What's the stupidest space-related thing you've ever heard someone say?

SlabGizor117

Well, this thread has just become a clear example of how the KSP community is getting worse. No offense.

Pfft, what are you talking about? We're just more smarterer than the rest of the world. All hail KSP community! We are superior!!!

And then we develop ballistic missiles and you know

Presentation about Voyager 1, showing some images the probe took of the moons of Saturn. Of course, while explaining what you see on the surface of each one etc. Then, a girl from the first bench asked: "But I thought there is just one moon?!"

The same girl also said in physics class, after the teacher explained that, for example Pluto, has a much lower velocity on its path around the sun than earth: "Didn't pluto fall down or something?" (Referring to the "pluto is no planet anymore"-thing)

Oh lord -.-

Years ago I was running public night at the campus observatory and a guy was trying to show his girlfriend where to look and said it was to the right of the 3 stars that make a triangle. When that didn't help her I said it was not a problem because any 3 stars make a triangle unless they manage to find 3 in a line.

I'm actively involved in trying to educate the public about space, and that means that I hear a lot of ignorant comments.

This endeavor has also taught me, however, that ignorant should not be categorized as stupid. There isn't much reason the public has to be educated about space. They're more concerned with mastering their day-to-day lives; curiosity is a luxury, and while I think everyone could do with a little awe, it's understandable why some people simply wouldn't put in the effort when they can't perceive any reward to it.

The stupid ones are the ones who should be expected to know something, but don't. For example, I remember seeing CNN coverage of a Shuttle launch a long time ago where the anchor was explaining various contingencies if the launch did not go as planned, and explained to the viewers that if one particular set of circumstances came to pass, they would "remove the fuel from the external tank and the solid rocket boosters".

Remove the fuel from the boosters? With what? Shovels? Giant corkscrews?

Well, this thread has just become a clear example of how the KSP community is getting worse. No offense.

While I'm in agreement that we need maintain respect for all people (see #4 below), I want to make a few points in defense of this thread:

1) We are sharing humorous anecdotes while simultaneously relating to one another our shared concern about the state of modern education. Examples of the failure of said education systems are inherently sad and potentially hilarious. There's nothing wrong with sharing these responses on a forum of like-minded people.

2) There is no bullying involved whatsoever. We are anonymous Kerbals on an internet forum and the people being discussed are in no way being harassed.

3) We did not put the words into the mouths of the people who said them. Whether borne from ignorance or stubbornness, there are consequences for speaking lies or misinformation. I believe EVERYONE should expect ridicule if their actions deserve it or they are maintaining a contrary argument. (Including me, bring it! :sticktongue: )

4) Despite what I say above, I, and it seems most in this thread, wouldn't rub mistakes into the faces of the people making them. Calmly explaining and correcting is a more mature response, and we all seem to maintain that knowing and teaching the truth is the priority, with laughing about misconceptions coming second. Sometimes attacks on people's intelligence are made (hey, we're human here, after all), but I think the majority opinion here is that misinformation is the enemy and not people.

In summary (TL/DR), I believe this thread is harmless and I feel that the community continues to prove it's maturity because, even in a thread about "how stupid people outside of it are", members can be found elaborating how they tried to improve things and discussing the root causes of "stupidity" rather than just bashing people. Although some bashing does happen, because it is funny and we can't all be high-brows all the time.

I'm actively involved in trying to educate the public about space, and that means that I hear a lot of ignorant comments.

This endeavor has also taught me, however, that ignorant should not be categorized as stupid. There isn't much reason the public has to be educated about space. They're more concerned with mastering their day-to-day lives; curiosity is a luxury, and while I think everyone could do with a little awe, it's understandable why some people simply wouldn't put in the effort when they can't perceive any reward to it.

The stupid ones are the ones who should be expected to know something, but don't. For example, I remember seeing CNN coverage of a Shuttle launch a long time ago where the anchor was explaining various contingencies if the launch did not go as planned, and explained to the viewers that if one particular set of circumstances came to pass, they would "remove the fuel from the external tank and the solid rocket boosters".

Remove the fuel from the boosters? With what? Shovels? Giant corkscrews?

Well said. Being ignorant about something doesn't make someone stupid. Being willfully ignorant, and refusing to learn or listen, is stupid.

I have actually heard someone say that the Earth is hanging or "suspended" in space...:huh:

It is. By gravity... just because reference frames or language changes, does not make the statement incorrect.

If they said it's "suspended on [something not right]" that is different. It can "hang on nothing" or "hang on the forces holding it".

(cititation: http://www.howitworksdaily.com/how-does-our-solar-system-stay-suspended-in-space/ and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/suspended?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic )

Which is another way of looking at the topic. Sometimes our misunderstandings are only in language... we need to work really hard on understanding each other. :)

Please let's stop the back and forth bickering going on in this thread.

I for one haven't heard many Stupid things being said; i have however heard some ignorant things said. I myself once held many of those ignorant thoughts and i am glad KSP has educated me in many of the topics involving Space.

Edit: Aaaand Vanamonde already posted in this thread. I guess that's what i get for tryging to moderate from my work's bathroom on a mobile... thanks Obama!

From a CNN article this morning regarding the ISS. . .

"The station orbits about 250 miles above the Earth. That's not too far if you drive it on land. But it's far enough above the planet to when you go straight up, you nearly run out of gravity."

From a CNN article this morning regarding the ISS. . .

"The station orbits about 250 miles above the Earth. That's not too far if you drive it on land. But it's far enough above the planet to when you go straight up, you nearly run out of gravity."

Here's the article, if anyone wants to read it: Click Me!

In context, it seems more like they just didn't want to explain the concept of microgravity in free fall in an article about Scott Kelly. It's still a "lie to children" (but to adults), and it's still really bad, but it seems more like intentional misinformation rather than straight up ignorance.

Not strictly space related, but might be funny from an energy engineering perspective. My GRE argument essay question from a few years ago was basically inviting you to agree or disagree with the logic of a politician arguing against constructing a solar power facility, basically centered around "it won't work at night".

Cue an angry rant about the concept of load balancing and how that might relate to the electrical grid (I part-timed in facilities management through college and got pretty familiar with electrical work). Also living proof that you can call a GRE essay strawman a "........, because no one could possibly be that stupid without suffering brain death" and still get that perfect essay score.