[v0.17] Damned Aerospace Version 1.5.3 + Crewtank

DYJ

Is it possible, perhaps, to replace the model and graphics for the Hitchhiker module with those of the Crew Tank? It's a beautiful addition to the game and it would be sad if I had to use that ugly old Pringles can instead of that.

Wouldn't just replacing the .mu and .mbms for the Hitchhiker also work? However, I'm not seeing how it inherits the texture.

[EDIT: Surprisingly, I got it to work - but the scale is off somehow...]

PPD-10Xscale_zps72f203a0.jpg

This is just for my own education and enjoyment - I'm not looking to distribute others' work. That said, if DYJ wanted to make an "official" .21 update of this component I would be overjoyed!

Edited by HeadHunter67

I REALLY doubt that would work, it'd be more conventional to just tweak the cfg.

EDIT: woah, I didn't know that was possible :D are the connection nodes where they need to be though?

Edited by KAO

So... maybe copying most of the crewCabin .cfg into the CrewTank part rather than the other way around? Not sure how/if/what that changes anything... but it's worth a try.

I'm also tinkering with the rescalefactor value.

Wait... I know why the scale is off... it's because the original was designated as a fuel tank part. I'll bet that's all I need to change to get this to work - we'll know as soon as I can figure out how that's done in the new system.

Edited by HeadHunter67

EUREKA! I got it to the right size. I figured, if I want it to be a 2.5m diameter part, I could try setting the rescalefactor to 1.25 and that worked perfectly.

Essentially, there's no difference between copying the Hitchhiker config to the CrewTank models, or the CrewTank models to the Hitchhiker config, of course. It's just a matter of getting the models working in the new system with the necessary values.

It's not functionally any different than the Hitchhiker, it's just got a nicer appearance. The only thing that's not perfect is that the square exterior windows on the outside don't correspond in shape to the round windows of the IVA - but passengers can still see out the windows fine.

I want to reiterate, as I said in a previous post, that I don't intend to distribute this. It's not my work and not my property. All I did was tweak the config to make it usable for myself in 0.21 - partly because this is so much nicer looking than the Hitchhiker, and partly to teach myself modding. I don't want to step on any toes or take any liberties here.

Edited by HeadHunter67

• 2 months later...

Sgt Ark, this mod is very old and is not compatible with this version of KSP. Now this isn't always true, but most of the time mods only work if they are updated for the version of KSP you are using. The current version of KSP is 0.22, however the title states that this mod is for 0.17. If a mod is for 0.21.x for example, the x means that the mod would be for any version of 0.21. It is confusing I know, don't beat yourself up :)

After adding {part} + techinfo ... should still work?

Not sure about the propellers, they might be using a plugin, but I'm not sure. The crewtank should work. Anyway, I'm going to try to get the crew tank working, it's very cool.

This addon is over a year old, DA is not going to work. If someone wants to resurrect the crewtank feel free to do so, but create a new thread for it.

Locking this.