The Rocket Printing Hype Train Thread

Whirligig Girl

I suspect that it's going to be strictly stock-parts only, and without thinking about legal reasons at all, I can offer one good reason: Those small fragile parts probably need to be beefed up for the 3D printing, and they're probably not doing this automagically. They're probably making variants of the parts that are printer-friendly, which for practical reasons will probably prevent them from supporting mod parts.

I would love to be wrong about that though. If they can do it automatically, and the parts don't matter, that would be great.

I'm actually overjoyed, since it turned out to be harmless. I had horrible visions of KSP turning into an X-bone exclusive and being tied to .. whatever social media crap microsoft does (M+?) .. and trying to attach wings to something with an xbox controller... with micropayments.

Sometimes blah news is good news ;)

(You can buy another 20 ISP for your mainsail for only 50 Koins! <insert long disclaimer text here that reveals that 50 Koins is like 25 dollars>)

Edited by sal_vager

I'm actually overjoyed, since it turned out to be harmless. I had horrible visions of KSP turning into an X-bone exclusive and being tied to .. whatever social media crap microsoft does (M+?) .. and trying to attach wings to something with an xbox controller... with micropayments.

Sometimes blah news is good news ;)

(You can buy another 20 ISP for your mainsail for only 50 Koins! <insert long disclaimer text here that reveals that 50 Koins is like 25 dollars>)

Wow, pessimistic much?

It's not like this was announced as some ground-breaking thing. Even though I won't use it, it's not like a ton of work that otherwise would have gone into the game went into making this thing happen. Not to say that what Maxmaps does isn't work, but it's not like Harvester was out making deals happen instead of working on the new aero.

Wow, pessimistic much?

It's not like this was announced as some ground-breaking thing. Even though I won't use it, it's not like a ton of work that otherwise would have gone into the game went into making this thing happen. Not to say that what Maxmaps does isn't work, but it's not like Harvester was out making deals happen instead of working on the new aero.

I am actually coming round to this. I'm wondering if they could print my SPR rover?

Somehow I missed this before. Why does the example ship have no second stage engine?

I noticed it right away. Presumably they can't do engine fairings, or they couldn't at the time it was made. I sincerely hope they fix this, of course.

Wait, didn't you actually make the engine fairings ingame?

I am actually coming round to this. I'm wondering if they could print my SPR rover?

Oh man, that would be amazing. Maybe I should think smaller, like printing my Apollo LEM instead of the whole thing. That might make the cost more reasonable.

Oh man, that would be amazing. Maybe I should think smaller, like printing my Apollo LEM instead of the whole thing. That might make the cost more reasonable.

They'll probably allow different scales. I have three ships to print already, but I really want to get my HypeTrain replica first! Imagine if I could manage to get them to print it in just the right scale to put in a model train set! A Kerbal Train Set! I might have to look into that.

Yeah exactly! I may treat myself for my birthday. The thing that puts me off is, you cant check it before you buy it..

OMG! I could have a seated Kerbal and attach it to the back!!

2hxyvld.jpg

This is going to happen!!!

Edited by Majorjim

HYPE...train.. 3d printing.. im in :)

as much as sam hall's KV2 cockpit was a placeholder... ive become acustom to it.. and I actually regret moving onto make my own models..

in his honour. id love a 3d model of my KTP-44 of which his cockpit is the heart of the beautiful beast

F073F90C04E2CFD9DEA6FF92F8E323C96499BDFC

Now if only they could also partner with like, Phantom Fireworks, that way you could have your very own real life space program. What's more kerbal than building a rocket the striking a match and letting it fly

Why do I feel like some large hands from Squad have lifted me up, turned me upside down, and are now shaking the money from my pockets? I see myself getting into some expensive trouble on this site! The list of creations I would love to print is nearly endless. Curse you Squad... Curse you!!! :sticktongue:

TBH this is nothing that couldn't be done before ... it just required that you knew a bit of 3D modelling programs and that you had a 3D printer handy. In fact the fact that this follows 48h later of a reddit/KSP forum posting explaining exactly what you needed to do to export .craft files to a 3D modeling program format in a mostly friendly way makes me wonder ... :D

And here was I thinking that we would get some Space X/Roscosmos/ESA/JAXA parts ... :/

Why not just get an actual STS replica then? They're available all over the place in the US :P

Because Kerbalized Space Shuttles are just too cool:

S1mGups.jpg

a WIP that will be published in my STS Space Shuttle thread (see my sig link) later this week. And yes Virginia, it's all stock parts and thus printable... :D

edit: video posted here http://bit.ly/18ef2dO

Edited by inigma

Would be nice if https://eucl3d.com/ksp accepted my email address!!

Do you have any less-common punctuation marks or unicode characters in your email address?

Try the form at the bottom of https://eucl3d.com/ in case it has different validation rules, and if that doesn't work feel free to PM me and I'll fill out the form on your behalf so they know they have a problem.

Edit: Or better yet, put in a vanilla email address in the form I linked and put your real email address in the message.

Edited by Newnard

Its probably fair to assume that any craft file will be processed and scaled to fit inside the printing chamber so there is a maximum size for an individual print.

What if you printed individual parts or subassemblies for later assembly? Can we be assured of exact scaling for independently printed sub-components of a master assembly?

Only just curious, as I will likely not be using this service - All my wall space is taken up with taxidermy. Although... a Kerbal head mounted on a plaque FTW... Nice...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.