Procedural fairings -> procedural wings?

It seems the procedural fairings coming in 1.0 will work rather differently from the Procedural Fairings mod; instead of slapping a part on and having it automagically form the fairing, you actually have control over the design of the fairing. After reading that, I'm wondering if it could be adapted to wings - pure automagically shaped wings lose flexibility, but if we could *build* wings without using 50,000 parts, that'd be awesome.

I think I heard something about getting some larger wings intended for Mk3 aircraft coming in 1.0. Not only that, but I think they will be "wet" wings that contain fuel too. Presumably these would be much larger and should help with part counts.

There are two issues with this:

1) one big wing vs. smaller wings put together: sounds good until a wayward SRB takes off your wing tip (multi part wing may be able to lose a few pieces and keep the craft stable, one big wing instantly vanishes, along with all hopes of stable flight)

2) Squad said no procedural parts, fairings being the only exception (for conveniences sake). That is because it would remove the lego like construction of ksp, which is all part of the challenge: do what you can with what you got.

I certainly hope we get procedural wings, the current wing system is literally terrible. Constructing what should be a single, uniform shape from many little pieces and then figuring out how to strut it together is not only tedious, but really hard on the processor. Anything to reduce parts count in a sane and reasonable manner is laudable.

I certainly hope we get procedural wings, the current wing system is literally terrible. Constructing what should be a single, uniform shape from many little pieces and then figuring out how to strut it together is not only tedious, but really hard on the processor. Anything to reduce parts count in a sane and reasonable manner is laudable.

Same here. Would be great to have in stock.

After I've started to use B9's procedural wings I've stopped hoping for them from SQUAD, because they really do what I need and I doubt that that SQUAD could've done better.

Edited by ddenis

One piece I'd like to see for procedural parts that hasn't appeared in any mods: editor gizmos, perhaps one movement gizmo for each corner of a wing segment.

YES. I was thinking about this just today. I'd love the Procedural Parts mod to have resize gizmos instead of the sliders in the right-click menu :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.