[1.1.3] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em - v1.2.5 July 3

OtherBarry

No it is not an new recouce. Interstellar fuel switch is FreeThinkers version of a adjustable Tank contend for Ksp Interstellar. I messed around with with several Mod combinations and editing configs, trying to use a procedural tank in combination with one of the interstellar Engines but it is just not possible right now.

I came so far by using real fuels to configure it. That it works in the VAB but it's not flyable because the tank filling is complete messed up afer rollout.

I talked to NatanKell yesterday and he comfirmed that two mods that define the tank contend won't work togehter.

So it's up to you if you want to support Kspi Players as well or not.

If yes would be fine. If not please make a short notice in your description, than ists clear.

The looking time is a minor issue. Try to fill a tank with lqdhydrogen for example and try to launch with a hydrogen burning engine... supprise... tank still holds lqd fuel. You can remove fuel switch but the interstellar enginges wont recognize real fuels.. It just won't work. Please feels free to proof me wrong ^^

Frimi_2, just use what I've posted like 1 post back (as can be seen, it kinda needs CryoEngines cause they define LqdHydrogen, but You can remove that dependency by removing :NEEDS[] clause - keep in mind KSP will not load if it can't find some resource)

cipherpunks I agree this is a solution. But I'm thinking a little further. Since KSPI and procedural parts are in my opinion two of the major game changer it would be awesome if it works together more smoothly. Especially KSPI and its vast ammount of recurces would profit very much due to it lacks a decent variaty of fuel tanks (don't mind freethinker the mod is fantastic ;) )

I'm not sure how hard it is to do. As I understand the actual coding procedural parts checks if RF is installed and than uses a different set of parameters to make procedual real fuel tanks.

But nevertheless it's for OtherBarry to decide if a different parametrer set for KSPI fuel switch will be supported.

But one is certain, you can't use both tank modders.

cipherpunks I agree this is a solution. But I'm thinking a little further. Since KSPI and procedural parts are in my opinion two of the major game changer it would be awesome if it works together more smoothly. Especially KSPI and its vast ammount of recurces would profit very much due to it lacks a decent variaty of fuel tanks (don't mind freethinker the mod is fantastic ;) )

I'm not sure how hard it is to do. As I understand the actual coding procedural parts checks if RF is installed and than uses a different set of parameters to make procedual real fuel tanks.

But nevertheless it's for OtherBarry to decide if a different parametrer set for KSPI fuel switch will be supported.

But one is certain, you can't use both tank modders.

PP comes with it's own FuelSwitch. Its generally no problem to use an alternative (like RealFuels) instead. But PP must be able to send a message when the volume of a tank has changed (it normally does this via the KSPAPIExtension part message service). So it's not so much a matter of PP supporting InterstellarFuelSwitch, but more about IFS supporting a way to tell it about a change in volume.

Ups sorry Radar, did I confused the authors? terribly sorry about that :'(

Well this seems to be more and more an interface issue?

Do you mean its back to Freethinker?

Oh boy...

Well than the other solution to add the words "no support for KSPI" in the description.

hello! I don't really remember cause these last days I was trying to make sense of the mods I have in ksp but wasn't there an option to change texture on the fairing that appears when you put a decapler? I am under the impression that such a feature existed but now it doesn't. is it just me or was there something like that?

EDIT: its ok guys figured it out...its the heat shield that changes its fairings texture.it would be nice if we could change the texture of the fairing that decouplers add though.

Edited by techstepman

hello! I don't really remember cause these last days I was trying to make sense of the mods I have in ksp but wasn't there an option to change texture on the fairing that appears when you put a decapler? I am under the impression that such a feature existed but now it doesn't. is it just me or was there something like that?

EDIT: its ok guys figured it out...its the heat shield that changes its fairings texture.it would be nice if we could change the texture of the fairing that decouplers add though.

Decouplers do not have fairings. Engines add fairings when something is attached to their bottom. Would be nice to customize these, indeed. But thats beyond the scope of this mod.

PP comes with it's own FuelSwitch. Its generally no problem to use an alternative (like RealFuels) instead. But PP must be able to send a message when the volume of a tank has changed (it normally does this via the KSPAPIExtension part message service). So it's not so much a matter of PP supporting InterstellarFuelSwitch, but more about IFS supporting a way to tell it about a change in volume.

Perhaps I can adapt IFS to PP messages, in TankConstentSwitcher I found the following code:

/// <summary>
/// Message sent from ProceduralAbstractShape when it updates.
/// </summary>
[PartMessageListener(typeof(PartVolumeChanged), scenes:~GameSceneFilter.Flight)]
public void ChangeVolume(string volumeName, float volume)
{
if (volumeName != tankVolumeName)
return;

if (volume <= 0f)
throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("volume");

tankVolume = volume;

UpdateMassAndResources(false);
if (HighLogic.LoadedSceneIsEditor)
GameEvents.onEditorShipModified.Fire(EditorLogic.fetch.ship);
}

Now the question is, what unit does PP volume use? I prefer to work with the CRP/RF 1 unit / 1 liter standard, does 1 volume here represent 1 liter?

Also, what does VolumeName represent?

Edited by FreeThinker

Perhaps I can adapt IFS to PP messages, in TankConstentSwitcher I found the following code:

/// <summary>
/// Message sent from ProceduralAbstractShape when it updates.
/// </summary>
[PartMessageListener(typeof(PartVolumeChanged), scenes:~GameSceneFilter.Flight)]
public void ChangeVolume(string volumeName, float volume)
{
if (volumeName != tankVolumeName)
return;

if (volume <= 0f)
throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("volume");

tankVolume = volume;

UpdateMassAndResources(false);
if (HighLogic.LoadedSceneIsEditor)
GameEvents.onEditorShipModified.Fire(EditorLogic.fetch.ship);
}

Now the question is, what unit does PP volume use? I prefer to work with the CRP/RF 1 unit / 1 liter standard, does 1 volume here represent 1 liter?

Also, what does VolumeName represent?

Hi FreeThinker,

I think you will need to include KSPAPIExtensions to make this work properly. If you don't want to do that, you could alternatively provide a function like "VolumeChanged(float)" that PP can find and call via reflection or Unitys own Message system.

ProceduralParts generally uses m³ for volume (in code often refered to as kL). The volume name is something KSPAPIExtensions comes with. I think its meant to provide the possibility to differentiate between different types of volume a part can have. For example a part can contain a 1m³ fuel tank and a 3m³ habitat at the same time. PP usually just sends "tankage" as volume name and the volume of the whole tanks shape in m³.

This is just so great, I kind of avoided this at first thinking they would look a bit naff but when I decided to try it out I realized it was a mistake to make that assumption! I can finally make a rocket that looks cohesive from top to bottom!

I think I'll start out on making some textures for these too, have done some texturing before and they would only be relatively simplistic anyway. I will post a link here when I'm happy with them.

thanks again for maintaining this mod!

edit: having got to work on textures I've found that they look like they have some weird shader on them, and it seems to be only when I use a normal map, are there any limitations you know of on using normal maps? any specific things I should be doing? when I took a peek at at MainSailor's NRM's they were very pink, and he is the only person who uses them who has made texture packs for this mod who's textures don't seem to add this odd looking shading. I've never seen pink NRM's before though! and have no idea if that even has anything to do with it.

sorry I'm rambling a bit aren't I?

in short do you know of any specific reasons why normals might come out looking a bit odd on these parts? been scratching my head over it and can't find the solution.

Edited by Squiggsy

This is just so great, I kind of avoided this at first thinking they would look a bit naff but when I decided to try it out I realized it was a mistake to make that assumption! I can finally make a rocket that looks cohesive from top to bottom!

I think I'll start out on making some textures for these too, have done some texturing before and they would only be relatively simplistic anyway. I will post a link here when I'm happy with them.

thanks again for maintaining this mod!

edit: having got to work on textures I've found that they look like they have some weird shader on them, and it seems to be only when I use a normal map, are there any limitations you know of on using normal maps? any specific things I should be doing? when I took a peek at at MainSailor's NRM's they were very pink, and he is the only person who uses them who has made texture packs for this mod who's textures don't seem to add this odd looking shading. I've never seen pink NRM's before though! and have no idea if that even has anything to do with it.

sorry I'm rambling a bit aren't I?

in short do you know of any specific reasons why normals might come out looking a bit odd on these parts? been scratching my head over it and can't find the solution.

I'm glad you like it!

Unfortunately, I haven't done any texturing myself yet. All the textures where already there when I started to maintain the mod. Have you tried asking MainSailor? Maybe he knows whats wrong.

Any word on procedural mk2 or mk3 spaceplane parts?

Nope, I'm working on something else at the time. (More on that later) But its definitely on the todo-list.

just wondering, would it be possible to have a procedural lattice decoupler/interstage/payload adapter?

Like on this one? Not really planned, but I like the idea. Maybe in the not so near future.

Like on this one? Not really planned, but I like the idea. Maybe in the not so near future.

that's one i had in mind when i suggested :D

others were these: http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery12/dh_052507_proton4.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3396/4631780670_0f00179f74_b.jpg

and the payload adapter like the one in the upper stage: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/DIRECT_Jupiter-232_Exploded.jpg

I was also thinking about interstages like those on Saturn, SLS, Jupiter DIRECT, Ares... :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.