KSPBlender - Blender Addon for importing .craft files (now with complete mod support!)

Dasoccerguy

I haven't tried it. As long as the .mu importer works on mac, all of my code should be good to go since it's just python.

And sorry... got confused about who I was replying to. The laugh gif stays.

Edited by diomedea
reference deleted due to rules...

This is fantatstic work. Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm a complete noob at Blender, but I managed to render my first images.

However I can't get the toggle function (to deploy solar panels and so on) to work. I tried to install the custom menu but I always get the message 'Menu "OBJECT_MT_CustomMenu" not found' when I hit the hotkey.

Could you please help with some detailed instructions on how to set this up when you have the time? This would awesome.

Thanks again!

I swear the camrea is going to kill me...
I know the feel - it's so annoying -_-

C'mon, it's not *that* hard. :sticktongue:

Tip: use the X,Y,Z lock commands when moving the camera around. (Grab it, then tap "X","Y", or "Z". There is a Local movement mode and a Global movement mode.)

Also, hitting "R" twice gives you unlimited rotation on any axis. (With the camera selected)

Blender Camera Docs

EDIT:

Ooh, I didn't know about the fly mode trick! Must try!

This is fantatstic work. Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm a complete noob at Blender, but I managed to render my first images.

However I can't get the toggle function (to deploy solar panels and so on) to work. I tried to install the custom menu but I always get the message 'Menu "OBJECT_MT_CustomMenu" not found' when I hit the hotkey.

Could you please help with some detailed instructions on how to set this up when you have the time? This would awesome.

Thanks again!

Thank you! I haven't seen that issue, so I don't know what would cause it. Make sure you have the most recent version of Blender (2.73). I don't think that would be the cause, but it's worth checking.

In Blender, press Ctrl+Alt+U and go to the Input tab. Find 3D View and expand it. Then expand 3D View (Global). At the bottom of that section you can see the hotkey for the Custom Menu. If there is a duplicate (maybe you ran the script twice?), kill one of them and then you can close the Preferences window. If there's only 1, I don't know what to tell you. You could save and close Blender, then reopen it. When you open it again it should have forgotten all about the menu, meaning that you can run that script from a clean slate. Good luck!

C'mon, it's not *that* hard. :sticktongue:

Tip: use the X,Y,Z lock commands when moving the camera around. (Grab it, then tap "X","Y", or "Z". There is a Local movement mode and a Global movement mode.)

Also, hitting "R" twice gives you unlimited rotation on any axis. (With the camera selected)

Blender Camera Docs

EDIT:

Ooh, I didn't know about the fly mode trick! Must try!

There are a bunch of other ways to move the camera. For one, you could use Ctrl + Alt + KP_INS (0 on the keypad) to move the active camera to your current view.

Edited by longbyte1

...hit "CTRL-ALT-0" to set camera to your active view...

Yep. :)

Also, I figured out "Flight" mode. It's a fun one. SHIFT+"F" while in Camera mode ("0" on the numpad) with the camera selected gives you "flight" mode. You can "be" the camera: Walking, moving up and down, rotating the view. Mousewheel makes you faster or slower.

Yep. :)

Also, I figured out "Flight" mode. It's a fun one. SHIFT+"F" while in Camera mode ("0" on the numpad) with the camera selected gives you "flight" mode. You can "be" the camera: Walking, moving up and down, rotating the view. Mousewheel makes you faster or slower.

Oh thank you!

I "only" put in the stock parts for now, but I don't see why any mod part wouldn't work. Once I get a few more things done with the core components I do want to add in mod support. Though as you probably noticed at the beginning of the script... it's not much fun to do. Please give it a try!

In Blender, press Ctrl+Alt+U and go to the Input tab. Find 3D View and expand it. Then expand 3D View (Global). At the bottom of that section you can see the hotkey for the Custom Menu. If there is a duplicate (maybe you ran the script twice?), kill one of them and then you can close the Preferences window. If there's only 1, I don't know what to tell you. You could save and close Blender, then reopen it. When you open it again it should have forgotten all about the menu, meaning that you can run that script from a clean slate. Good luck!

Thanks it works now! Not sure why though but nevermind. I just started with a fresh Blender, ran the script and hit 'K'. Done :)

I "only" put in the stock parts for now, but I don't see why any mod part wouldn't work. Once I get a few more things done with the core components I do want to add in mod support. Though as you probably noticed at the beginning of the script... it's not much fun to do. Please give it a try!

I already tested various parts from B9 Aerospace, KAS, Mechjeb and ScanSAT. I added them to the big dictionary, but unfortunately none of them have worked so far.

The script runs though. It imports all the parts until a modded part would show up, then it crashes. These parts still show up then.

Oh wow, I suddenly feel like a blender veteran.....

nvm, I'l just hand over my generic blender help (based on the difficulties in the thread)..

the camera

in object mode, right click the camera and use the arrows to get it on good angles (use side and top views to get the camera right aswell with num pad key)

to switch from perspective to orthographic and back press num pad 5.

When you think it looks right, dont render, use numpad0 to get a preview.. if its not quite right, you can right click the preview edge and adjust that.

basic object manipulation of relevance

selecting, c for circle selector, b for box selection, a to select/deselect all and L to select the object the mouse is over.

press z to switch to wireframe view (for ease of selection)

joining objects can be with multi-select cmd-j

parenting by selecting the 2 object and cmd-p

s for scaling (press x,y or z to get axis specific)

r for rotation (^^^^^^)

del or x to delete

g to move an object by grabbing...

How did you get the smoke? And how do you get the wheels and thing to fold up?

Wheels and stuff seem to have been keyframed for you, so just put the timeline at the very end if you want the gear down. Smoke is a lot more complicated, because Cycles. There's a good node setup around somewhere on YouTube.

Alright, so I decided to give this a try. I am so new to blender that I could probably accidentally blow up the planet before I actually created anything with this thing. That being said, I followed the instructions and was greeted with (upon the first "run script" stage) an error that the script had failed. It says to look at the console for more information, but I can see no console anywhere. Fail?

Alright, so I decided to give this a try. I am so new to blender that I could probably accidentally blow up the planet before I actually created anything with this thing. That being said, I followed the instructions and was greeted with (upon the first "run script" stage) an error that the script had failed. It says to look at the console for more information, but I can see no console anywhere. Fail?

Go to Window > Toggle System Console. There are actually two consoles... sorry. Let me know what it says!

Wheels and stuff seem to have been keyframed for you, so just put the timeline at the very end if you want the gear down. Smoke is a lot more complicated, because Cycles. There's a good node setup around somewhere on YouTube.

Could you explain the first part with a bit more detail?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.