[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Someone has indeed. It's linked in the K2 thread, but for your convenience, go here.

Can't speak in regards to the working state/quality, I just noticed it existed.

I have many problems with this config. After installation some orbits and body sizes are messed up and some are not - e.g. Tekto's orbit is right, while Hale's and Ovok's orbits are wrong. @Eudae55 would it be possible to distribute configs for 2K (and maybe other Kerbol resize mods) with OPM?

I have many problems with this config. After installation some orbits and body sizes are messed up and some are not - e.g. Tekto's orbit is right, while Hale's and Ovok's orbits are wrong. @Eudae55 would it be possible to distribute configs for 2K (and maybe other Kerbol resize mods) with OPM?

It's quite possible that Hale's and Ovok's orbits are not wrong at all, but Sarnus' rings are.

I encountered this when toying with resizing configs using KopernicusTech. A lot of things that involve the use of the Kittopia tools don't just magically work when you change planet radius and such. For example you don't even see that a planet's size has changed until you manually re-create the scaledspace mesh from Kittopia's tool menu. If you don't, then you will continue seeing the planet at its base size in scaledspace (map view and from above a certain distance in flight view), even if the actual planet is 100 times the size of what it was. This means you can actually fly towards a rescaled planet, thinking you're a million miles away, when suddenly you're close enough that it comes out of scaledspace - and out of nowhere the massive wall of its surface fills the screen entirely, rushing towards you at breakneck speed, moments from impact.

Similarly, the rings of Sarnus are completely out of whack in terms of scaling if all you do is adjusting Sarnus' radius. The rings will be scaling up much more than you intended, which results in Hale not orbiting in the ring gap. Not because Hale is positioned wrong, but because the ring gap is positioned wrong. You need to manually fix the rings so that the gap once again lines up with Hale's new orbit.

I eventually stopped toying with it because the more I dived into it, the more I discovered that "just resize the SMA and planet radius values" is absolutely not enough to make a resizing config. That's just the easy first part of a looooong list of things that break as a result of doing so. The two above? Just the tip of the iceberg.

It's quite possible that Hale's and Ovok's orbits are not wrong at all, but Sarnus' rings are.

I encountered this when toying with resizing configs using KopernicusTech. A lot of things that involve the use of the Kittopia tools don't just magically work when you change planet radius and such. For example you don't even see that a planet's size has changed until you manually re-create the scaledspace mesh from Kittopia's tool menu. If you don't, then you will continue seeing the planet at its base size in scaledspace (map view and from above a certain distance in flight view), even if the actual planet is 100 times the size of what it was. This means you can actually fly towards a rescaled planet, thinking you're a million miles away, when suddenly you're close enough that it comes out of scaledspace - and out of nowhere the massive wall of its surface fills the screen entirely, rushing towards you at breakneck speed, moments from impact.

Similarly, the rings of Sarnus are completely out of whack in terms of scaling if all you do is adjusting Sarnus' radius. The rings will be scaling up much more than you intended, which results in Hale not orbiting in the ring gap. Not because Hale is positioned wrong, but because the ring gap is positioned wrong. You need to manually fix the rings so that the gap once again lines up with Hale's new orbit.

I eventually stopped toying with it because the more I dived into it, the more I discovered that "just resize the SMA and planet radius values" is absolutely not enough to make a resizing config. That's just the easy first part of a looooong list of things that break as a result of doing so. The two above? Just the tip of the iceberg.

Yes, Sarnus rings are scaled completely wrong but something happened to those moons as well. E.g. Ovok orbits Sarnus at a distance of 1500 km after 2k installation.

Edited by Walker

lol THis is a message only for EUDAE 55! Pls dont read if you aren't him.

Hello sir how do i calculate the stuffs if I only have elemteary math scooling?

use excel

EDIT:

WAIT... why am I a moderator???

EDITEDIT:

wait, why are everybody moderators?

EDITEDITEDIT:

ORBIT:

SMA - multiply by 2

everything else - keep the same

PLANET:

radius - multiply by 2

mass - multiply by 4

geeASL - keep the same

rotation - multiply by 2 (assuming you want the same linear speed, keep the same if you want the same angular speed)

tell me if I forgot something

Edited by Sigma88

With the new powers of moderation vested in me I duely ban the above poster.

On a more serious (and less April-like) note, is there any news on 1.7/2.0/whatever the next version will be?

Plus, for anyone who has lost their OPM ring textures, it seems that installing Trans-Keptunian and THEN OPM 1.6.5 brings them back.

With the new powers of moderation vested in me I duely ban the above poster.

On a more serious (and less April-like) note, is there any news on 1.7/2.0/whatever the next version will be?

Plus, for anyone who has lost their OPM ring textures, it seems that installing Trans-Keptunian and THEN OPM 1.6.5 brings them back.

It's going to be 1.7. It depends on the development speed of that mod but I think I want to convert the mod to the new Kopernicus. The devs have just released a great pre-release that already does a lot of wonderful things and looking at the GitHub the next updates are going to be even more feature-packed. Here's some of the things that the next release of Kopernicus will do for OPM:

-No more transparent ring around gas giants with rings obscuring part of said rings. Sarnus and Urlum will finally look like they're supposed to

-No more KittopiaTech. The less plugins this mod is based the more stable it will be. The new Kopernicus has all the features of Kittopia (rings, etc.)

-Scaled space camera maximum view distance is automatically adjusted. This fixes an occasional bug for people that meant they couldn't zoom out very far from the expanded OPM solar system

-Log system that outputs logs per body. Will make identifying bugs a lot easier

-Distance from KSC calculation now correct. Fixes a long standing bug in OPM

The devs are also hot on the trail of the contract disappearance bug that has been experienced all too often lately. Might even have been fixed if the cause has been identified correctly. All in all this new Kopernicus has massive promise for OPM and can really elevate it to stock level quality. We had that in form (thanks to Eudae55s graphics skills) but now it seems also the function.

Edited by CaptRobau

It's going to be 1.7. It depends on the development speed of that mod but I think I want to convert the mod to the new Kopernicus. The devs have just released a great pre-release that already does a lot of wonderful things and looking at the GitHub the next updates are going to be even more feature-packed. Here's some of the things that the next release of Kopernicus will do for OPM:

-No more transparent ring around gas giants with rings obscuring part of said rings. Sarnus and Urlum will finally look like they're supposed to

-No more KittopiaTech. The less plugins this mod is based the more stable it will be. The new Kopernicus has all the features of Kittopia (rings, etc.)

-Scaled space camera maximum view distance is automatically adjusted. This fixes an occasional bug for people that meant they couldn't zoom out very far from the expanded OPM solar system

The devs are also hot on the trail of the contract disappearance bug that has been experienced all too often lately. Might even have been fixed if the cause has been identified correctly. All in all this new Kopernicus has massive promise for OPM and can really elevate it to stock level quality. We had that in form (thanks to Eudae55s graphics skills) but now it seems also the function.

This is all definitely good news :)

I was asked about this by another user a while back, I forget the name, but she was making a mod with multiple star systems that was having a similar issue. I don't know much about how custom celestials work, but in my brief time looking into this, this is what I noticed.

Contracts can handle CelestialBodies with custom properties, as NathanKell of RSS can attest, but each body needs to be unique. To be more specific, I think the issue lies in how Kopernicus uses template PSystemBodies. In the Outer Planets mod, Neidon, Sarnus, and Urlum are all templated off of Jool. Plock is templated off of Vall. Once the template is loaded, it has many values and maps overwritten with custom ones, but the fact that it is being loaded off of a stock planet remains, and it even looks like it might have been assigned by reference, which means things are being overwritten on the template planet. I can see how stock code might get disoriented.

I've attempted to address the issue of importing the progress tree here (stock bodies will preserve, custom ones default to generating their own)

https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/commit/bc72f0df09c9157868e665488e36354006314df3

This would explain things, if it was trying to access these planets before their indices were set up, but they should set up at the same time as the other planets.

I still put my money here. With three planets in OPM templated off of Jool, this line can't be good. Of those three planets, I imagine only the last one is getting a proper flightGlobalsIndex. Is there any way to spawn these planets without a template? If you look down below, Kopernicus does seem to support this.

This issue wasn't due to the template bodies having a conflicting flight globals index, but rather due to the fact that the flightGlobalsIndex didn't correspond to the position in FlightGlobals.Bodies[]. This has been fixed

https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/commit/cf233a80a8fc0e190f99353f3c7fa56955eac039

The original goal was (and still is) to provide a method of generating planets without requiring template clones, and to do so before the game starts so the game accepts the custom system. The Template { } config option was provided merely as a convenience for prototyping purposes or if a stock body was *almost* what you wanted.

The other questions have already been handled successfully by others, so I'll only respond to this one. 64-bit Windows KSP is so buggy and crappy that none of the major mod developers will develop for it. Even Squad is dropping support for a 64-bit Windows version with 1.0 as it's caused nothing but trouble. Only when they can get a 64-bit version working without problems will KSP and its mods be able to really take advantage of the power of 64-bit. It's a bummer, but that's just the way it is. For the moment, we're making due in some clever ways, which is also cool (you won't believe how efficient some of the best devs can make their mods).

Kopernicus is sorta based on around using templates. Only one highly experimental planet has ever been made without a planet and it's a lot of work (which almost no-one knows much about). Everything up to now in OPM kind of work. Personally I'd rather see the developers of Kopernicus tackle the problem with template intact.

Well, the Linux 64 bit version is stable as stable can be :). Honestly the near lack of work (or complete lack thereof) porting an application from Linux 32 -> 64 bit is a testament to how well it was designed. I've done projects where there was no work at all in porting between the two. Hell, most code will compile for different architectures just fine. You just have to follow the design guidelines. Shameless support aside, I do all of my KSP dev work and KSP playing on an Arch Linux 64 bit install.

Edited by Teknoman117

OH nice!

I really hope you're not kidding. Would be the worst "april fools" joke ever

OH nice!

I really hope you're not kidding. Would be the worst "april fools" joke ever

It all sounds good, I'm just sticking to Stock-like gameplay until this new release. Removing OPM now just makes me sad and knowing all the issues are actively being worked on is great news.

On a side note, if it's an April fools joke, it would be a good one compared to the news I got this morning that someone in El Salvador used my credit card. That was *not* an April Fools joke, it was all too real :(

Awww.... Does that mean you haven't figured out how to implement alien invasions? And I was so happy :(

You mean besides the little green men that are already landing there? ;)

Just a note to the OPM team to say you guys are doing incredible work and I am following this mod with great interest. I made an unwritten agreement with myself not to play KSP until 1.0, but when it drops I'm really looking forward to combining OPM with KSPI and exploring the outer reaches. Keep it up!

You mean besides the little green men that are already landing there? ;)

Just a note to the OPM team to say you guys are doing incredible work and I am following this mod with great interest. I made an unwritten agreement with myself not to play KSP until 1.0, but when it drops I'm really looking forward to combining OPM with KSPI and exploring the outer reaches. Keep it up!

I don't know if I would combine those two. I played with KSPI and with OPM separately,

but I have this odd feeling that mixing those two

Sorry for the multiple posts of a bad Config. Here is the BA config updated. Feel free to link it in the OP if you want. Below are some pics.

y6X05cU.png

Does anyone have this config? The link does not work anymore. I've just installed BA, really want to have pretty OPM planets!

I went ahead and installed the Interstellar OPM configs to the BoulderCo\Clouds folder, hoping that this was the same config for BA - but it didn't seem to do anything.

Edited by zilfondel

A little sneak peek of what the new Kopernicus can do for OPM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's kind of weird looking at Sarnus the way it should be. I've looked at that transparent disc so long that it feels like it should be there. Still the new Kopernicus has finally made Sarnus look the way I wanted it to look ever since I first made it and I'm really happy about that.

Does anyone have this config? The link does not work anymore. I've just installed BA, really want to have pretty OPM planets!

I went ahead and installed the Interstellar OPM configs to the BoulderCo\Clouds folder, hoping that this was the same config for BA - but it didn't seem to do anything.

Okay, I installed the OPM KSPRC config files and wow, did they ever make a difference! Tekto in particular looks amazing.

Good job guys!

-----------------------------

Going to add the link to some EVE cloud configs for OP:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113866-Cloud-configurations-for-Outer-Planets-Mod

Edited by zilfondel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.