion and something we have been discussing previously, it might come in a later release.

Currently the only suggestion I\'ve seen is a smaller helicopterunit, is there anything else?

dJtHj.png

Take that slippery VAB roof!

Smaller helicopterunit as per someones request (disregard the lack of tailrotor in the picture).

V-22 osprey engines are number 4 on my to do list I think, but tiltrotors are already possible (but not released) check out the rototron demo video.

Anything else I should add to the list?

I know one should never cross the streams, but I just couldn\'t help myself, so I made the rotors run on my LH2 tanks. Then I noticed a distinct absence of 3m command pods in my folder.

humungus.jpg

Now, my prisoners say you plan to take your gasoline out of the Wasteland.

You sent them out this morning to find a vehicle.

A rig big enough to haul that fat tank of gas.

What a puny plan!

Look around you.

Nothing can escape! The Humungus rules the Wasteland!

lordhumungus0.jpg

lordhumungus1.jpg

8 x 2m rockets wouldn\'t lift this tub, but 14 additional propfans did the trick.

For some reason, the props still spin in space, I thought there was a section in the code about air pressure and prop rpm, perhaps I misread it. Or my potatoputer may have just been bugging with the 294 kerbograms of LOX I was hauling.

lordhumungus2.jpg

To Damnyoujapan:

I don\'t have anything you need to worry about. Keep on trucking with what you were doing.

I wasn\'t referring to r4m0n\'s code before, I checked that first, and it was fine. The case of the missing thrustAxis is in the actual base class, LiquidEngine. It\'s the base game part classes that haven\'t been documented or source released, r4m0n\'s code is all there to be parsed like it should be.

I may be imagining things, but I think the shifted origin trick also throws off the net CoM of the part. Not a huge issue as you made the shifted parts ultra light. The problem is this also gives them an enormous Thrust:Mass, which I ran into trying to adjust them to SE 2 ratings so I could use them semi-legit for the first 10km of reaching orbit. That\'s why I was trying to find another solution. The work fine for cruising around in airplane mode though.

Of course, I still couldn\'t come up with an actual mechanical reason to use props on a launch vehicle, but they just looked cool, so I made them high ISP high T:M.

Ed: Congrats on landing a helo on the VAB, I had to use a massive RCS system to get the truckodyne to set down without bowling the other rockets over.

The helicopter part DEFINATLY takes a LOT of practice to get to where i can actually fly, not simply flip gracefully end over end and smash into the ground.

On that note, for some reason, anything I use a prop on seems to be really nose heavy; I mean, I throttle down in preparation to land, and try to bring my nose up to kill speed. And instead slowly have the nose come down until I pick up speed and smash into the ground. IDK, it might just be screwing up my designs, but I\'ve tested about a dozen different planes, and they all like to nose dive into the ground....

I think it\'s either that the thrust for the puller engines is coming from 15m in front of you(center of thrust? I\'m so confused), or that the CoM of the part is 15m in front of where it attaches, but physics is one of those things public education failed to impart to me.

Either way, try adding a little more mass to the back end, and see if that balances it out, or add more claw canards forward.

I didn\'t have too much issue with the puller helo unit, once it was horizontal. The quad puller prop I tried was uncontrollable once it pitched horizontal, as you were describing.

I did have another idea on the deathray issue, make it an RCS 'engine', but then I remembered that only uses the RCS controls and ignores throttle. Definitely some strange changes happening inside the mechjeb code from what I\'m reading now. I\'m beginning to wonder if there isn\'t some hyperspace communication network between coders I\'m just not tuned into.

Could you also make normal 3 blade rotor blades the same size as the coax ones, please?

I\'m presuming he made it a coaxial so that he wouldn\'t need to go through a lot of trouble getting the maths just right to get it to spin the craft one way whilst having a second tail rotor push it the other. This is just simpler.