[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

Using this system is really hard to master :-(

if i want to place something this is what i have to do: Press and hold "G"key, tap "T" key once, tripple click the left mouse button, press and hold "H" key, tap the "T" key, tripple click the left musebutton again... in short this sucks.. :-(

Does anyone know if there is a simpler way to use this?

I have no idea why it works for you, and not for me.
But i have to really struggle with it. Another thing i have found is that i cant attach anything from spaceship A t spaceship B.

I f i want to connect a strutt for instance, it wont allow me to connect it from, say a rocket to a space station.
I can only attach thing to the rocket, if it originally came with the rocket. And i can only attach things to the space station, if it was originally launched with the station.

Its a good modd.. it just dont work for me

2 hours ago, Björn Svantesson said:

But i have to really struggle with it. Another thing i have found is that i cant attach anything from spaceship A t spaceship B.

I f i want to connect a strutt for instance, it wont allow me to connect it from, say a rocket to a space station.
I can only attach thing to the rocket, if it originally came with the rocket. And i can only attach things to the space station, if it was originally launched with the station.

KAS struts cannot connect different vessels by design. A strut can only be attached in a scope of single vessel. If you need to connect a ship to a station use "pipe". Once it's done you can strengthen the connection by struts since at this point ship and station are parts of a single vessel.

As for the other scenario where you click three times I don't get why you need it too. Did you try to not do the other two clicks? :)

That is definitely not how it's supposed to work. Just to make, the correct install path is KSP_root/GameData/KIS

On 2/29/2016 at 5:56 PM, AlbertKermin said:

Sorry. With the latest update, the screwdriver in my Surface Experiment Pack mod became non-functional (it's supposed to be similar to the wrench, though only doing stackAttach, not surfaceAttach). Every time I hit "H" with it equipped now, KIS states "Tool Needed: This part cannot be attached without a tool.". Attempting to attach now results in the part being dropped. I'm a little frustrated, since this basically breaks my mod. :(

So, that's what I've figured out:

1. `toolPartAttach` is `ModuleKISItemAttachTool` is a setting to say if the tool enables attaching (there can be tools that don't allow attaching, and serve for some other purpose). By setting it to `false` you say it cannot. And that's what you observe with your current setup of screwdriver.
  2. The KIS code is fine. There was a bug with checking equipped tool: the check was omitted in some cases. And this bug you've actually exploited in your mod :).
  3. The "plug" in your mod is configured for static attachment which lets attaching it to the ground. It doesn't seem reasonable to me given the declared purpose of the plug.

That said, I'd suggest you to do the following fixes:

1. Set `toolPartAttach = true` in the screwdriver to allow it attaching things. It will make this tool a full equivalent of the KIS electric screwdriver. I may guess this is a consequence you were trying to workaround but setting `toolPartAttach = false` is not the right way to do it. The problem of attaching some parts with a specific tool needs to be addressed in the KIS at a more global scope. E.g. allow an item or part to be configured to which part(s) it can be attached, and what tool is needed for this. Let me know if this is the issue and I'll create a feature request.
  2. Set `allowStaticAttach = 0` and `allowPartAttach = 2` in the plug to allow this part be attached to another part when the tool is present. Btw, these are the default settings so, you can just drop them from the config altogether.

As far as I can tell these changes will result in what you need. Does it sound reasonable?

Note, for stable and strong connections, don't use the pipes. Pipes are for transfering resources and easy docking. To secure the connection use the KAS/KIS version of struts. It's a strut that works outside of VAB.

12 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Why do you have to tap "T" and why triple click ?

To reposition a part (for me):

Hold "G", left click and drag desired part. 

Release left mouse, position part

Hold "H" and left click once. 

T is probably to stop the Kerbal from spinning when dragging parts. Very annoying.

Nich: KAS and the winch system works fine, and no, i dont have to use it to connect things first.

Varsi: No, i have to tap the "T" key  so that the desired part get highlighted in green, before i can actually move it around.

ExplorerKlatt: i have uninstalled both KIS and KAS, reinstalled KIS and KAS, and its still the same.

thanks guys for helping me. *big smile*

Nich: KAS and the winch system works fine, and no, i dont have to use it to connect things first.

Varsi: No, i have to tap the "T" key  so that the desired part get highlighted in green, before i can actually move it around.

ExplorerKlatt: i have uninstalled both KIS and KAS, reinstalled KIS and KAS, and its still the same.

thanks guys for helping me. *big smile*

Something very different happening in your game. Definitely does not sound normal behavior.

37 minutes ago, dergernbern said:

anyone else getting a sound file error message and only a flash of inv? Is kis not compatible with mac or do I need to install it into squad folder rather than just gamedata? :huh:

Could you please give a screenshot of your folder structure starting from GameData? On Mac all names are case sensitive while on Windows they are not.

11 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Could you please give a screenshot of your folder structure starting from GameData? On Mac all names are case sensitive while on Windows they are not.

That is incorrect.  Macs are case-preserving, but not case-sensitive.  (By default: You can format your disks to be case-sensitive, but it breaks many applications.)

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

nvm it turned out one mod i had had a sound file with the same name as one in kis so its working now that i renamed it.

Realized I should have posted this here instead of on curse.

Found 2 bugs. 

1) EPL Survey Stakes wont "Attach" to the ground as of 1.2.4, but will in 1.2.3. I tried making the "ModuleKISItem" settings the same as kis_concreteBase1, and it still doesn't work.

2) Struts don't stack in inventory. Adding "partName = KAS_Strut1" to the StackableItemOverride in the settings.cfg file fixes this one.

Easily my favorite mod. My grand Minmus Mining Base plans are coming to life because of KIS and KAS. I'm planning to land an 18k container on Minmus containing all the parts to install this solar farm. But, I'm a little obsessive, and manually placing those solar panels is not only tedious—because I have to park the container in just the right spot for Bill to be able to reach the container in order to access the inventory, AND be able to reach the top of the tower in order to attach the panels—but impossible to do consistently. I'd love to be able to assemble one of these towers in the VAB, so that I can take advantage of symmetry, and then drop the whole subassembly into the container and duplicate it.

I searched the thread, and the only mentions of doing this had to do with it being a planned feature, but that was quite a while ago. Is it still a planned feature?

9c834bcd88.png2a869d07e0.png

12 hours ago, Felson said:

Realized I should have posted this here instead of on curse.

Found 2 bugs. 

1) EPL Survey Stakes wont "Attach" to the ground as of 1.2.4, but will in 1.2.3. I tried making the "ModuleKISItem" settings the same as kis_concreteBase1, and it still doesn't work.

2) Struts don't stack in inventory. Adding "partName = KAS_Strut1" to the StackableItemOverride in the settings.cfg file fixes this one.

1) What is "EPL Survey Stakes" (mod name, version, etc)? Please, give a screenshot of what do you observe when trying to attach it.
2) Works fine to me with 1.2.5:

Spoiler

nfLn5SA.jpg

Struts are whitelisted via module `KASModuleStrut` in the settings file. Are you sure the file is unchanged? Did you try to reproduce the issue with the other mods turned off?

Is there a way to KIS mumech robotic parts ? It seems to fail miserably at all times. Lets say I mount a Cnadarm pre-installed on a space station module. If I install the module with the arm on it , it will then disconnect as debris.

Edited by lextacy

Thanks for the replies. 

@IgorZ
As Aqua said, EPL = Extraplanetary Launchpads. The thread for that mod has another person bringing this up, but no solution except to downgrade. I tried to see if I could find a configuration change that would fix the issue, but had not luck. My best guess, is that there is something in EPL that is wrong, since the concrete base from KIS, the pylon from KAS and the peaceable light from MKS/OKS all work correctly. However, even changing the Survey Stakes to have the same settings as known working parts, it still doesn't function.

For issue 2, you might be right. I have 'allot' of mods running. I suspect that it should be a rather common set, but there are still a fair number of them.

• MechJeb
  • KIS/KAS
  • Extraplanetary Launchpads
  • Kolonization (MKS/OKS)
  • Karbonite
  • Karbonite Plus
  • SCANSat
  • ScienceAlert
  • [x] Science
  • KerbalStats
  • TweakScale
  • KerbalAlarmClock
  • Add-on Version Checker
  • Toolbar

Also a number of dependencies that came with the listed mods, and a patch for ScienceAlert that fixed a can't transmit data bug.

I did see the line in the config that referenced KASModuleStrut, and obviously that is meant to allow the struts to stack. Fixing this is rather simple, so really, the only reason I mentioned it was because I was already making a post regarding a bug... Removing all my mods, and testing is a bit of a pain, but I may give this a shot later in the week, adding back one mod at a time till it fails.

@taniwha
Thanks in advance for looking. As a software developer, I know that these kinds of issues can be a huge pain to figure out. Add that to the fact that you are doing all this in your spare time... I have I HUGE appreciation for guys like you that put in this much time for little to no financial reward.

20 hours ago, lextacy said:

Is there a way to KIS mumech robotic parts ? It seems to fail miserably at all times. Lets say I mount a Cnadarm pre-installed on a space station module. If I install the module with the arm on it , it will then disconnect as debris.

Not in the current state of KIS. KIS works with KSP parts at the very basic level, and IR does some advanced stuff. An investigation of IR is needed to support it in KIS. It's in my future plans but the priority is low for now. If anyone would do the investigation and let me know what's the problem is it will greatly speedup the fix.

On 3/5/2016 at 0:27 PM, blorgon said:

I searched the thread, and the only mentions of doing this had to do with it being a planned feature, but that was quite a while ago. Is it still a planned feature?

This feature is not in the roadmap as for now. Though, if anyone is willing to do the coding I'm willing to do the review and integration :)