[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Are all of the moons, planets and bodies mappable in this version? Are all of the artifacts/easter eggs also mapped out on them or are there any undiscovered ones?

Considering I found a glitched artifact underneath the surface of the Mun, I think the plugin detects everything just fine.

1.) If you are having trouble viewing lat/long and cool little compass symbol then you need to look about post number #638 about linking the files from a terminal (command prompt).

ln -s '/Users//Library/Application Support/KSP_osx/Parts' '/Users//Library/Application Support/KSP_osx/KSP.app'

I've done this, and it does work the first time I run KSP afterwards. However as soon as I relaunch the game ALL map textures have gotten completely scrambled. The buttons are mysteriously unharmed though...

I despirately want to use this mod so please tell me if I'm just missing something obvious! :(

Having fun with this plugin, been doing more mapping than flying :-)

Anyway, got a couple questions. First, has anyone found it's better to have a low orbit that concentrates the mapping beam, but makes the ground speed faster because the orbit is low? I just put a satellite into Minmus orbit at 8Km and it's whipping over the terrain, so that got me thinking it might be going too fast to collect decent data. Is there a trade off / sweet spot? Anyone figure out the optimal orbital heights for all the planets/moons yet?

I've noticed on my data files when I render a new high res map (3200) that my Mun and Minmus maps have a spot on each that seems to be completely out of place from what I can only assume is corrupted height data. Will this self-correct once I fly over that spot again, or is that data always going to be there? If so, is there any easy way to delete the corrupt data from the CSV file without dumping the entire file?

Hello, everyone be around for a while, but wanted to provided some help to my fellow Mac users.

First let me say what a great plug-in, getting it to work this will with Windows and Mac is a great feet it self. So thanks for all the hard work.

1.) If you are having trouble viewing lat/long and cool little compass symbol then you need to look about post number #638 about linking the files from a terminal (command prompt).

ln -s '/Users//Library/Application Support/KSP_osx/Parts' '/Users//Library/Application Support/KSP_osx/KSP.app'

Now for the long part over the past month or so I have been working on using GNUplot to plot the cvs data from ISAMapper and here are some of the results:

Full mapping of IKE:

[attach]34208[/attach]

Moho in progress:

[attach]34209[/attach]

Full mapping of Duna:

[attach]34210[/attach]

Hope you like not sure why the images are small.

This map projections where done with using bash scripting and GNUPlot:

Attached is the bash script I wrote to make it all work, I am not an expert so don't get picky it's a work in progress. Here is the help section from script, it should help with your questions:

Kerbol Celestial Body Projection Plotter

Version: 1.2.4
File Name: KCBPP.sh
Last updated: 29 September 2012
Author: Todd Gibson [email protected]

This script will plot elevation data received from the ISA MAPSAT plugin
from Kerbal Space Program (See: kerbalspaceprogram.com). You must have
GNUPLOT installed for it to work. (Tested with KSP 0.17 MAC and ISA MAPSAT
3.3.0)

This script has been tested on OS X Mountain Lion (See: www.apple.com)
with GNUPLOT 4.6 (See: http://www.gnuplot.info) installed with
Mac Port (See: http://www.macports.org).

USAGE:
KCBPP.sh -F [Input File] - L [Label File] -P [Palette] -h -c -s -p -a

OPTIONS:

Required Flages:

-F ISA MAPSAT Common Value Separated (.cvs) file to be plotted
required or no plot.
-P Set the color palette to use, options are:

BW - Black and white (Default).
RB - Rainbow Blue-Green-Red.
VM - Vomit (Very Ugly).
LS - Land/Sea for plantes with liquid on the surface.
NG - Negative looks like a black and white negative.
BG - Blue/Green good for seeing the bottom of craters.
PY - Purple/Red/Yellow gnuplot default color palette.

Use one or all Projections:

-c Plot a simply Cylindrical Map Projection.
-s Plot a Spherical Map Projection (Currently in work).
-p Plot a Polar Map Projection (not currently working).

Not Required:

-L A file contating a list of decimal latuide and longitude labels
of location to be plotted on projection. The file needs to have
one entry for each line and be in the format Latuide, Longitude,
and Label with a semicolon';' seprating each item.
-a Plot artefacts based on ISA MAPSAT data.

EXAMPLE:
CBPP.sh -c -F ~/KSP/pluginData/isa_mapsat/Duna_elevation.csv -P BW

NOTES:
1) Options do not need to be in an particular order.
2) Could really use some help understanding GNUPLOT palettes.

KNOW ISSUES:
1.) When artefacts are plotted if they are close together then labels may
overlay. KCBPP adds 10 degrees to the latitude and longitude for the labels
position. No plan to fix at this time.
2.) Space in the Label will don't work yet.

Ok now that you have read it here is how to get it working.

1.) Visit the MacPort web site and install MacPort. ( The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X operating system.)

2.) Install GNUPlot using MacPort.

3.) Save the attached script to your Mac ( I put it in my home directory /Users/username/)

4.) Run KSP and collect data from ISAMap Sat, remember to turn on store raw data.

5.) Now open and terminal window and run my script either change the file name to KCBPP and set the bit or just type bash KCBPP_1.2.4.sh.txt (command line options).

Example command line:

bash KCBPP_1.2.4.sh.txt -a -c -P RB -F ~/map_sat_data/Duna_elevation.csv
I see we are going to plot Duna...
I see we are working with Duna and you what to include artefacts, lets begin...
The Rainbow palette will be used for the projections...
Converting and Sorting Duna data...
Plotting Duna as a Cylindrical Map Projection...
Cleaning up temp files...
+--------------Opening Map Projections------------+
|Files are located in: |
/Users/userdirectory
+-------------------------------------------------+
|Duna Projects: |
Duna_Cylindrical.png

Enjoy - I am still working on the spherical and polar plot options, I hope to move this to Python, but that might take a bit with learning curve.

Ill be honest, ive got no idea what you mean or how to do it (my fault, not yours). i just know that all the textures are broken, and that the map data resets every time i relaunch the game. how would i fix that? (i also installed the macports thing, but it doesnt show up. how do i use it?) id appreciate any help. thanks.

Macports is a command line utility. It's used the same way as apt-get and other package managers.

sudo port install gnuplot

i did that, and its convinced xcode isnt installed once i did it, so it says most ports will fail.

EDIT: ive gotten the textures to work, but the map itself still resets each time i launch the game. and its weird, it shows the locations of all the anomalies still (provided i had scanned them out before), but the actual elevation map in the background is gone back to that blue with red lines jumbled mess. this is really irritating, because i would like to have that so i can tell where the anomalies are using visual cluse rather than just coordinates. and yes, i have store raw map data on. anyone have any idea how to fix this?

EDIT#2: allright, i kind of get what this is supposed to do now. but i dont know how to run this script. help?

Edited by 123kde

First of all:

You're awesome. <3

Secondly.

The ISA_MapGen.exe that comes with the distribution works great with wine in producing images.

how do you open it in wine? im trying it, but when i try and launch it using the app that it created (im using wine bottler btw), it crashes on launch

Hello,

I will look into the mac thing, wasn't aware until careo notified me, been ill and otherwise busy.

I'll see about working on mapsat in the coming days and release a fixed version for macs, probably in the weekend.

@123kde No but I can only spend so much time working on a mod and I don't frequent the forums much.

I do this in my spare time after all without any benefit in return.

Also the last release was pretty recent, bit odd to think it's suddenly dead lol.

I've been ill as said, still am. A lot of stuff going on irl too. Helping out here and there with other people's mods and working on another mod of my own as well.

The issue is a simple file path problem. I'll see about it this week.

Apart from needing this fix out soon for macs I've been working on new features for mapsat so it's anything but dead.

Cheers all and thanks for using kerbalnet's link, I can't believe how many downloads I had in such a short time.

Any word on what I pm'd you about? I've been trying to make it work, but I've got nothing.

If you are using another part instead of the dish the problem is most likely a lot of null reference errors, the dish animation in mapsat is done by code so it's looking for dish model parts that aren't there if you use a different part and such null references can halt the rest of the code from running properly.

Hello,

I will look into the mac thing, wasn't aware until careo notified me, been ill and otherwise busy.

I'll see about working on mapsat in the coming days and release a fixed version for macs, probably in the weekend.

@123kde No but I can only spend so much time working on a mod and I don't frequent the forums much.

I do this in my spare time after all without any benefit in return.

Also the last release was pretty recent, bit odd to think it's suddenly dead lol.

I've been ill as said, still am. A lot of stuff going on irl too. Helping out here and there with other people's mods and working on another mod of my own as well.

The issue is a simple file path problem. I'll see about it this week.

Apart from needing this fix out soon for macs I've been working on new features for mapsat so it's anything but dead.

Cheers all and thanks for using kerbalnet's link, I can't believe how many downloads I had in such a short time.

oh, no, i didnt mean it like that. i knew that you were only one person, so you were probably busy. i was talking about the other script, the one a little further up. ive been trying desperately to get it to work, and was wondering if i was missing a major part of it. and i chose bad wording with the thread dead thing. i ment like the specific part referring to the script. anyway, i wasnt trying to be like a jerk expecting you to work on the mod 24/7 or any thing past reasonable time, as i understand you made it for recreation. hope i didnt offend

Thanks for this, I have ISA MapSat on all my ships, cant enjoy KSP without the added depth of this mod.

So thanks for continuing on improving it and fixing the Mac version (so I dont have to manually save my maps everytime I start KSP).

May I pose a suggestion?

Some sort of clear GUI maps button within the gui?? I usually run a ton of mapping missions to the same body to try and get ultra-highres maps. I usually need to exit KSP and erase the gui maps in the plugin data folder every time I want a clear picture of what's remaining to map. Is it possible to add a mechanism to clear the map for the current body in the gui without requiring me to exit KSP and then reopen it?

Thanks for this, I have ISA MapSat on all my ships, cant enjoy KSP without the added depth of this mod.

So thanks for continuing on improving it and fixing the Mac version (so I dont have to manually save my maps everytime I start KSP).

wait, you got the auto-load maps thing for macs fixed? if you did, cld you plz tell me how?

You know what would be cool, if you had a small device (transponder) that you can use on all your ships/rovers so you know exactly where you are on a planet. But it wont be able to make maps. That way you can use the maps without having a bulky dish onboard.

I wish i knew how to make something like that, but i find Sketchup to be a challenge, so...

But if someone could put something like that together that would be great!

oh, no, i didnt mean it like that. i knew that you were only one person, so you were probably busy. i was talking about the other script, the one a little further up. ive been trying desperately to get it to work, and was wondering if i was missing a major part of it. and i chose bad wording with the thread dead thing. i ment like the specific part referring to the script. anyway, i wasnt trying to be like a jerk expecting you to work on the mod 24/7 or any thing past reasonable time, as i understand you made it for recreation. hope i didnt offend

O you didn't just explaining my absence and why the mac thing hasn't been fixed yet :)

I'll be releasing a completely different mod soon. It's a bit experimental. Then it's mapsat's turn to get fixed for macs. I hope that won't be too much work.

As for wine I have no clue honestly.

It's written for windows. It should just look for csv's in the same folder it's in and render but I have no idea how wine handles this.

Maybe I can set up a vm to test on. Will see what I can do.

You know what would be cool, if you had a small device (transponder) that you can use on all your ships/rovers so you know exactly where you are on a planet. But it wont be able to make maps. That way you can use the maps without having a bulky dish onboard.

I wish i knew how to make something like that, but i find Sketchup to be a challenge, so...

But if someone could put something like that together that would be great!

Something like that is planned already, the part's already made :)

May I pose a suggestion?

Some sort of clear GUI maps button within the gui?? I usually run a ton of mapping missions to the same body to try and get ultra-highres maps. I usually need to exit KSP and erase the gui maps in the plugin data folder every time I want a clear picture of what's remaining to map. Is it possible to add a mechanism to clear the map for the current body in the gui without requiring me to exit KSP and then reopen it?

Some planned features will make this request obsolete, that's all I can say for now :P

Edited by Innsewerants

how do you open it in wine? im trying it, but when i try and launch it using the app that it created (im using wine bottler btw), it crashes on launch

it is a command line tool, I do not use wine to run it, I use mono and it works like a charm. Install mono, found here, then open a terminal in the directory withe the .csv files, then just enter "mono ./ISA_MapGen.exe"

Then again reading back I see you are on a mac. He may be referencing Linux wine, and I am referencing linux mono, but the mac mono should work just as well. There are some difference between the mac and linux wine so some things that work in wine under mac may not in linux and vice versa. With wine even being on different systems can mess things up.

Edited by NolanSyKinsley

Just uploaded 3.3.1 Minor fix update.

-Should fix the problem on macs.

-Added a "GPS" Part

The GPS part simply uses what data you have, maps, artefact locations etc. It can't scan but it's very compact for mobility.

Let me know if the mac issue is solved or any other problems :)

-Added a "GPS" Part

The GPS part simply uses what data you have, maps, artefact locations etc. It can't scan but it's very compact for mobility.

I'm using version 3.3.0.0 right now.

If I upgrade to the new version will it break my mapping satellites and/or erase all my maps?

I'm using version 3.3.0.0 right now.

If I upgrade to the new version will it break my mapping satellites and/or erase all my maps?

No shouldn't happen I haven't changed anything about the texture format.

It adds a part, the dish is still there too and hasn't changed.

Otherwise it only fixes filepath issues with macs.

No shouldn't happen I haven't changed anything about the texture format.

It adds a part, the dish is still there too and hasn't changed.

Otherwise it only fixes filepath issues with macs.

Will we ever see a "folding" animation for the Mapsat?

-Added a "GPS" Part

its... *sniff sniff* so... beautiful! :D its fixed! im so happy to be able to finally see my maps again!. just thought you should know though, the coords youd normally get when mousing over the map are now gone. just in case you wanted to know. im perfectly happy with visual clues alone. anyway, thanks again! :)