Official 1.0 MEGA Hype Thread!

kenbobo

We'd need three heatshields if we wanted to head for a Laythe mission

This is why level-5 engineers should be able to repair heatshields!

After years of training, Bill Kerman is ready to embark on a journey to Laythe. His skills will truly be put to the test, as the ship only has one heatshield to protect itself from the flames of re-entry... and Bill is their only hope... :P

I meant use it ALONG with aerobraking.

While the shields are great for actual landers, I'm still wondering about larger ships like this one, how will we deal with heatshielding for those?

screenshot116_zps9e494hza.png

Edited by smjjames

I meant use it ALONG with aerobraking.

While the shields are great for actual landers, I'm still wondering about larger ships like this one, how will we deal with heatshielding for those?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot116_zps9e494hza.png

With functional aerodynamics, I assume that rockets will, for the most part, descend nose-down, and not sideways. Probably only the part leading the rocket experiences significant reentry heat.

Haha, looking at that thing re-enter, it SHOULD burn up! :P

How do you guys do stuff like that with the deadly reentry mod then? :P That's my point.

Thing is that the rockets don't usually stay going in a straight line, they tend to bounce around unless you have a strong SAS or are spin stabilizing your rocket.

Also, that rocket is going nose down (or forward as it were), it just bounces up and down when it hits the airflow. I don't have a strong SAS for that rocket anyway.

Oh, and as for going nose first, I've had rockets want to re-enter engine-first. Not sure how much of that is due to weight or due to aerodynamics as I'm using FAR.

Edited by smjjames

Indeed, even though it looks like the rocket is getting significant heat on the side facing downwards, it is still striking the direction of airflow from a slight angle so it should be quite a bit cooler than the nose.

Edited by Rthsom

So remind me of the pattern of the special youtube guys getting their hands on it, since the countdown has begun will we be seeing some gameplay videos this week? I am really curious to see how the resource mining and other changes have been implemented. Hype train needs more space coal.

So remind me of the pattern of the special youtube guys getting their hands on it, since the countdown has begun will we be seeing some gameplay videos this week? I am really curious to see how the resource mining and other changes have been implemented. Hype train needs more space coal.

Vids will probably be released 1-2-3 days before release.