[Science, or Philosophy?] What is Science?

What is science to you?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What is science to you?

• A localized area of knowledge
    • A universal topic of factual discussions
    • An area to strive for perfection
    • A system we use to prove ourselves wrong
    • Something we use to expand beyond our limits
    • Something we use to better what we have now
    • Both 5 & 6
    • Something to explain that which cannot be understood
    • Speculations about the real world
    • Other. Put into your own words

I hear those fingers at those keys. Get away from those and finish the post.

Also, where exactly should this post go? There's no real place where it fits...

It's a strange question that has no real one answer. I mean, come on, you use it a lot. It's what enables you to read this, and to reply to it. It allows you to take your family photos. It's what allowed the invention of common everyday things, like a lightbulb, a candle, a window, a calculator, your computer, and even your house. It should be fairly straightforward, right? ...right? A bit harder that you thought, eh? I'll let you think on it...

Got your answer? Now don't go look it up in a dictionary; I want to hear your definition of Science in your own words.

What do you think it is?

What will it allow us to do in the future?

Are we using it properly?

What is it's potential?

Does it even have any limits?

All of these questions can only be answered by you.

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

As an abstract concept or as a method of action? 'Bout to sleep so not going to do any write up on both. Just gonna read this thread again when I wake up and probably write something about it...probably when it already get swarmed by other's posts.

Edited by RainDreamer

To me, science is a cycle of observation, theorization and experimentation.

Observe a phenomenon. Theorize about it. Dis/prove the theory by experimentation. Rinse and repeat.

(Not necessarily in that order - some things were theorized about first and only observed after the experiment. Some things were discovered by experimentation and explained by theories later. Still good science to me.)

Science is a method and a way of thinking. By making observations, formulating hypotheses and testing those (by seeing if predictions from the hypothesis are true), it is the only tool to find out what reality is like.

As for some of your secondary questions:

What will it allow us to do in the future?

That's impossible to say. It's hard enough predicting what we will find out in ten years, let alone in the distant future (at least that is what your question sounds like to me). I am convinced of one thing though, if humanity lives long enough it will discover many exciting and strange new things beyond our wildest dreams. Think something like quantum mechanics, or the theory of relativity, only one step further still.

Are we using it properly?

"We" as in humanity...not completely. You just have to look at all the misuse of science in the form of weapons. Really not a surprise if you look at humanity today though, maybe one day we will grow up and only use science for good.

What is it's potential?

Pure speculation, but science may one day fully explain our universe and maybe even beyond that. If we as humans are intelligent enough to understand it and get this far is another question.

It's been referenced indirectly but it's formally the Scientific Method. The selections available show a misunderstanding of the concept, I think. It's not a body of knowledge but a system used to define it; better yet, it can define any body of knowledge that has observable and testable components. Hypothesize, predict, observe, revise, repeatable, peer-reviewable, and open to scrutiny. The wonderful thing about science is that a better or more accurate hypothesis is welcomed if it can stand up to the tests used to predict, repeat, and validate it.

Naturally, this answer isn't absolute either and I've no doubt missed things in hammering it out. :)

stand_back_i__m_going_to_try_science__fb_cover_by_ahandgesture-d5fh4c8.jpg

It's been referenced indirectly but it's formally the Scientific Method. The selections available show a misunderstanding of the concept, I think. It's not a body of knowledge but a system used to define it; better yet, it can define any body of knowledge that has observable and testable components. Hypothesize, predict, observe, revise, repeatable, peer-reviewable, and open to scrutiny. The wonderful thing about science is that a better or more accurate hypothesis is welcomed if it can stand up to the tests used to predict, repeat, and validate it.

Naturally, this answer isn't absolute either and I've no doubt missed things in hammering it out. :)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/264/a/a/stand_back_i__m_going_to_try_science__fb_cover_by_ahandgesture-d5fh4c8.jpg

Yes, it can be used well in some weird settings, I used it twice in the Oblivion computer game, first to find an cost effective destruction spell. The model did not match the observations so well however I came up with some devastating spells and was happy :) Second was in proving that luck did not affect loot amount or quality something who was stated in the manual.

My definition of science is:

A methodology for systematically searching for truth about the universe in which we live while eliminating or mitigating as much as possible our biases in thinking.

For example, a good experiment is one that can prove the theory in question wrong, not one that can prove the theory in question right. This is because we Humans have a confirmation bias to overcome. The more we know about the limitations on how we think and reason, the better our protocols for doing experiments and the more likely we are to derive something correct about our universe.

Knowledge and facts about the universe are the products of science, not the science itself.

Edited by Leszek
Additional clarification.

Kind of surprised this one wasn't even on the list.

In addition to the other things that have been posted here: For me, Science is a discipline. While I suppose that can be classified as a philosophy, philosophy usually comes with some form of social moral code.

Also, fascinating poll results so far. The votes for each item closely match the average.

Edited by vger

IMO science is a method to ensure that our conclusions, from our observations, are right. When I type this, for example, I observe this bright thing, writing what I want to write. It could be a man-made thing which helps me to write, it could be a part of my body (as it understands what I want !). It could be any other things, maybe aliens, or it could be a friend. Without doing science (like, knocking the object, puncture it, looking at labels, asking, etc.), you can't deduce which is actually right - even after doing them, it might still be wrong or imperfect...

Philosophy is a different thing - IMO it's more self-centered. You try to create a thing that purely comply with your thoughts. Science, or maybe, nature, don't at all - you can't be sure that the Sun is perfectly the same with this object you see at nighttime. Your predictions might go wrong after several decades, or millenia - you can't tell. If science is a philosophy, it'd change every other time...

Edited by YNM

Some very interesting replies. And I see we have variety in the options of the poll. Maybe that is what science is; diversity. Ideas from everyone pooled into a topic of discussion, and used to formulate a definite conclusion on the end result, regardless if it's true or not.

But hey, It's all open for your mind.

I tried to ignore comments before my first post here to keep it as original and subjective as possible as I understand the OP's intention that way.

To me the speculation about the real world answer fits best. Of course it's so much more. It's also a method of approaching and discussing a certain area of knowledge. It's something that has developed out of the need to find a professional and commonly accepted base of communication, while establishing principles that try to keep those discussions as objective and rational as possible. But it's all orientated towards a better understanding of the world.

At first I also considered the proving ourselves wrong answer, but as I thought about it I 'only' think that it's a very important function of science. It's not the main purpuse of science in my opinion. It's a method to ensure a more objective/open discussion, instead of docmatic repetition of statements about the world.

Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That's what being is a scientist is all about.

That was said by Hubert J. Farnsworth. Inventor of the Planet Express Ship, the forward time machine, and the Smelloscope.

Just a way to kill time like another until time send your atoms elsewhere ... nothing special at all to be so proud off without generalisation within specialities ... #AsheTag

& #NomatterMorematterNowmatter

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.