What's the stupidest space-related thing you've ever heard someone say?

SlabGizor117

If that's aimed at me, I have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say anyone was ignorant or uneducated.

Sorry, it was not aimed at you, I should have separated it a bit more from your comment. It was a general discussion on the thread. Some people can be quick to decide and think they know why people make mistakes. In effect, making their own mistake in the process.

You don't have to chance the rotation. All an impact has to do is flip the axis. Now the planet still spins like it has always done but to an observer it looks like it's spinning in the opposite direction.

And we know an impact can significantly chance axial tilt. Uranus has been flipped to almost 98°.

Yes, wonder how angle that impact hit in? My guess would be hit on the edge coming in from top or bottom, I agree it should require less energy but its still an giant impact who would kill all life.

Prevailing wisdom is that Venus' axis flipped somehow.

There are arguments that it could have simply reversed because of it's tremendously slow rotational speed.

Obviously we don't actually know either way, but short of some cataclysmic event, I can't imagine the forces necessary to cause this change just sauntering by one fine evening.

It probably actually had a moon, which, due to tidal forces, crashed into Venus and it in addition to solar activity caused Venus to have a runaway greenhouse effect. That's why it rotates backward.

So I just found this today [Warning: This may decrease your IQ, kill your brain cells, and leave you in existential despair]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHfzmlYEpI4

Kill me. Kill me now.

I'm terrified of what humankind may become. The utter lack of competence in the majority of the population may eventually cause the following story:

The asteroid Apophis is approaching Earth. We will all die in 1 year. Here's the dialogue in the UN:
Rep 1: But nukes in space breaks treaties!
Rep 2 (The only logical guy here): What's more important here? Treaties or the survival of humankind?
Rep 3: What's an asteroid?
Rep 2: A space potato.
Rep 3: Potatoes? That won't kill us!
Rep 2: ......
Rep 4: What's a rocket? What's an asteroid?
[Rep 2 later left and never came back. 1 year later, humankind went extinct due to their own incompetence.]

Edited by _Augustus_

I think at the end of the day, people just have trouble grasping space because it's not a tangible part of their lives. How many Europeans do you think knew jack about the Americas?

Until Space becomes an important part of people's lives, they won't know much about it, because it doesn't tangibly impact their existence.:)

Besides, Space is a bit hard to wrap your head around. It's huge, like, REALLY huge.

- - - Updated - - -

So I just found this today [Warning: This may decrease your IQ, kill your brain cells, and leave you in existential despair]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHfzmlYEpI4

Oh God.

*Pulls out Revolver*

Until Space becomes an important part of people's lives, they won't know much about it, because it doesn't tangibly impact their existence.

I know what you're saying, but the problem is that people don't understand that space does impact their lives every time they turn on their TV to check the weather.

People don't think about water purification, either. It's not a technology that exists anymore. It's become part of the "background noise" of modern existence that they don't have to think about. It's simply there, without thought, even though they depend on it for their very way of life.

Edit:

Not that I'm any different. I start getting out of sorts if I can't keep up with my webcomics every day.

(Although, I do occasionally find myself considering how many acres of wilderness I would need to feed a small family.)

Edited by razark

I know what you're saying, but the problem is that people don't understand that space does impact their lives every time they turn on their TV to check the weather.

People don't think about water purification, either.

At the end of the day, people don't think at all. It's amazing how short sighted we are as a species.

To be honest, I don't think it's a matter of not knowing much, or being dumb. People can ask questions, yes. That's one of the most vital ways to learn, be it an idiotic question such as "Why is there no gravity in space?" To questions that still aren't answered by today's research. We've all been there. Being a 5 year old who was curious to learn about the world. We can't blame them for wondering, because we wonder ourselves too.

What truly annoys me is ignorance. Having all the legitimate facts, evidences and all that, yet still believing you are right about everything. Bah, these teachers are idiots! The Apollo landing never happened because I saw it on the internet! Never being open to learn, and still dedicating yourself to information you know is incorrect. Ignoring what people tell you. Thinking you're always right, no matter what. Hey guys, look at this idiot! He's studying all about the Apollo landings! Everybody knows it's faake!! (I'm serious. Being a big bookworm, I was always being bugged about my friends saying that it was all a hoax.) It's why there are so many people who know little yet think of themselves as superior these days.

Wait, my personal experiences with them? Oh, as I mentioned earlier, people always bugged me about the landings being hoaxes because "the flag was waving!" and all that.

You know, I just find it sad that such an amazing triumph of mankind is being shunned by hoaxers who like finding tiny flaws and making it a screaming basis on their whole "protest". :(

i once asked this guy in my class "hey, do you think the sun goes around the earth, or do you think the earth goes around the sun?" as a joke, expecting him to go "LoL, Duh!". but instead he just stared at me Confused and said: "the sun goes across the sky...".

I've always wondered why there hasn't been a real life mission to the real life equivalent of minimus...

Yes, would make perfectly sends as its much easier to land on.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, human brain has limited capacity. It is has lot of capacity, but still, limited. What people fill in that is their choice, and some simply have better choices than some other. It is no fault of anyone.

Rather time is limited and interests are different.

Lots of the time you just accept info as it take too long too check things out. If you have base knowledge or even common sense its easier to filter out the obvious wrong.

Problem is people who both lack knowledge and common sense. Space is a bit confusing as common sense fails very often.

"When two objects are going the same speed, they orbit each other"

-Today

- - - Updated - - -

Well, this thread has just become a clear example of how the KSP community is getting worse. No offense.

Hmm, let's take a look at this:

Name: Columbia, representing the ship. I wouldn't be so mad about this if it weren't for your location:

Location: Burning up over the planet Kearth, in the Kolar Kystem Referring to the space shuttle columbia disaster when it burned up in the atmosphere.

If the community is getting worse, you're probably the pillar behind it.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just upset over this.

I was just trying to tell people that they're starting to get out of hand. I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

And since when did my name become a contributing factor behind this? It's not as if I'm trying to disrespect the crew who died from it. You don't have to throw insults to tell me that I'm wrong or anything. If you want to counter my point, I'm okay with that. But you didn't have to insult my whole username just to do it.

If I truly offended anyone, I sincerely apologize. I was only trying to prove a point.

Edited by Columbia

I was just trying to tell people that they're starting to get out of hand. I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

And since when did my name become a contributing factor behind this? It's not as if I'm trying to disrespect the crew who died from it.

I hope you understand.

I think it is just a misunderstood attempt to roundaboutly, but more succinctly, saying "this thread is probably as upsetting as your screen name -

which may be misconstrued as an offensive and disrespectful, but it is actually not."

...I think. It is a big leap in logic.

Either way, I don't think people here are doing this to make fun of, and gloat over, less informed people to feel good about themselves for being more "intelligent". This is not "complacency of the learned" (bonus point for those who get the reference, even more points if done without google). They are sharing frustration about lack of what should be considered common knowledge that anyone could learn through general education. By

sharing stories of what is missing in the knowledge of the mass, we too, learned something. More specifically, we can see how we can help others to educate themselves, and the first step to do that is knowing what they do not know yet, and then we can figure out how we can help them learn.

The space quiz that came out from this thread is quite a nice example of that - it is an easily approachable quiz of small trivia, and it educate people about small, but interesting things. Kind of like KSP. Instead of throwing a book at people and tell them to learn everything, we can start with smaller things, like misconceptions.

And again...that is just my thinking, and I am doing leaps of faith over logic cliffs now. Hope there are bales of hay conveniently around for breaking my landing. :P

I think it is just a misunderstood attempt to roundaboutly, but more succinctly, saying "this thread is probably as upsetting as your screen name -

which may be misconstrued as an offensive and disrespectful, but it is actually not."

...I think. It is a big leap in logic.

Either way, I don't think people here are doing this to make fun of, and gloat over, less informed people to feel good about themselves for being more "intelligent". This is not "complacency of the learned" (bonus point for those who get the reference, even more points if done without google). They are sharing frustration about lack of what should be considered common knowledge that anyone could learn through general education. By

sharing stories of what is missing in the knowledge of the mass, we too, learned something. More specifically, we can see how we can help others to educate themselves, and the first step to do that is knowing what they do not know yet, and then we can figure out how we can help them learn.

The space quiz that came out from this thread is quite a nice example of that - it is an easily approachable quiz of small trivia, and it educate people about small, but interesting things. Kind of like KSP. Instead of throwing a book at people and tell them to learn everything, we can start with smaller things, like misconceptions.

And again...that is just my thinking, and I am doing leaps of faith over logic cliffs now. Hope there are bales of hay conveniently around for breaking my landing. :P

Well.. I guess you're right.

Sorry, but i start to think that the big bang theory is too stupid. What was before Big Bang and before the other moment called before big bang.

Also, i think, when we will advance technologically, we should find a response for the beginning of the universe. Also, in physics and mathematics, we still don't have enough knoweledge, we are at the beginning, still at the beginning. But Big Bang, really, that is why so stupid, we think toooooooo banalll.

I don't think that even the aliens did not found the answer... We cannot go back in time. I started thinking even the time dosen't exist. If the 'time'ever existed, there would be many distorts. And no one is sure abaout this. Even me. But it is stupid enough to write in this thread