[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

@KospY hey, maybe i am blind but even browsing the wiki i cannot find that info:

Where can i see/change the default container opening range ?

I need to tweak it for one part because the model obstructs normal opening during EVA (cant stand next to the part, have to be on top of it to open)

I would prefer to adapt KIS here for the one part but if it's a Global setting then it's fine too

Edit: Sorry, found the Global Setting maxDistance = 3 for module EvaPickup, any chance there is still a part-specific config parameter which i overlooked ?

Edited by Jasseji

23 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

@KospY hey, maybe i am blind but even browsing the wiki i cannot find that info:

Where can i see/change the default container opening range ?

I need to tweak it for one part because the model obstructs normal opening during EVA (cant stand next to the part, have to be on top of it to open)

I would prefer to adapt KIS here for the one part but if it's a Global setting then it's fine too

Edit: Sorry, found the Global Setting maxDistance = 3 for module EvaPickup, any chance there is still a part-specific config parameter which i overlooked ?

There is only a global settings. And it affects not only the GUI appearance but also the distance of attach/detach actions. For now there are no plans to introduce a per-part override.

34 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

There is only a global settings. And it affects not only the GUI appearance but also the distance of attach/detach actions. For now there are no plans to introduce a per-part override.

Ok, Thank you :)

I've been having a bit of an issue building a Minmus base with KIS. I haven't had any problems with the actual building part, but when I leave the scene and come back, my straight corridors (built using Planetary Base Systems) are jagged and misaligned but still connected. Now, I doubt this is a problem with KIS per se, but I'm wonder if anyone has any experience with parts not maintaining their orientation upon scene reload. My thought is that since all the parts are resting on the ground, they "jump up" on load and get frozen in the wrong position. Would elevating the base on landing struts possibly fix this issue? Also, is there a way to change the root part when building with KIS?

Excuse my "Mark Whatney" approach to base building.

4199BF9D744B16FE14B4BCF7B009436683836F20

32 minutes ago, urablahblah said:

I've been having a bit of an issue building a Minmus base with KIS. I haven't had any problems with the actual building part, but when I leave the scene and come back, my straight corridors (built using Planetary Base Systems) are jagged and misaligned but still connected. Now, I doubt this is a problem with KIS per se, but I'm wonder if anyone has any experience with parts not maintaining their orientation upon scene reload. My thought is that since all the parts are resting on the ground, they "jump up" on load and get frozen in the wrong position. Would elevating the base on landing struts possibly fix this issue? Also, is there a way to change the root part when building with KIS?

Misaligned parts were reported once before. Though, I never seen such a behavior in my testing env. Do you have a save file that reliably reproduces the issue? If yes could you please send it to me? Strong stress forces during the load is a known issue of KSP but usually connections just break.

15 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Misaligned parts were reported once before. Though, I never seen such a behavior in my testing env. Do you have a save file that reliably reproduces the issue? If yes could you please send it to me? Strong stress forces during the load is a known issue of KSP but usually connections just break.

I'll work on it once I get home from work. Do I need to strip mods out before I send it to you? Obviously PBS will be needed on your end. 

It happens every time I reload the scene. I even went through and rebuilt the primary corridor then it went wonky again when I reloaded the scene. Would changing the root part to a part in the middle of the structure possibly help? Right now I believe it is the north most corridor section; pretty far from the main wonky corridor.

45 minutes ago, urablahblah said:

Do I need to strip mods out before I send it to you? Obviously PBS will be needed on your end.

Yes, please, strip as many other mods as possible. Ideally, there should be only PBS.

45 minutes ago, urablahblah said:

Would changing the root part to a part in the middle of the structure possibly help?

I don't think it's something about the root part. Anyways, it cannot be changed in EVA for now.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Yes, please, strip as many other mods as possible. Ideally, there should be only PBS.

I don't think it's something about the root part. Anyways, it cannot be changed in EVA for now.

Of course, now that I spend all the time to realign the corridors and get rid of all the debris and other flights, it seems to be working fine. Just a tiny little bump when physics loads. I'll let you know if the problem crops up again. I'm still thinking it may have something to do with clipping into the ground. 

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:49 PM, chris341 said:

Hello,

This is my first post, but I am a longtime user of KSP and mods, including this one, and have never encountered an issue like this before.

A few days ago, KIS and KAS were working perfectly, and the stations I have up that use parts attached using KIS and KAS are still doing perfect.

Suddenly, yesterday, all KIS parts EXCEPT for the containers and container mounts have stopped showing up in the editors, and they are no longer found in the containers which had those parts stored in them on my stations.

KAS seems to be unaffected as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure.

I've made sure I only have the latest version of the KIS dll's installed, along with a complete reinstall of both KIS and KAS, but nothing works. No more EVA items. Strangely enough, and possibly related, a lot of my infernal robotics parts are suddenly gone too, and in the editor there is no longer a tab for them.

This did not happen immediately after the 1.1.3 update, I've been using the update for over a week now with no implications whatsoever up until yesterday.

What could've happened?

Chris 

Chris

you solved the problem with the missing parts?

I am having the same with my game!

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:55 PM, IgorZ said:

KIS/KAS and KSP haven't changed, so there is only one possible reason: a mods conflict. Remember which mods you've installed/updated recently and try removing them.

Inflatable modules in UKS mod are incompatible with KIS pod seat's inventories. Any module that doesn't show number of seats in the editor is incompatible. This is going to be fixed in KIS 1.3. For now the only solution is just avoiding entering the pods with stuff in kerbals personal inventory.

IgorZ, i Discovery what happens with parts not showing in editor. All parts.cfg with "category = none" is not show in editor, after change these parameters to Utility, the parts show and can be used!

51 minutes ago, Elctromite07 said:

KIS is not working... need help;.;

Help us to help you. "Not working" does not describe your problem accurately. Describe better what is not working, make a screenshot in game that ca decribe problem.
You can also do a bit better and upload output log that can be usefull to moders to find out what is wrong.

Before all of that you should try to reinstall KIS, most common issue comes from faulty install. If you have installed trough CKAN, be sure that you follow troubleshooting guide in CKAN thread.
You can also find there link for how to get support thread. There you will find usefull info how to find output log and such.

23 hours ago, Leandro Basi said:

IgorZ, i Discovery what happens with parts not showing in editor. All parts.cfg with "category = none" is not show in editor, after change these parameters to Utility, the parts show and can be used!

KIS parts with category "none" are supposed to be shown in own tab in the editor. I'd suggest you have a mods conflict that prevents KIS from making this tab.

Guys,

Many of you were requesting "re-root" tool (tracked here). I think I've found a way that may work. It works for me but sometimes re-rooted vessels behave crazy being manged via KIS+KAS. I'm unable to test every possible use case, so asking your help. Here you may find a binary (download, rename to "KIS.dll", and replace the original file) that does re-rooting on F8 key hit: hover over a part to make root and press the key. If you're ready to do some tests, please do. I know the solution doesn't work sometimes, what I need is a reproducible cases of that "sometimes" so what I could investigate and fix.

Note, that this is debug version. Do not use it on your main game saves. Given how flaky current solution is you may badly damage your savegames.

15 hours ago, IgorZ said:

KIS parts with category "none" are supposed to be shown in own tab in the editor. I'd suggest you have a mods conflict that prevents KIS from making this tab.

I think you are right! I found a wildblue dll categorizer with bluedog mod who had change the display of itens, i delete it and all works! Thanks

On 22/7/2016 at 6:05 AM, IgorZ said:

Guys,

Many of you were requesting "re-root" tool (tracked here). I think I've found a way that may work. It works for me but sometimes re-rooted vessels behave crazy being manged via KIS+KAS. I'm unable to test every possible use case, so asking your help. Here you may find a binary (download, rename to "KIS.dll", and replace the original file) that does re-rooting on F8 key hit: hover over a part to make root and press the key. If you're ready to do some tests, please do. I know the solution doesn't work sometimes, what I need is a reproducible cases of that "sometimes" so what I could investigate and fix.

Note, that this is debug version. Do not use it on your main game saves. Given how flaky current solution is you may badly damage your savegames.

Hi IgorZ

This is an issue that I can reproduce, here http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01936501684489435446 you can find logs and savegame, the container jump and look like also that it defying the laws of gravity a bit too much ^_^ once detached , unfortunatly it's not all stock:

KAS
KIS
KERBALISM
PLANETARYBASEINC

Video to how reproduce

Spoiler

Edited by brusura

OK, I'd like to report an issue with explosions when something is attached or dropped in a manner where the Colliders intersect the ground. (or possibly another object but I haven't verified this.)

This should be fixed with a series of bug fixes to make sure the collision exclusion layers are properly being mapped.

Additionally, there is a lack of a function that prevents "dropping" an object intersecting the ground or another object.  If I recall this used to exist before the KAS functions were integrated into KIS.  However, there were also changes in the KSP version (and the underlying version of the Unity3D and PhysX engines) thus it may also have to do with that.

Should I post this bug on Github along with typical formal bug reporting detail, or should I rely on someone closer to the project to do it?

11 hours ago, brusura said:

This is an issue that I can reproduce, here http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01936501684489435446 you can find logs and savegame, the container jump and look like also that it defying the laws of gravity a bit too much ^_^ once detached , unfortunatly it's not all stock:

Thanks. Looks like the new root looses its mass. Or becomes a physicsless object. Could you please drop the files in some other place (e.g. google drive)? That "tinystorage" requests from me too many things to be done for just a simple file download (e.g. updating java) which makes me worrying about their good intentions.

10 hours ago, Ruedii said:

OK, I'd like to report an issue with explosions when something is attached or dropped in a manner where the Colliders intersect the ground. (or possibly another object but I haven't verified this.)

This should be fixed with a series of bug fixes to make sure the collision exclusion layers are properly being mapped.

KIS/KAS don't deal with layers and I believe they should continue following this practice. The game core should be dealing with it.

Additionally, there is a lack of a function that prevents "dropping" an object intersecting the ground or another object.  If I recall this used to exist before the KAS functions were integrated into KIS.  However, there were also changes in the KSP version (and the underlying version of the Unity3D and PhysX engines) thus it may also have to do with that.

There is no explicit check for the collisions with other objects. It doesn't make sense to do the check against the ground: if it collides then what? What mod does is finding a contact point which should not trigger collision. Alas, there is a trade-off: fast solution vs good solution.

Checking for collision with other objects/parts can be done at some extent. I was thinking about it but so far this enhancement is at the end of the priority list.

Should I post this bug on Github along with typical formal bug reporting detail, or should I rely on someone closer to the project to do it?

KIS/KAS static attachable parts must not explode or fly away being attached to the ground. Same applies to parts people usually use as a base foundation (e.g. fuel tanks or PBS modules). Any other cases of exploding dropped part is not useful to log, it's a known issue. If a part is exploded on attach to a vessel then it's a bug. If it exploded due to collision with another part then it's not a bug.

4 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Thanks. Looks like the new root looses its mass. Or becomes a physicsless object. Could you please drop the files in some other place (e.g. google drive)? That "tinystorage" requests from me too many things to be done for just a simple file download (e.g. updating java) which makes me worrying about their good intentions.

KIS/KAS don't deal with layers and I believe they should continue following this practice. The game core should be dealing with it.

There is no explicit check for the collisions with other objects. It doesn't make sense to do the check against the ground: if it collides then what? What mod does is finding a contact point which should not trigger collision. Alas, there is a trade-off: fast solution vs good solution.

Checking for collision with other objects/parts can be done at some extent. I was thinking about it but so far this enhancement is at the end of the priority list.

KIS/KAS static attachable parts must not explode or fly away being attached to the ground. Same applies to parts people usually use as a base foundation (e.g. fuel tanks or PBS modules). Any other cases of exploding dropped part is not useful to log, it's a known issue. If a part is exploded on attach to a vessel then it's a bug. If it exploded due to collision with another part then it's not a bug.

It's exploding due to collision with the ground or the part/vessel it's being attached to.   Both of those are bugs.

If a object collides with the ground it should either move it's offset clear of the ground or refuse to let you drop it.

It explodes or flies into the air if it collides with the ground when dropped.  If attached it should theoretically be fine, but it currently isn't.

Edited by Ruedii
More detail

11 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Sure, here you go:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4kd548FeSEpV3dpb191eTEwUjg

13 hours ago, Ruedii said:

It's exploding due to collision with the ground or the part/vessel it's being attached to.   Both of those are bugs.

As a mentioned above, for the ground attachable things it only considered a bug if the part is from KIS or KAS. Improper definition of attach nodes on the part results in collision, and it's not a KIS bug. Detection of the wrong nodes is technically possible but is too complicated. If you have a reproducible case for KIS/KAS parts then, please, report the bug. For any other part, please, report bugs to the author of that part.

Detection of collision with other parts on the vessel would be a nice feature but for now it's not in the list.

Hello everyone! :) I wonder if it possible to make usual resources, like monopropellant, electricity or let's say supplies for life support achievable and usable from inside of KIS container?

Because, if answer is yes, it opens the way for HUGE part count saving! Lets say you take a 2,5m container, put there batteries and fuel/monoprop tanks and voilà - you have a one part service module with all contained resources! And kerbals can refit such container with needed supplies on the fly!

Or lets say you make a Cygnus-like resupply vehicle, and throw a bunch of supplies crates inside, so after you dock to space stations you don't need go to EVA and weld each crate to the station to pump supplies to station main supply tanks - your kerbals will unload the cargo from inside, like IRL!

If straight use of resources from containers is not feasible, maybe it is possible to make it reachable only when special menu button activated from container's menu so you can transfer resources from supply crates to ship tanks...

I'll be honest, this idea bothers me for couple of month and I cant rid of it ...so what's your think? :)

2 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

Hello everyone! :) I wonder if it possible to make usual resources, like monopropellant, electricity or let's say supplies for life support achievable and usable from inside of KIS container?

Because, if answer is yes, it opens the way for HUGE part count saving! Lets say you take a 2,5m container, put there batteries and fuel/monoprop tanks and voilà - you have a one part service module with all contained resources! And kerbals can refit such container with needed supplies on the fly!

Or lets say you make a Cygnus-like resupply vehicle, and throw a bunch of supplies crates inside, so after you dock to space stations you don't need go to EVA and weld each crate to the station to pump supplies to station main supply tanks - your kerbals will unload the cargo from inside, like IRL!

If straight use of resources from containers is not feasible, maybe it is possible to make it reachable only when special menu button activated from container's menu so you can transfer resources from supply crates to ship tanks...

I'll be honest, this idea bothers me for couple of month and I cant rid of it ...so what's your think? :)

I'm going to guess it won't work. Items stored inside a KIS container don't really "exist" in the game.  The information about what is stored in a KIS container is recorded, but the parts don't physically "exist" if that makes sense.

5 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

There are other mods around that offer "crates" which you may use for this purpose. IIRC, UKS has crates for delivering resources via KIS. You'll have to go EVA, though.

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

I'm going to guess it won't work. Items stored inside a KIS container don't really "exist" in the game.  The information about what is stored in a KIS container is recorded, but the parts don't physically "exist" if that makes sense.

Correct. It won't work with the current KIS. Refueling vessel from KIS inventory is not a trivial thing to implement since the parts are actually not existing. Without actual creating of the part there is no way to reuse KSP resources transfer logic. And re-implementing it inside KIS is a hardly good approach.

@IgorZ but we have an EVA-11 Fuel Canister...

What if adapt this method for another resource? Like so:

PART
{
	name = LifeSupportMiniPack
	//...
	//all usual config data
	//...
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Supplies
		amount = 100
		maxAmount = 100