Post your avatars!

Finally drew an avatar today, my avatar is pretty literal, the Blue Saturnian skies (Did you know that Saturn's skies are very much like Earth, but there is a ocher haze below?). I drew it in Autodesk SketchBookExpress (Yes OP, we have very similar software) with my wacom tablet, which I haven't been using recently. I also have the Delta 2, my favorite rocket in the center, and some moons and yes, space probes. I looked and kind copied it a few pictures. Kind of a quickly done drawing, but I thought it would be good practice to get back to the drawing tablet.NnYaaS4.png

Edited by SaturnianBlue
More explanation!

I use sketchbook too. Awesome program that let you concentrate on drawing rather than learning to handle a software. The interface is simply awesome.

Mischief f.e. is a relatively new painting software worth mentioning too. It uses vectors instead of pixels, allowing an infinite canvas, almost infinite zoom and detail and the option to choose picture size and resolution when exporting to a bitmap format. Definitely worth taking a look.

"X-Wing" Rotary Rocket.

I'll just toss the whole imgur album here because it's hard to understand how the ship works unless you're familiar with similar concepts that never flew.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's a cross between the Roton Rotary Rocket and the original "thrust wing" Triebfluegeljager of .... Germany, a VTOL tail-sitter interceptor design with ramjet powered rotor/wings that probably was designed out of desperate housewifery or something equally desperate.

Tip-jet powered rotors actually work in reality - Hiller Helicopters had a few tip jet helicopters, while the Roton "Rotary Rocket" famously did go on some hover test flights and was famously regarded as the most difficult / dangerous aircraft ever. Test pilots rated it 10 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being completely docile and 10 being some infernal contraption that will probably murder everyone in sight given the opportunity.

The "Rotary Rocket" flew successfully as an SSTO in everyones favorite 'realistic aerodynamics' mod FAR, in KSP 0.90.

941954KSPeye01.jpg

you asked.

-----

Mystery revealed, this is the picture it was cropped from.

464145KSPeye01mysteryrevealed.jpg

Now everyone knows whose eye it is.

Surely everyone recognized â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘ taking a selfie.

My avatar is one of my favorite phenomena from the wonderful universe of Space Engine.

PIYpUnH.jpg

The object in the center is a white dwarf. The red ring is due to gravitational lensing of light from a red dwarf that is directly behind the white dwarf.

Also, you may notice that my avatar is GIF of this scene to show the solar winds of the white dwarf. Unfortunately, I had to heavily compress it to be less than 20 Kb for the Forum to accept it...

Here it is without any compression:

Z91Ggt9.gif

I made the username without too much thought, really: I think I wanted "Buzzter" and couldn't get that so I just added-K-to-every-word and there it was. Of course Kuzzter sounds a little bit like the name of a certain American cavalryman, so eventually I shopped this image together in my preferred artistic medium, Powerpoint:

QcoBxHN.png

Not sure what the source is for the Kerbal, got the hat from a website selling re-enactor replicas.

Wow, your avatars are all awesome! Very well-thought of.

Also, I'm happy that I'm not the only one using sketchbook :) Easy to learn.

Can I get my old thread merged with this thread?

Sure :) I made it for that purpose as well.

Mine's kinda low-quality because I wanted the animation. Obviously, it's one of the ground crew flailing around with his tools.

I really wish I could have this as my avatar instead:

nGtSpJF.gif

Sadly, it is too big in file size and dimensions.

(Yes, I like making KSP gifs. XD)

Mine's kinda low-quality because I wanted the animation. Obviously, it's one of the ground crew flailing around with his tools.

I really wish I could have this as my avatar instead:

http://i.imgur.com/nGtSpJF.gif

Sadly, it is too big in file size and dimensions.

(Yes, I like making KSP gifs. XD)

Here you go :

504615XacktarAvatar64x64PX19KB.gif

64x64 pixels, 19,2 kb. The solution to decrease the weight of the .gif, beside resizing the picture, was to drastically reduce its color palette. So it's a bit grainy, but I didn't want to remove images for extra lightness.

and Profile Picture version

343083XacktarProfile100x100PX63KB.gif

100x100 pixels, 63kb.

Cheers !

Edited by Plume & Akakak

• 3 months later...

Well, I might as well revive this thread, as I finally updated my avatar to the newest version of KSP.

0E99gi0.jpg

There is the full version, though for use on these forums I'll be using an even more cropped version of it. Now it is time to get working on my dang signature (can anyone teach me how to do fancy stuff with text in GIMP?).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.