[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

I didn't notice anything explicit in the changelog (but implicit in the mention of ground pylons): is attach to ground supported now?

True!

MODULE
{
[B][COLOR=#006400] name = ModuleKISItemStatic[/COLOR][/B]
volumeOverride = 100
stackable = true
[B][COLOR=#006400]allowAttachOnStatic = true[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#006400][B]breakForce = 10[/B][/COLOR]
}

Looks like I encountered a bug. I flew to a location with a kerbal (pilot) having a 2HOT Thermometer in his inventory. I wanted him to then use it in EVA but there wasn't such an option. Then I tried to put the Thermometer down on the ground and it went BOOOOM! The kerbal is alive but in shock; he didn't think thermometers explode when taken out of pocket.

I also get this problem with small parts (ladders for exemple). However, there is no problem to drop bigger part on the ground.

I'm trying to fix this issue. Meanwhile, I recommend to always drop small items on another part (the container for exemple).

I wonder if the problem was also present in 1.0.X ?

Edited by KospY

Looks like I encountered a bug. I flew to a location with a kerbal (pilot) having a 2HOT Thermometer in his inventory. I wanted him to then use it in EVA but there wasn't such an option. Then I tried to put the Thermometer down on the ground and it went BOOOOM! The kerbal is alive but in shock; he didn't think thermometers explode when taken out of pocket.

I think science parts need a separate module to be used from inventory. Nobody has made one yet.

I wonder if its possible to bind the "Use" action of KIS to one of the actions that can be performed by the part. This feature would let people avoid making separate mods for making parts usable in KIS.

Edited by Enceos

This mod is just amazing. It brings station and base construction to the next level. It's completely stockalike: both parts and the UI. This indeed should be in stock. Big thanks to you for your work.

So I'm about to download KIS, and am a previous KAS user. I'm a little confused, do I still need KAS? Is there a list of difference between the two I missed somewhere? I'm trying to keep my mod list as slim as possible, so if KAS doesn't offer anything that isn't already in KIS, I shouldn't need it, right?

halp

So I'm about to download KIS, and am a previous KAS user. I'm a little confused, do I still need KAS? Is there a list of difference between the two I missed somewhere? I'm trying to keep my mod list as slim as possible, so if KAS doesn't offer anything that isn't already in KIS, I shouldn't need it, right?

halp

From KAS thread:

The goal is not to migrate all parts to KIS.

KIS is the inventory system, and KAS is the winches, pipes and struts system.

Seems going forward the Inventory/Storage systems & parts will be managed by KIS, while the pipes/winches/etc will remain with KAS.

Edited by ExavierMacbeth

halp

KIS is an overhaul of the storage, grab and attach system of KAS. It's a standalone mod working with or without KAS.

Winches, pipes and struts will always remain in KAS. So if you want this features, you will need KAS too.

I agree that the situation can be confusing right now between KAS and KIS, especially when both mod are installed (each one using a different method for part handling).

The end goal is to remove the old storage system of KAS and update it to use KIS instead. I'm working on the update but that can take some time.

Meanwhile, you can use KIS for inventories, grab and attach capabilities. It can be interesting to familiarize with KIS before KAS update :)

Hi KospY,

I've updated Universal Storage to KIS and everything is working great except one thing.

The EVA Propellent in the EVAx doesn't add to the total EVA Propellent for the kerbal.

I tested the EVA Prop part included in KIS and that isn't adding to the total either.

With KAS you could select the Kerbal and the carried item and transfer between the two, but this doesn't seem possible with KIS.

If this a know problem or a new bug?

Hi KospY,

I've updated Universal Storage to KIS and everything is working great except one thing.

The EVA Propellent in the EVAx doesn't add to the total EVA Propellent for the kerbal.

I tested the EVA Prop part included in KIS and that isn't adding to the total either.

With KAS you could select the Kerbal and the carried item and transfer between the two, but this doesn't seem possible with KIS.

If this a know problem or a new bug?

For information, all KIS item currently equipped are only spawned on the kerbal as a model only, so there is no part created when you equip the item.

It's the way KIS work by default. I didn't use partmodule to run my item code, I extend the ModuleKISItem class, allowing me to run item code even if the part is stored.

However, I added a new possibilty in KIS 1.1, you can now set ModuleKISItem to spawn the item part on equip. The rigidbody will be removed for technical reason, but at least the part will run normally and there will be no need to code your own item (for increasing fuel storage on equip for exemple). But keep in mind the code will only run when the part is equipped.

You can also set the part to "physic", but I do not recommend it for what you want to do (eva RCS will not work correctly and the part will not follow the kerbal bones).

Wiki is not updated yet for 1.1 (I'm working on it), but here is an exemple of what to do to enable this :

MODULE
{
name = ModuleKISItem
shortcutKeyAction = equip
equipable = true
equipSlot = jetpack
[B] equipMode = part // model (default) or physic[/B]
usableFromEva = true
usableFromContainer = false
usableFromPod = true
usableFromEditor = false
useName = Refuel
equipMeshName = jetpack_base01
equipBoneName = bn_jetpack01
equipPos = (0.06,0.04,-0.09)
equipDir = (10,0,0)
}

Edit : "equipMode = part" is also usefull for science parts, as they can't be used from another vessel/kerbal.

Edited by KospY

That works, thanks :)

Are there plans to add carried (or just equipped) resources to the Kerbal in the future or is that out of scope for the mod?

Not sure if I understand what you mean.

If you are talking about the EVAx, just add equipMode = part to ModuleKISItem in your part config.

The part will be spawned on equip, this way the kerbal will be able to access the part resources (part is "docked" to the kerbal on equip in this mode).

If you have any problem with this keep me informed.

Edit : Also, KIS eva propellant is working, it's just that it need to be used differently.

It do not extend the eva fuel, It only add a way to refuel the eva pack in flight : Right click on the item in the inventory and choose "Refuel" ;)

Edited by KospY

...KIS eva propellant is working, it's just that it need to be used differently.

It do not extend the eva fuel, It only add a way to refuel the eva pack in flight : Right click on the item in the inventory and choose "Refuel" ;)

I see how that works now, that is exceptionally cool!

I'm going to resist asking any more questions until you've had a chance to update the wiki. Thanks again :)

KSP crashes when attempting to attach a docking port.

Stock docking port? and what are you attempting to attach it to? Also, VAB/SPH or using KIS method?

Edit: Just tested and no issues, other than not being able to surface attach the clampotron sr.

Edited by smjjames

I see how that works now, that is exceptionally cool!

I'm going to resist asking any more questions until you've had a chance to update the wiki. Thanks again :)

No problem :)

Also, you can refuel the eva propellant itself by using "refuel" from a command pod.

Stock Docking Port Jr., trying to attach it to either the Probodyne probe or the Mk1 Lander Pod while on EVA, using 1.1.

Same craft or separate craft as the container? Just tried it on a MK1 pod, no problems.

Edit: Which probodyne probe?