[1.0.x]Destruction Effects (flames and smoke on joint breaks)

BahamutoD

Hi all,

I just released a new version fixing this issue: https://github.com/jrodrigv/DestructionEffects/releases/tag/v1.0-beta

8 hours ago, CoriW said:

I've experienced this with the following list of parts.

Now I haven't tested all the other decouplers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a problem with decouplers in general.

11 hours ago, CoriW said:

Awesome! Thank you for supporting this mod, it's one of my "must have" visual mods and I couldn't imagine playing without it! :)

Your welcome :) Let me know if you find bugs or any ideas to improve it :)

Edited by jrodriguez

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Now that you fixed that bug, can you make it so that flames and smoke have realistic effects? Also give the effects a longer time to burn.

I will try, I'm not an expert on Unity though. But I will give a try to see if I can come up with something more realistic. About the burning time, maybe we can extend the time to 2x?

5 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

I will try, I'm not an expert on Unity though. But I will give a try to see if I can come up with something more realistic. About the burning time, maybe we can extend the time to 2x?

Extend the time to 2x? Ehh...:huh:... Ok, I guess it Could work :)

Oh, sorry your not an expert on unity, wasn't trying to give you a hard time. If you don't wanna try that's ok. If you wanna try, that's great :) Thanks for keeping this mod up and running :D

Edited by Murican_Jeb

• 2 weeks later...

It's been on Github for some time: Is there a meaningful difference between the two versions? Given the open source nature, I wonder why @Concodroid is releasing a separate version, rather than working with @Wicloz to make the best version possible. EDIT: Oh, and @jrodriguez has yet another version.  Come on, people, how about combining your efforts?

Contrary to @jrodriguez's statement on the last page, the version on CKAN is @Wicloz's github release. 

Edited by politas

50 minutes ago, politas said:

It's been on Github for some time: Is there a meaningful difference between the two versions? Given the open source nature, I wonder why @Concodroid is releasing a separate version, rather than working with @Wicloz to make the best version possible. EDIT: Oh, and @jrodriguez has yet another version.  Come on, people, how about combining your efforts?

Contrary to @jrodriguez's statement on the last page, the version on CKAN is @Wicloz's github release. 

Holy tags, Batman!

14 hours ago, politas said:

So, Not sure about @Concodroid version but taking into account that my version and "his" version weight the same number of bytes he just published my assembly under his name without making any references....

After analyzing @Wicloz commits we can say that his version is obsolete and his repo is NOT A FORK of the original BahamutoD Destruction Effects -  I don't think this is a good practice taking into account that 95% of the original code is from BahamutoD.

So summarizing. My fork from BahamutoD is the one that everyone should be using for 1.1.X because is the only one that has fixed the issue  "Fix for destruction effects wrong triggered when a part is decoupled"

And now, I have to figured out how to update CKAN to use my last Github release instead of @Wicloz . I don't know why the these guys have created such a mess for nothing. It is a shame that there are people out there using a version with issues because of this.

Edited by jrodriguez

20 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

So, Not sure about @Concodroid version but taking into account that my version and "his" version weight the same number of bytes he just published my assembly under his name without making any references....

After analyzing @Wicloz commits we can say that his version is obsolete and his repo is NOT A FORK of the original BahamutoD Destruction Effects -  I don't think this is a good practice taking into account that 95% of the original code is from BahamutoD.

So summarizing. My fork from BahamutoD is the one that everyone should be using for 1.1.X because is the only one that has fixed the issue  "Fix for destruction effects wrong triggered when a part is decoupled"

And now, I have to figured out how to update CKAN to use my last Github release instead of @Wicloz . I don't know why the these guys have created such a mess for nothing. It is a shame that there are people out there using a version with issues because of this.

Ok, thanks for clearing things up. It's a bit of a mess, all up. This PR should clear it up for people. Anyone wanting to use @Wicloz' Destruction Effects-SemiContinued will have to uninstall and reinstall. By default, CKAN users will switch to the updated version with the decoupler fix (I always thought that was odd, especially the way the smoke from the decouplers travelled with the accelerating rocket!)

EDIT: That change has been merged, now.

Edited by politas

Just noticed this topic after recieving a mail from GitHub. As I already replied there, my version of DestructionEffects was meant as a quick fix for KSP 1.1, using @jrodriguez 's code. I never had the intent nor skills to actually continue development. That was a while ago, and it seems that @jrodriguez now has a proper continuation. As such, my version has become obsolete and will be removed after the .netkan file is removed.

It seems @jrodriguez will be the new developer for this mod, maybe some alterations in the licence will be required to prevent other people from uploading soon to be outdated versions to spaceport?

15 hours ago, politas said:

Ok, thanks for clearing things up. It's a bit of a mess, all up. This PR should clear it up for people. Anyone wanting to use @Wicloz' Destruction Effects-SemiContinued will have to uninstall and reinstall. By default, CKAN users will switch to the updated version with the decoupler fix (I always thought that was odd, especially the way the smoke from the decouplers travelled with the accelerating rocket!)

EDIT: That change has been merged, now.

Thanks @politas!

9 hours ago, Wicloz said:

Just noticed this topic after recieving a mail from GitHub. As I already replied there, my version of DestructionEffects was meant as a quick fix for KSP 1.1, using @jrodriguez 's code. I never had the intent nor skills to actually continue development. That was a while ago, and it seems that @jrodriguez now has a proper continuation. As such, my version has become obsolete and will be removed after the .netkan file is removed.

It seems @jrodriguez will be the new developer for this mod, maybe some alterations in the licence will be required to prevent other people from uploading soon to be outdated versions to spaceport?

Following this advice, the nascent DestructionEffects-SemiContinued fork has been wiped out.

@jrodriguez, if you're willing to take over this mod, perhaps a new thread is in order, so you can maintain an up-to-date OP?

Edited by politas

On 6/8/2016 at 0:55 PM, jrodriguez said:

Wait... Did you...

Were you the guy I got it from?

Sorry If i couldn't quote you...

I Didn't remember who I got it from.

If you are, i'll edit the description of your mod immediately.

I don't remember who I got it from, I just put it on Spacedock for people to use. I did give credit to Bahudmo D, though.

I'll give you credit...

Done!

Edited by Concodroid

On 5/8/2016 at 8:22 AM, jrodriguez said:

Sorry I missed your response; what I meant was there is no .dll in there, just .csproj, .cs, .sln....do I have to build it myself?

Hmmm, I found BahaD's original repo and it doesn't look like there is one in there either. Oh well. Thanks again for doing this. :)

I'm still getting explosion and smoke effects from staging, particularly noticeable as a grey cloud of smoke forming an orb around the decoupled part when in space.

Using jrodrigv's 1:v1.0-beta from CKAN. All stock parts, lots of non-part mods.

1 hour ago, GavinZac said:

I'm still getting explosion and smoke effects from staging, particularly noticeable as a grey cloud of smoke forming an orb around the decoupled part when in space.

Using jrodrigv's 1:v1.0-beta from CKAN. All stock parts, lots of non-part mods.

I'd need the craft file of your rocket in order to reproduce the issue. Can you upload it to KerbalX? Thanks.

10 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Sorry I missed your response; what I meant was there is no .dll in there, just .csproj, .cs, .sln....do I have to build it myself?

Hmmm, I found BahaD's original repo and it doesn't look like there is one in there either. Oh well. Thanks again for doing this. :)

Of course there is a dll. Just click on download button :) (or use CKAN)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi nice work on getting an update out, I'm wondering if alongside wing, fuselage, engine etc as parts affected could you possibly add Bow, stern , hull ?  (Can't remember the last time i requested something from another mod maker)  No biggy if it's more hassle than it appears.

I'm thinking  with the current proliferation of ship mods it could be a worthwhile addition (in fact I've just had a look through the source and can see how it would be done, I'll take a swing at it myself, and let you know if it works out as expected)

A short while later...

It was fairly uncomplicated to do and has so far been successful, no errors relating etc, and as mentioned by others if it lasted a little longer it would be perfect. Below bow hull and superstructure ablaze

cs2GstA.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.