[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

Surprise surpise! It flies stable without SAS, just some trim. Sure, the nose slowly yaws left & right a few degrees, but it's self correcting.

From now on, no more single rotors for me. Only coaxial.

- - - Updated - - -

What editor tricks/mods are you using to be able to offset that far away? PAD?

No Offset Limits. Should be standard IMHO, because having 4 struts connected to something is just as good as some long part. But since we don't have long parts and/or ridiculously heavy, I've decided to do this, and more often.

Guys, I would really appreciate some feedback on the video.

The problem with today is that we're all so accustomed to instantaneous gratification.

If we're critiquing the video as a video and not what it is showing. It's too long. I'm interested in the subject matter, especially as I'm trying (and failing right now) to build my own design without pulling yours apart, but I lost interest after a minute. You could add more cuts, add more angles of the same footage so you can cut between them. For example: startup. Exterior static shot to show the heli. Start engines, cut to interior showing the spinning bits, or maybe even switch the camera to one of the rotor blades. Either way keep moving the "frame" while you're spooling up and getting ready to lift off. Yes, this will require more work in the form of raw footage and editing, but would give you a "better" end product.

It also seemed empty without any background music. Think elevator music, something that softens the lack of music but doesn't grab your attention.

I'd be more than happy to provide further ideas/input if you want them!

I first have to say that Sky Crane is an amazing design!!!! The video does not stay focused on anything for too long and that's great, taking short clips keeps them from being boring, also it would be a good idea to mention the part count, someone mention they couldn't fly one of my crafts because the part count was too high, other than that music can add a little punch to it but it's hard to find the right clips and often some have the music volume setting to loud.

Ok my jaw is off the floor now after seeing your helicopter!....lol :)

Edited by castille7

Cool video! I'm not an expert on making videos but I've watched a fair few. IMO if anyone is interested in the subject matter the style of the video is almost irrelevant and you did a good job of showing what the helicopter does. It might have been worth showing it in the SPH with an introduction or take a look inside to show how it works. Other than that, if you want your video to fit in the general style of current Youtube videos I would suggest the following if I was being ultra picky. 1) People tend to like videos with quicker cuts, (I think it's the current ADHD generation :)). 2) Some of the text flashed by a bit fast. 3) Maybe some music. 4) Although it was 720p it looks like the video lost a bit of resolution during processing. People like sharper videos these days. 5) People like higher frame rates now. Your game looked like it couldn't quite keep up with the video's 25/30hz. A lot of videos are uploaded in a 60hz format now. Edit: Also I would say that although the external views are good it would be nice to have some shots of the helicopter from the fixed KSP camera as well, mix it up a bit. Have a look at some of Cupcakes videos if you really want a master class!

Edited by Redshift OTF

Finally, the first successful Kerbaled turboshaft helicopter flight for me... We got going, and then ran into some control authority issues before crashing.... But fly it does... Definitely needs some optimizations. Also the first time I tried it with a less compact bearing. Blower angles can be tweaked and then I can probably get rid of the turbojet for a Wheesley. But for the time being fuel economy can go forth and multiply.

Iwm1ZL9.jpg

jqymE8H.jpg

Congrats!

Do you know basic helicopter flight mechanics? They're a lot different compared to planes. If you keep having issues, give a big yell.

Thanks mate. I've had spatterings of flight time in them so I'm good on how they work, my issue is that I'm at my part count limit and I'm already lagging. I think the tweaking and such will have to be put on hold until 1.1 - because I don't think I can spare the part count to convert to coaxial, and I definitely can't go contra rotating a la Chinook. The jet engine at the back is my version of MD's "NOTAR", but the lateral thrust... All the signs point to coaxial.

I'm definitely far from optimal performance with it - at full fuel (all 80 units...) it won't lift. Not sure whether to adjust blower angle or blades though. I need to be more scientific in my approach because I'm a bit too whimsical with it. I tried using your thrust rig, but I can't work with it because of part counts. I then end up having to Force-Quit KSP every few minutes and then I just can't be bothered to deal with the constant crashing etc etc.

1.1 can drop now please. I'm ready.

I've been trying to fix up my older turboprop designs to see if they can work in 1.0, and I'm seeing that the landing gear doesn't clip reliably. Sometimes it clips in one direction, but not on the other. Sometimes on certain parts, but not others.

Specifically, I'm seeing what this guy reported:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116938-Cannot-use-landing-gears-as-bearings-in-KSP-1-0

How did you build reliable bearings now?

The answer is also in that thread you linked... In the first post...

You should try the smaller landing gear. The non-retractable stuff. Because it has no suspension it's reliable. Just can be a bit finicky with alignment.

Rover wheels still work. But of course 1.1 may break everything with the wheel updates... Bonne chance!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you mean with a turboprop without engines but here are some hints.

Started this morning, took my 5 hours to redefine and create a working turboshaft capable of taking off and stable flight. Most of the old ways don't work anymore.

Don't use steel beams/panels/girders, use wings parts for creating a cradle to save weight. Steel is fine for turbine blades. Don't use any wing parts flat in the wind either, the drag will be huge.

Don't place parts you don't need, drag is a real problem.

Blower angle is key, hit for the top of the turbine blades.

Compared with 0.90, higher rpm is better, aim for 25 rad/s stationary at runway (V.O.I.D. with advanced HUD gives you this info, select next vessel).

Compound propeller blades (check main turboshaft topic) don't work anymore, just use E-wing segments, three is max. Number of blades is less of a concern.

Exploit expanding turbine blades, they increase torque (expanding means the turbine blades seem to float from the shaft with increasing rpm).

Number of blowers: in 0.90 you needed a minimum of 2 to get airborne. In 1.0.4 you need at least 8. Clip blowers inside themselves, they won't overheat.

Propeller blade angle: 35 - 45 degrees. Lower means better acceleration but more axial torque (need more aileron compensation), higher means higher top speed, better diving but more bleed during maneuvers and worse climb.

What is a blower?

Just means the Engine/s. Typically Basic Jets. But I kludge mine with Turbojets because I don't have any sort of efficiency in my designs yet. I build caveman-tech helicopters...

Edit ninja'd... so in that case:

Telephone. As in: "Babe yer mum's on the blower, do we wanna come round fer tea tomoorra?"

Or jet engine. I'm always getting them confused.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.