Is KSP dying?

bartekkru99

I definitely think it's alive and doing well. I'm actually hoping they have another sale of KSP soon. I have convinced a few buddies who are interested in it to buy it.

Honestly, and this is just my own opinion of course, but I think once this game has legitimate multiplayer it is going to go nuts in terms of popularity. Much like Minecraft, it has a highly rewarding sense of cooperative play, has many moments that are down right hilarious, and is a sandbox game with incredible mod support that lends itself to replayability and variety.

Just imagine how awesome it will be building space stations with friends. Constructing a ship together that goes to Duna. Creating a Mun base with a group of people. Starting a career mode Realism Overhaul space race to the Mun. How awesome would that be? It's already a pretty popular game on Youtube. Throw in some amazing multiplayer action, and I think it will grow even more. Not to mention I don't think Squad has really yet to take advantage of the merchandising of the game. I could totally see people buying Kerbal merchandise with regularity.

I definitely think it's alive and doing well. I'm actually hoping they have another sale of KSP soon. I have convinced a few buddies who are interested in it to buy it.

Honestly, and this is just my own opinion of course, but I think once this game has legitimate multiplayer it is going to go nuts in terms of popularity. Much like Minecraft, it has a highly rewarding sense of cooperative play, has many moments that are down right hilarious, and is a sandbox game with incredible mod support that lends itself to replayability and variety.

Just imagine how awesome it will be building space stations with friends. Constructing a ship together that goes to Duna. Creating a Mun base with a group of people. Starting a career mode Realism Overhaul space race to the Mun. How awesome would that be? It's already a pretty popular game on Youtube. Throw in some amazing multiplayer action, and I think it will grow even more. Not to mention I don't think Squad has really yet to take advantage of the merchandising of the game. I could totally see people buying Kerbal merchandise with regularity.

i think if they do introduce multiplayer they should also introduce multiple launch sites that you can pick from.

i think if they do introduce multiplayer they should also introduce multiple launch sites that you can pick from.

It would be cool if you could do that, or also choose from multiple launch pads at the KSC. It would be pretty awesome/fun if you could have simultaneous launches with friends.

Also, multiplayer is confirmed, so no "ifs" about it!

Community grows on nutrient called lore. Lore can't be synthesized at an optimal rate if you don't give precursors to it such as new worlds (Kerbol system has not changed since a long time ago), in-game animations, etc.

Only the best fans produce it in this environment. I've been telling these things for a long time now.

I wouldn't say it is dead, maybe the feeling of novelty of such an original game is.

KSP just needs a discount on steam.. to attract new players, and a simulation upgrade to keep the old ones interested (which aero model should do)

Actually with the gimbals update, there's so many new possibilities in design refinements it gets overwhelming, we can see it clearly with the turboshafts.

I wouldn't say it is dead, maybe the feeling of novelty of such an original game is.

KSP just needs a discount on steam.. to attract new players, and a simulation upgrade to keep the old ones interested (which aero model should do)

Actually with the gimbals update, there's so many new possibilities in design refinements it gets overwhelming, we can see it clearly with the turboshafts.

Related to the discount, I am expecting 1.0 to be ready for Steam Summer Sale. A large sale + 1.0 would hopefully be enough to attract a lot of players.

That novelty feeling will return when new places are added.

My suggestions:

- at least one more gas giant, preferably with rings such as Sentar (PF) or Sarnus (OPM) with shepherd satellites, icy spherical ones, Titan like one (OPM did it superb)

- comet (rendezvous with such body offers great fun) such as Ascension (PF)

- sungrazing planet such as Ablate (PF) which is enormously difficult to reach

Related to the discount, I am expecting 1.0 to be ready for Steam Summer Sale. A large sale + 1.0 would hopefully be enough to attract a lot of players.

Well, that could be a double edged sword.. but I guess in life, you gotta take the good with the bad, eh?

My suggestions:

- at least one more gas giant, preferably with rings such as Sentar (PF) or Sarnus (OPM) with shepherd satellites, icy spherical ones, Titan like one (OPM did it superb)

- comet (rendezvous with such body offers great fun) such as Ascension (PF)

- sungrazing planet such as Ablate (PF) which is enormously difficult to reach

These sound good, but I have to say, one thing I'd like to see is an actual Pluto-like object. It would be:

- 40 AU semi-major axis (that would be about 544GM in stock scale), ideally with inverse-square solar power~

- Highly inclined, elliptical orbit

- Have it's own system of muns, with one largeish one and a few tiny ones

- Have a thin haze of atmosphere (possibly thicker than Pluto's, much like Duna's is thicker than Mars', if need be...)

These sound good, but I have to say, one thing I'd like to see is an actual Pluto-like object. It would be:

- 40 AU semi-major axis (that would be about 544GM in stock scale), ideally with inverse-square solar power~

- Highly inclined, elliptical orbit

- Have it's own system of muns, with one largeish one and a few tiny ones

- Have a thin haze of atmosphere (possibly thicker than Pluto's, much like Duna's is thicker than Mars', if need be...)

Absolutely this, too.

I think that KSP has the best community ever. No one is ofending anyone. There's no religious hate, which we can see under every YT video with above 1.000.000 views. People help eachother, No one steals ideas from other people, like in case of Little Big Planet, where after showing off my fighter jet or mech walker I had to kick someone after few seconds, because he was trying to use save tool on it. And finally no KSP Youtuber is treated like a god and guarded by an army of angry fanboys, that insult you after say something about him.

I think this is the best description of why the KSP Community is so unique.

If other gaming communities were like this, Gaming would be in a much better state.

Speaking for myself, I'm less active these days, not because I think any less of KSP, but because 1.0 will cause a lot of fundamental changes to my play style (The fact that I'm now splitting time between a real rocket science job and finishing my thesis is entirely coincidental). I want to like spaceplanes, I really do, but until 1.0, they're Difficult, Expensive and Deadly (or DED) to me.

The forum is probably less active because there's less motivation to push the limits of KSP with such huge changes in the pipeline. Other than chipping in my 2 Funds on the direction of development, to try to influence 1.0, I don't really want to invest lots of hours in trying big missions. I guess I'm afraid of getting burned out on the start-up phase of a new save.

It's a single player game. As long as its on your hard drive, it need never die.

That being said, I suspect that even in 5 years, the game will have a solid following. And by then we'll probably have KSP2: Return of the Jebi.

It's a single player game. As long as its on your hard drive, it need never die.

Truths!

That being said, I suspect that even in 5 years, the game will have a solid following. And by then we'll probably have KSP2: Return of the Jebi.

KSP2: The Wrath of .. uh... Bob?

I think the big issue is that there's not really any new mods coming out since most of it has been done and what the majority liked has survived and what they didn't died out. TBH for me what has been making me play less lately is the lack of new stuff to do. Sure I can start a new career, again, and build badass space stations attached to class E asteroids, again, and build bases on every planet, again, but why it's not like I will be doing anything too different since I know how to go about doing all that. KSP just needs some genuinely new content to revitalize it but the question is what else is there to add.

• 2 years later...

Looks like KSP is actually resurrected on a minutly basis regarding the activity.
Average amount of posts per minute = 1

Regarding this fact and ongoing summer holidays in almost every country on this planet...

KSP seems very hard to kill.:D

Edited by Mikki
spell8D