The future of Squad?

Talavar

I don't think KSP can happen on console simply because of control limitations. I can't imagine anyone building a rocket using a PS4 or Xbox controller
I played games like Theme Hospital on Playstation with a controller no problem. Making the VAB work with a gamepad will be simple enough. Indeed it could even be BETTER by giving the player 3D control with the dual analog sticks.

Anyway, I'd like to see Squad develop SOMETHING new. KSP will benefit from bug fixes and I hope a Unity 5 port, but it's more interesting to see new stuff.

I believe that SQUAD should stay focused on games similar to KSP. The simulation is great and I like the idea of not having to worry about defending against an attacking foe and can just focus on creating space craft and exploration. With that said... I also enjoy the way that KSP uses whimsical characters, such as Kerbals.

Maybe SQUAD will re-use the Kerbals in a civilization-type setting. Pick up a new set of Kerbals and have them stranded on a planet far from the Kerbin system. Instead of focusing on space exploration, they could focus in colony building, administration, refining resources, etc. Just a thought.

I believe that SQUAD should stay focused on games similar to KSP. The simulation is great and I like the idea of not having to worry about defending against an attacking foe and can just focus on creating space craft and exploration. With that said... I also enjoy the way that KSP uses whimsical characters, such as Kerbals.

Maybe SQUAD will re-use the Kerbals in a civilization-type setting. Pick up a new set of Kerbals and have them stranded on a planet far from the Kerbin system. Instead of focusing on space exploration, they could focus in colony building, administration, refining resources, etc. Just a thought.

sort of like what I said on page two?

imo, there is still sooo much un-tapped potential in the kerbal universe. think about it; boats, cars, infrastructure, buildings, bridges, hell even celestial bodies. using a real-world sim with reasonably accurate physics, you can imagine all sorts of engineering possibilities. i'd love to see them build out the kerbal universe and continue expanding on it with expansions or even different titles. this doesn't even begin to consider all the mods that have started branching into different directions. there's so much that could still be done here.

I thought Squad spun off their marketing side? Or did they un-spin them off?

Regardless, IIRC, KSP exists because HarvesteR was about to quit Squad because he was so frustrated with their marketing work (it involved lots of field work, which he hadn't expected). I don't think he's eager to get back to that.

from a business perspective, they have a great niche here. there's relatively little competition from other titles in the market right now. they have something unique which is rather difficult to find/create. imo, KSP is a home run and they'd be crazy not to continue to capitalize on it by going further. they obviously have lots of talent, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee other titles will be as well-received as this one. why risk time and money reinventing the wheel when they have something they know people love and will spend money on.

from a business perspective, they have a great niche here. there's relatively little competition from other titles in the market right now. they have something unique which is rather difficult to find/create. imo, KSP is a home run and they'd be crazy not to continue to capitalize on it by going further. they obviously have lots of talent, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee other titles will be as well-received as this one. why risk time and money reinventing the wheel when they have something they know people love and will spend money on.

I would agree with this, except that the wheel has become a mundane thing that, even though it is important, people just look at and go "meh, its a wheel, big deal". This game, while fun, will eventually hit that wall. Then it's time for something fresh and new. Personally, I'm still saying "journey to the center of the Earth (Kerbin)".. Think of the movie "The core" Then plant yourself in command of building it, and then piloting it... I think it would be awesome.

Eventually there wont be any customers left to attract and their only income will be from the userbase buying paid dlcs which also wont bring income forever.

People will eventually move on like they do with most games and not everyone will buy every dlc.

I say best plan would be to have a team work to expand KSP1 to give them some income to survive while they work on a sequel or another game which will if done correctly bring most of these people back to buy the second one. With a new engine they could finally make it look like the game deserves and maybe add something to not make the planets look so lifeless.

I can't imagine SQUAD giving up on video games once KSP is done. They've got a what, ten-man team (where it's usually a LOT more) giving them hundreds of purchases, and KSP isn't some cheap mobile game, either.

I'd love to see them expand the space/flight genre. To be honest, it would be a shame if they DID switch to cheap mobile games or Call of Duty once KSP was finished. I don't think they will... hopefully they won't :P

It's a tiny bit higher than hundreds

Yes, although I had never bothered to read beyond page 1! Not trying to step on your toes or even steal your thunder. As the old saying goes, "Great minds think alike" :D

I wasn't saying you were, I was genuinely curious if you meant what I meant. I would love that game. Kind of a mix of spore, sim city, any kind of tycoon, and KSP. It would be glorious. :D

What about a deep sea exploration game, where you build submarines? Similar enough in spirit to KSP, but a very new and different environment. It could still even be abbreviated as KSP, Kerbal Sub Program. Or KSP: terror from the deep :D
I'm just imagining the NSFW mods...

You clearly have too much time on your hands. :)

That would be Kerbal Burlesque Program and banned in Australia, but a deep sea exploration game would be awesome, develop and build submersibles, explore caverns, harvest from sulphur vents, research aquatic life, sounds like a good game :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.