What should the 1.0 trailer be like?

I have been thinking about the game trailer for 1.0. I think that it should focus on the whole game, rather than just the new features being added to KSP, like other update trailers have. My idea is basically a new version of the "Build Fly Dream" trailer; a montage of different gameplay clips. I think that there should be things in the trailer that most people would recognize: A shuttle-like spaceplane, large solar panels on a station, a descent stage left at the Mun.

Here is my idea:

-Sunrise over a silhouetted planet

-cut to a shot of a flag and descent stage on the Mun, with Kerbin in the sky

-A rover driving on Duna

-A far-away shot of a plane flying at Laythe, with Jool in the sky

-A space station over Eeloo, looking back at Kerbol

-A lone Kerbal on Ike, looking up at Duna

That would just e the opening sequence, just my ideas. What do you think the trailer should be like?

Montage depicting the gradual buildup of a space program, from simple rockets to satellites to Mun landings to space stations to huge interplanetary motherships, all set to "Fanfare for the Common Man," because that piece of music is just screaming "BEHOLD THE AMAZING THINGS WE CAN ACCOMPLISH IF WE WORK TOGETHER"

I actually think that explosions would be a bad thing to include. I think the trailer should focus on all of the things you can accomplish.

yup, this

Otherwise people would play and buy the game only for explosions and wacky stuff, and not for the science and exploration.

I'd like to see a fairly even balance between funny Kerbal hijinks, and actually designing and flying spaceships. I like the Kerbal hijinks! But far too many of the past update videos would leave a new potential customer uncertain what the game is really about.

Kind of like how many years ago there was a series of commercials meant to attract customers to their local flight school, and learn to fly an airplane. The commercials featured slow sweeping skyviews, lots of puffy clouds and sunrises, not an airplane in sight, while the voiceover droned on about realizing your dreams and soaring with the wind. I thought they were selling some kind of new age hippy meditation crap! Never guessed for a second the commercials were meant to get people into school for a pilot's license.

Similarly, the big release trailer needs to make it clear that KSP is mostly about building and flying spaceships. All the other stuff is cool too, Kerbals can be funny... but that's the core gameplay.

I'd like to see a fairly even balance between funny Kerbal hijinks, and actually designing and flying spaceships. I like the Kerbal hijinks! But far too many of the past update videos would leave a new potential customer uncertain what the game is really about.

Kind of like how many years ago there was a series of commercials meant to attract customers to their local flight school, and learn to fly an airplane. The commercials featured slow sweeping skyviews, lots of puffy clouds and sunrises, not an airplane in sight, while the voiceover droned on about realizing your dreams and soaring with the wind. I thought they were selling some kind of new age hippy meditation crap! Never guessed for a second the commercials were meant to get people into school for a pilot's license.

Similarly, the big release trailer needs to make it clear that KSP is mostly about building and flying spaceships. All the other stuff is cool too, Kerbals can be funny... but that's the core gameplay.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have heard that those who attend the big gaming conventions, the ones where gaming companies reveal their new games, get very angry if they get some fancy cinematic, rather than a look at the actual gameplay.

However, space is one of those things I feel you cannot overlook without pointing out the beauty. Perhaps the trailer could have parts where a player is seen building a rocket. Then a cinematic part could carry out that rocket's mission. That way, the point tat KSP is all about rocket building and flying should be pretty clear.

Explosions!

How about the creativity and sense of wonder the game can provide?

- - - Updated - - -

I think it should be made up of 99.9% in-game video. If in-game visuals are not pretty enough, then improve them until they are.

Sell the product, not the marketing video.

Absolutely this.

...The commercials featured slow sweeping skyviews, lots of puffy clouds and sunrises, not an airplane in sight.
The way you wrote this immediately reminded me of the story of how the Infinity car brand was introduced to the world. The first commercials were the exact same thing, only at ground level. They showed the experience of moving along scenic roads, without a car. Someone observed at the time: "I don't know what this ad does for Infinity, but, the sales of rocks and trees went up overnight!"

How about the creativity and sense of wonder the game can provide?
I think it should be made up of 99.9% in-game video. If in-game visuals are not pretty enough, then improve them until they are.

Sell the product, not the marketing video.

Yaaaaaaaas

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

It should show brief clips of things relevant to KSP 1.0's new features and the history of KSP

In this order, here's my idea-

Scene 1-Ingame footage, with some camera trickery not in the real game (I'm sure Squad could mess with cameras for a cinematic)

-Launching of a rocket in every KSP version. Each version should have a few seconds.

-The last "old version" will show the rocket blasting into the distance.

-Fade out to next scene.

Scene 2-Filmed using mostly in-game footage, possibly using some camera trickery not in the real game.

-A small lifting body/short wing spaceplane is re-entering, showing re-entry effects and a thermometer animation to show heating. (Think Dream Chaser)

-The plane lands on the KSC runway

-Cut forward to a rocket launch with a fairing.

-Close-up on rocket's engines, showing the thrust going up with a "gauge" animation.

-The first stage cuts off and the upper stage ignites. I believe we will be getting some visual effects with engines, so this would showcase those.

-The fairing splits open (close-up view) to reveal the spaceplane from the start of the scene.

-Scene cuts to black

Scene 3 - Uses original animation for IVA scenes with ingame footage outside.

-We see Valentina piloting the rocket. (IVA-animation)

-The second stage cuts off and the spaceplane separates and begins to use RCS.

-We see a space station in the distance and Valentina's lifting body docks.

-Inside the station, Valentina is welcomed. (IVA-animation)

-The Kerbals celebrate Valentina's arrival and the new technology of her rocket. As the camera pans away from the Kerbals, we see a banner that says KSP 1.0 - "Ready for Liftoff" (That's my name for this version) IVA-animation

-The scene fades to black except for the logo banner, which stays on the screen.

@GigaG: your first scene makes me think of that scene at movie theaters when we see the Wright bro's plane, then biplane, then P51 mustang, then F18, Shuttle, and finally an interstellar ship. And it's a good Idea, except this time with KSP versions, brilliant.

Good Ideas all around =)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.