SSSSSTO - The Flying Dutchmann

Hi,

i had to do it as long as the aero physics allow such things. i will present you the Single Stage Solar Sailing Ship To Orbit "The Flying Dutchmann":

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Action Groups:

1 - 18 Ion Engines

2 - 2 bottom Jet Engines

3 - 4 Jet Engines

4 - 2 central Jet Engines

0 - Solar Panels

610 Parts

i made a little video to show the takeoff to orbit process:

http://www.filedropper.com/sssssto-flyingdutchmanniv

I am not pleasured by the handling of this craft, but i rebuild it serveral times from scratch and i have to stop working on it, befor i become mad. You have to tweak the jet engines a lot on the way to orbit, this is not beginner friendly. Turning rate is surprisingly good, but one moment of carelessness and it will spin out of control. Reentry with empty tanks is a problem too, but possible. Just be realy carefull. Fortunately the landing characteristics aren't that bad, but it tends to tip over the nose on braking when there is no cargo but lots of fuel in it. As you can see in the video, you have to "sail" cross like the real sailing ships, if you want some power.

In the video, you can see the start of a journey to Laythe with 10t of cargo. I do not know yet, if it is laythe capable. There is more than enough delta v in it, but its ion powered and that means i can't go the most efficient way. However, i will record the trip and post it, when i am back on Kerbin.

Some additional Heavy Metal:

xdoi8jY.png

This working dump truck is currently in the stomach of The Flying Dutchmann and will hopefully be delivered to Laythe.

Edited by Adester

*sees thread post*

What? That is so not taking off.

*sees video*

....How?....When?....What magnificent wizardry is this?...

Amazing! And can go to orbit too?

That is awesome! Really like it!

Also, I laughed really hard when it took off. "Water? Nah, too mainstream. I want to fly!"

Wait, wait, this thing WORKS?! Damn. Nicely done!
*sees thread post*

What? That is so not taking off.

*sees video*

....How?....When?....What magnificent wizardry is this?...

Amazing! And can go to orbit too?

That is awesome! Really like it!

Also, I laughed really hard when it took off. "Water? Nah, too mainstream. I want to fly!"

Amazing!

Thanks for the nice replies, kerbonauts.

All Hail to the clipping god

P.S.How do those hinges on the dump truck work?

You probably had wobbely problems with rockets with many stages. I used a lot of the TR-2V Stack Decoupler. They have not much stability and allow parts to move around without breaking. I stacked them by connecting the upper points. The next one allowed me to use the lower connection points, then the upper again, and so on (my english is probably not good enough to explain this pictorially). The force to turn the load area comes from 4 O-10 MonoPropellant Engines. The 2 Mk1 Lander Cans provide the counter weight. There are 2 Stratus-V Cylindrified Monopropellant Tanks which will eventually deplete. But to be honest... there is no practically use for it and if there is one, the monopropellant will suffice for 30 - 50 dumps.

I have NO idea how that is aerodynamically sound (and PLEASE don't give me the KSP physics are not sound BS, I am well aware of it)

the center of lift is way in front of the center of weight. with burning fuel, this becomes even worse. im curenntly working on a train with the same strange setup. these things souldn't fly... but, like the bumblebee, they don't know that and so they go on.

Edited by Adester

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great work man, im going to miss the stock aero :(

Btw...

i still want to know who the KSP naysayer is, the person who votes all the thread on the exchange as terrible is getting annoying... this thread was at 3 stars before i voted on it, its easily a 6/5 star thread.

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.