[1.1.2] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) 1.2.12

KospY

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:37 AM, yourshadows said:

i dont understand what you mean? i'm in the VAB and open the seat inventory by right clicking the part and then i click the item from the parts section of the VAB and drag them into the seat inventory window that shows up, the part just drops through however

Yeah I can't even get the inventory menus to pop up... the containers don't open up the inventory menu at all.

6 minutes ago, bigbadvoodoodady_1 said:

Yeah I can't even get the inventory menus to pop up... the containers don't open up the inventory menu at all.

KIS/KAS do not work in 1.1. 

17 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Plain re-compilation for 1.1 didn't work so, investigation/refactoring efforts will be required. The issue is tracked here: https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/113. I'd estimate 1.1 support in 1.2.7.

1 hour ago, bigbadvoodoodady_1 said:

do you mean the KIS inventory or the parts from this mod to show up in the VAB/SPH?

I'm literally going through withdrawals right now because i decided to try out 1.1 and now cannot use KIS/KAS lol

Really looking forward to this and RemoteTech to be 1.1 compatible

Edited by worsin

1 hour ago, yourshadows said:

do you mean the KIS inventory or the parts from this mod to show up in the VAB/SPH?

You can drop it.  He was wasting people's time trying to use it with 1.1 as noted in the posts just above yours.

7 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

You can drop it.  He was wasting people's time trying to use it with 1.1 as noted in the posts just above yours.

ahhh, i only read the reply to my post that i was alerted about, thank you golden for letting me know

I have a couple suggestions. I would like to see gravity change how much a kerbal can lift. Meaning however much gravity makes an object lighter. They should be able to lift that much more (I dont know the math behind this). Also the more kerbals that are nearby the further their total reach should be.

8 hours ago, Arju2011 said:

Do we have an ETA for the 1.1 update? Did the upgrade to unity 5 break a lot of things?

I wouldn't expect anything until 1.1 is released (no a pre-release is not a release).  If mods get updated beforehand that is a bonus but during the 1.1 pre-release everyone should be focusing on bug testing the game not playing it.

1 hour ago, omelaw said:

as 1.1 doesn't support 1.0.5 ui, You should expect every mod will be broken.

Stop spreading incorrect information.  KSP 1.1 doesn't use the old UI API but that does not mean it isn't still supported.  It most definitely is still supported and quite a few mods that use it have been updated to work with KSP 1.1 already.  The issues that break most mods are simply that things have been moved around between the assemblies and quite a lot of old UI related classes have been replaced with new ones.

6 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I wouldn't expect anything until 1.1 is released (no a pre-release is not a release).  If mods get updated beforehand that is a bonus but during the 1.1 pre-release everyone should be focusing on bug testing the game and updated mods, not playing it.

FTFY.  You should never "expect" a mod to be updated at all and the only reason for the pre-release that was explicitly given in Ted's original announcement of the pre-release was to give all modders more time to get their mods updated before the actual release so Squad definitely want people to run it with mods...

16 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Stop spreading incorrect information.  KSP 1.1 doesn't use the old UI API but that does not mean it isn't still supported.  It most definitely is still supported and quite a few mods that use it have been updated to work with KSP 1.1 already.  The issues that break most mods are simply that things have been moved around between the assemblies and quite a lot of old UI related classes have been replaced with new ones.

FTFY.  You should never "expect" a mod to be updated at all and the only reason for the pre-release that was explicitly given in Ted's original announcement of the pre-release was to give all modders more time to get their mods updated before the actual release so Squad definitely want people to run it with mods...

I would generally suggest reading closely, as that isn't how it reads.

Typically a select group of particularly KSP-savvy modders would be given access to the new update to help us find bugs, but the extent of the changes this time around is such that we feel we should open it up to everyone.

Highlighted the important bits.  We are all supposed to be helping find bugs.  The key point is we are here to help get the official release out bug free, not just enjoy 1.1 early.  And I never said stock only.

But the important point is to step back and let the modders do their work.  There are a number of people pestering in threads about 1.1 updates, ETA's etc.  Let the modders do their work, there is no need to pester them about it, as many have their work cut out for them.  When they get a release out then we can help them TEST it

@goldenpsp, sorry I was a bit needlessly picky at you there, the previous post annoyed me...

However, the paragraph that you pulled that quote out of is talking about modders having to update their mods.  It is the job of the QA and Experimentals teams "to help find bugs" in the stock game.  The "select group" of modders that are mentioned help to find bugs specifically with how a new version of KSP interacts with mods and suggest changes to the core game to make modders' jobs easier.  This requires them to update their mods to find out and it requires other people to run with the mods.

Even with your interpretation of that quote, it still doesn't say that "we are all supposed to be helping find bugs".  It says that everyone has the opportunity to do so if they feel like it.  If they don't, and instead, they feel like just playing it, and they can accept that there will be bugs, then that's fine too.  Some people find the process of game testing and bug hunting fun but a lot of people don't (or don't actually know how to do it "properly").  I suspect that Squad would rather they still gave 1.1 a go and just played it normally as that is what most players will do when it is released.  If they can then give reasonable feedback about their experience then great, but if not, then there's no harm done.

Anyway, your last paragraph is spot on, the update to this mod (and every other) will be available for testing with 1.1 when it's ready.  Just wait, do not annoy modders whether you intend to help test their mod or just play with it.

Back somewhat more on topic, one issue this mod may have to deal with is that direct messing with the mass of parts is no longer supported and mods must use the IPartMassModifier mechanism to do this.  I'm not sure what will go wrong if you do mess with part.mass directly but various things could.

2 minutes ago, Padishar said:

@goldenpsp, sorry I was a bit needlessly picky at you there, the previous post annoyed me...

However, the paragraph that you pulled that quote out of is talking about modders having to update their mods.  It is the job of the QA and Experimentals teams "to help find bugs" in the stock game.  The "select group" of modders that are mentioned help to find bugs specifically with how a new version of KSP interacts with mods and suggest changes to the core game to make modders' jobs easier.  This requires them to update their mods to find out and it requires other people to run with the mods.

Even with your interpretation of that quote, it still doesn't say that "we are all supposed to be helping find bugs".  It says that everyone has the opportunity to do so if they feel like it.  If they don't, and instead, they feel like just playing it, and they can accept that there will be bugs, then that's fine too.  Some people find the process of game testing and bug hunting fun but a lot of people don't (or don't actually know how to do it "properly").  I suspect that Squad would rather they still gave 1.1 a go and just played it normally as that is what most players will do when it is released.  If they can then give reasonable feedback about their experience then great, but if not, then there's no harm done.

Anyway, your last paragraph is spot on, the update to this mod (and every other) will be available for testing with 1.1 when it's ready.  Just wait, do not annoy modders whether you intend to help test their mod or just play with it.

Back somewhat more on topic, one issue this mod may have to deal with is that direct messing with the mass of parts is no longer supported and mods must use the IPartMassModifier mechanism to do this.  I'm not sure what will go wrong if you do mess with part.mass directly but various things could.

We will have to disagree somewhat.  The point of the pre-release is for testing, period.  If any user simply wants to play with 1.1 then that's fine, as long as they understand the pre-release wasn't made available FOR THEM.

The long and short of it, and my source of frustration is seeing modders get beat down by people pestering them for mod updates.  It is bad enough with a normal release.  They don't need that grief in this situation (they don't really deserve it ever tbh). 

So bottom line, if you are helping to test stuff, just be patient and when a mod is updated grab and test.  If you are just trying to play 1.1 but you are just missing your favorite mods, well politely get in the back of the line and shut up :sticktongue:

The only thing I have to add is that at least for my own mods, every time I rush to get an update out, it inevitably has lots of bugs. KIS & KAS are pretty complicated, with a lot of moving parts. There's definitely more than just relatively simple UI changes going on. I'd advise having patience to give @KospY, @IgorZ and crew time to get it right unless you'd like to see all kinds of bugs in the system.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

So bottom line, if you are helping to test stuff, just be patient and when a mod is updated grab and test.  If you are just trying to play 1.1 but you are just missing your favorite mods, well politely get in the back of the line and shut up :sticktongue:

Agreed 100%

1 hour ago, JoeOP said:

mod author hasnt logged in here since feb 27. its possible this mod could be abandoned.

Not abandoned yet. @IgorZ has been maintaining this and KAS. 

1 hour ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Agreed 100%

Not abandoned yet. @IgorZ has been maintaining this and KAS. 

Might not be within his skill set to fix certain things, I don't know how complicated it's gotten with the update but I'm guessing it'll take more than rudimentary skills. I have faith in IgorZ though, I can't really play without this mod without feeling like I can't do anything I wanna do. 

34 minutes ago, Darkstar616 said:

Might not be within his skill set to fix certain things, I don't know how complicated it's gotten with the update but I'm guessing it'll take more than rudimentary skills. I have faith in IgorZ though, I can't really play without this mod without feeling like I can't do anything I wanna do. 

This mod will get updated.  Regardless of skill level, there are simply too many people, and more importantly other modders who rely on KIS functionality.  There will be plenty of talent to get this one updated.

1 hour ago, Darkstar616 said:

Main challenge here is lack of information on what has changed in 1.1. It's good when mod breaks in compilation because it's easy to find what's wrong. When it compiles and runs but doesn't work it's much harder. And this is what happen with KIS when I compiled it for 1.1: it loads fine and works somehow but attempt to move stuff between inventories throws a lot of errors.

As I mentioned before 1.1 support is targeted to 1.2.7. Version 1.2.6 is reserved for an important refactoring which needs to be done before 1.1 (and this part is almost done). After 1.2.6 my main focus will be 1.1 support. Though, for now I'm not ready to give ETA.

Without needed info you need to put additional writtings in log just to see if code is executed in porper order as intended, run game, try something in game, check out logs, exit game, change code and recompile, try out again and repeat everything ....

Time consuming even if you are familiar with whole code. Thanks for all effort that is put in maintenance of this mod, do only as much as possible in free time, otherwise it might bring more frustration than joy while working on it.

19 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Main challenge here is lack of information on what has changed in 1.1. It's good when mod breaks in compilation because it's easy to find what's wrong. When it compiles and runs but doesn't work it's much harder. And this is what happen with KIS when I compiled it for 1.1: it loads fine and works somehow but attempt to move stuff between inventories throws a lot of errors.

As I mentioned before 1.1 support is targeted to 1.2.7. Version 1.2.6 is reserved for an important refactoring which needs to be done before 1.1 (and this part is almost done). After 1.2.6 my main focus will be 1.1 support. Though, for now I'm not ready to give ETA.

This mod is awesome. Thanks for taking the time on maintaning it. No rush.

Welp, in the past we had to deal with updates that were buggier and less stable than pre-1.1. seems to be.  I suspect most people just shrug and treat it like a regular update. Desensitivisation at its finest :P