20 year old US military weather satellite mysteriously explodes in orbit.

Aethon

Would an impact with micro-debris cause "sudden temperature spike?" I find it a little hard that a satellite with 20 years of operation under it's belt would just spontaneously combust due to some interior problem.

Well, spontaneous explosions can happen when a satellite goes dead or is not safed properly at end of life. Or just goes wrong. See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passivation_(spacecraft)

Would an impact with micro-debris cause "sudden temperature spike?" I find it a little hard that a satellite with 20 years of operation under it's belt would just spontaneously combust due to some interior problem.

Another one exploded in 2004. Its not the first time, smaller pieces with high surface areas will probably decay quickly along pieces that shot off in retrograde directions. I dont' know what the annual station keeping dV is for that spacecraft, but others at similar station have decayed. Could have been debris from the 2004 explosion that touched off the second, wouldn't it be strange if the 2004 caused a chain reaction that in 20 years takes all the sats out in the weather satellite belt.

Sounds like an anti-satelite weapon. Laser would do the trick. Doesnt have to be forign either, if the air force decided the satelite was expendable.

I highly doubt it--that would be a rather inconsiderate thing to do, and the air force's interests would also be impacted. From what I can tell about the sat, no one else would care to blow it up. Plus there is a lot that could cause a temperature spike. Perhaps a battery exploded, perhaps it was hit by something, perhaps something else happened. We may never know. But a laser seems like a silly conclusion to jump to without more evidence.

Aethon's article suggests it spun out of control prior to comming apart completeley, which to me sounds like something very well could have exploded and given the rest of the vehicle a spin. An impact could have elicited the same response.

I'm sorry, the first thing I thought of was "Tea Clipper" and "Bright Star" from Cardinal of the Kremlin. Could it be something like that? Farfetched, I know, but still...
Sounds like an anti-satelite weapon. Laser would do the trick. Doesnt have to be forign either, if the air force decided the satelite was expendable.

Don't know what to do? Blame russians. Or chinese. :P

My bet is on micro debris. Or short-circuited batteries.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.