The Elcano Challenge : Ground-based circumnavigation

Alright, the images have come in from HQ, time for my attempt.

The vehicle I will be using is a replica/copy/remake of Kanil's LSED, only with an enlarged fuselage, wider pontoons and extra fuel tanks on the pontoons. I call it the Waterhopper Mk. VI.

Kanil, if you are reading this, I apologize for using your basic concept, it is an amazing machine and I thought it could use some modifications to give it some longer range.

Anyways, time for the images!

http://imgur.com/a/GDqkc

Good luck Bob. Start your thread in fanworks and let me know what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

:o

Also, I just might be putting together a new circumnavigation rover as well.

Landin's been anxious to get back out into the countryside :)

Well, glad you enjoyed it. I'm not that masochistic yet... but I occasionally get the urge.

a quick question fengist

what mods did you use in your crossing of eve. this includes any mods that helped you to get to eve, helped you cross eve, helped you know where you are on eve and any other aesthetic mods. i found your trip on eve inspiring and i would like to take inspiration from you ship to make my own crossing. see what other things there are on the surface of eve.

-dinodie

Kanil, if you are reading this, I apologize for using your basic concept, it is an amazing machine and I thought it could use some modifications to give it some longer range.

No worries. I took inspiration from Fengist's craft, pleased to see someone taking inspiration from mine. Just keep in mind, the more you stick underwater, the harder your engines have to work, the more fuel they have to consume -- having submerged rover wheels nearly tripled fuel consumption, which is why I switched to landing gear.

I'm still working on my mission, despite my inactivity, I still plan on finishing it. The bugs are a bit discouraging at times, though -- some surfaces cause the craft to accelerate for no apparent reason, typically resulting in a crash and quickload.

Anyone who does the challenge has WAY too much time on their hands:)

or maybe its just me- I'm at an international school. In Hong Kong. Having to compeate with the kids who needed to know how to read and write at four to get in

This sounds like a job for the Jet ATV mk6.

I might need to give it more fuel it only carries 300LF per engine

Edit:

I have started my journey, wish me luck :)

Something tells me 900lf still wont be enough and ill be needing to start again lol, already used 50 in 20km

iaOBBpr.jpg

DptdORK.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Anyone who does the challenge has WAY too much time on their hands:)

or maybe its just me- I'm at an international school. In Hong Kong. Having to compeate with the kids who needed to know how to read and write at four to get in

Not really - I do mine in hour & a half/two hour legs every couple of days or so, there's no rush. I'm going via the poles & only just made it back to the equator, not even halfway on the route plan yet after 10-11 days. Writing it up is more effort :P

I had to make some changes to the jet ATV, But now she is ready to start the journey, going north this time, wish me luck

Vx3BDUv.jpg

vwWl4iO.jpg

Edit:

Currently cruising along the grass lands at a comfy 300km/h

JGtsXW2.jpg

Edit:

Pausing my journey for the day, about 150km down, how ever many more to go lol.

Z60gzil.jpg

You misspelled Brotoro's name in the OP as "Boronto". :wink:

Since I'm in the process of setting up a base on Duna, I will probably circumnavigate it once it is set up. I have a capable rover(which unfortunately caps at 21m/s), and it is able to house not one but two Kerbals, and I'll soon enough have nine on the base. I'm eager to see how my adventure on the poles will be! :)

I'm still up and running but made only small progress recently since my lead locomotive blew that turbine generator.. everythings running well now with D4001 road shunter on the back.. but it just doesnt look right.. having a locomotive at each end..

alas everytime I try to couple D4001 to 4408.. we get an attack of the cab-kraken.. (internal camera focused on docking port)

thats so bad.. today I was seeing 4408s .. from 4408s cab.....

so back to the rear went D4001.. and onwards we went with 4408 leading as usual

EAChmXn.jpg

It begins! :D

NX2GHFx.png

I'll be hitting as many Easter Eggs on the way as possible... I'm hoping to see the North Pole [DATA EXPUNGED]! :)

EDIT:

Is it acceptable to go on the "scenic route?" I.E. not directly around the planet, but meandering back and forth looking at points of interest?

It would still be recognizable as a ring around the planet, though.

Edited by Starwhip

journey update:

10km of IVA in the Jet ATV on the way to randevu with Munley kermin

And i met up with Munley just as night fell, great timing there :) these two will have to call it for the night, munley will scout out the route in the morning and Jeb will follow. atm these two are 200km from the space center.

8B70VBh.jpg

FBEbeMX.jpg

Edit:

have a long journey lined up tomorrow... and a bit of an obstacle once Jeb reaches Munly

bV3sgCr.jpg

5pM2u6y.jpg

Glad to see so many folks attempting the Kerbin circumnavigation :)

I just kinda wish at least one person would go after it Slam_Jones style: with a tiny rover that looks like it shouldn't make it :D

Oh well. Maybe one day

Glad to see so many folks attempting the Kerbin circumnavigation :)

I just kinda wish at least one person would go after it Slam_Jones style: with a tiny rover that looks like it shouldn't make it :D

Oh well. Maybe one day

Haha this is going to take long enough in the Jet ATV doing over 200kmh on average :P

Haha this is going to take long enough in the Jet ATV doing over 200kmh on average :P

Smaller doesn't have to mean slower... just means more pit-stops :P

The rover I've been working for my next (potential) attempt cruises at about 78m/s on water... basically as fast as Starwhip's goes. But it runs out of fuel much quicker haha

I've also considered modifying the .cfg for the Ruggedized wheels so they can get up to 120m/s without popping. Haven't gotten to it yet tho...

I've determined the death speed on water: ~84 m/s

Don't go any faster than about 81 and you'll be golden. :)

Oh, and a note: Refueling on water is going to be hard. I'm not planning on it. :wink:

Two and a half hours should get me to some nearby landmass, right? :huh:

EDIT: Update:

At 7 20' 46" South. (~75 km from KSC, not counting curvature)

D8IpDyJ.png

Edited by Starwhip