[0.90] KerbalFeels 0.1.0 beta-release - Plugin for Inter-kerbal relationships (4/3/2015)

wpatter6

Be careful with adding such parts to your idea. The problem is that if the brain-scanner or any other part has be capacity to solve all the social problems on the ship, then your mod just gets reduced to a "add this part to win" mod. This is the problem with some of the life support mod stuff - you just need to add more parts to you ship to make the new gameplay feature go away - so all you end up with is a heaver spacecraft and a bigger rocket.

This is a good point. Maybe you could attach the scanner functionality to an existing stock part instead (with a MM patch), and if you want to distinguish it visually then a model could be welded to the parts you want instead of adding it as separate part. TBH The more I think about it the less attractive the idea of a visual representation of any kind seems to me. KSP sort of infected us with the meme that all functional parts have to be external (batteries for example.. why?!). It's really absurd IMO.

I would just make the hitchhiker into a sort of medical bay (with a "scanner" and a place for therapy, etc), and be done with it.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

This is a good point. Maybe you could attach the scanner functionality to an existing stock part instead (with a MM patch), and if you want to distinguish it visually then a model could be welded to the parts you want instead of adding it as separate part. TBH The more I think about it the less attractive the idea of a visual representation of any kind seems to me. KSP sort of infected us with the meme that all functional parts have to be external (batteries for example.. why?!). It's really absurd IMO.

I would just make the hitchhiker into a sort of medical bay (with a "scanner" and a place for therapy, etc), and be done with it.

Can I suggest an alternative approach?

Have an assigned "Psychologist" class of Kerbal that can do all the work of this brainscanner if s/he is in a crew. Probably needs a bit more coding, but makes a lot more sense in the long run (i.e., I won't have to outfit my S2-based spaceship with a 2.5m hitchhiker pod).

Also can location somehow affect kerbals' relationships with each other, like for example: being in orbit around Eve makes Kerbals more likely to be in love with each other, since one planet could be named after a certain Kerbal god, like how Venus is named after the Greek/Roman god of Beauty/love.

- - - Updated - - -

Could MechJeb (if installed on the ship) also have this implemented, mainly the murder part, for some HAL 9000 moments.

And yes, the result of murders are determined by the other kerbals on the ship and their feelings towards the victim and the attacker. Probably not the most just system of law, but it does have some fairly funny results.

I just had a thought! (scary, I know)

Instead of outright murder, they SPACE the victim! Literally he gets removed from the ship and spawned outside. Now Kerbin / Mun / Kerbol / Duna has a new satellite...

I just had a thought! (scary, I know)

Instead of outright murder, they SPACE the victim! Literally he gets removed from the ship and spawned outside. Now Kerbin / Mun / Kerbol / Duna has a new satellite...

What would stop the player from taking control of the kerbal and craft and get the kerbal back in?

I haven't had a chance to play with this yet, but it looks fascinating. I've been thinking about this sort of thing a bit, and I hope you don't mind if I make some comments.

With the addition of RP elements (level based class system) in 0.90, it's now possible to do bad things to kerbals without killing them, by giving them a (temporary?) penalty to their level. As Sanity degrades, it might be possible to make a L2 Engineer act like a L1 Engineer, and so on down, possibly to the point where the kerbal goes below L0 and has no skills whatsoever.

Extra living space might mitigate against sanity loss. Suppose a ship had a whole Hitchhiker cabin for each kerbal; certainly that would be a more comfortable arrangement than three guys going to Eeloo in a 1-2. In reality you'd likely want a small sleeping chamber with shared entertainment facilities to encourage them to hang out together; but I don't see a problem in assuming that.

Exciting events should increase Sanity, you've got that with landings and flybys. However, I'd suggest adding "Broadcasting Science home." Ultimately, that's what the missions are all about.

I'm not sure how to simulate things like calls from home, making music videos, taking questions from schoolkids, all of which increase morale... maybe base it on the electric charge used to run the antenna? A way to trade electricity for sanity, up to a certain point?

A larger crew should be a help. Adding Shannon Lucid to Mir seemed to provide much-needed relief to a stressful situation. Possibly add crew transfers or visits to sanity-increasing events.

I tend to agree that murder is a good "worst possible" event, but it should be very difficult to get there, and I'd suggest making it a controllable parameter.

I wonder if this sort of idea could be implemented in a modular / configurable way, so that it is possible to define extra feelings / relationship attributes, events that affect these and consequences for various scenarios. That way it is only necessary to provide the framework, and then folks could provide a set of functionality that relates to relationships, someone else a pack on psychology, and someone else provide functionality related to chain of command or rank type stuff. I imagine it a bit like the contract configurator that enables various contract packs to be added.

I imagine that there are several different camps around what direction this stuff could be taken in. It would be nice to provide a way of satisfying all possibilities. I have obviously not thought this all through much - I am just shooting out ideas.

I wonder if this sort of idea could be implemented in a modular / configurable way, so that it is possible to define extra feelings / relationship attributes, events that affect these and consequences for various scenarios. That way it is only necessary to provide the framework, and then folks could provide a set of functionality that relates to relationships, someone else a pack on psychology, and someone else provide functionality related to chain of command or rank type stuff. I imagine it a bit like the contract configurator that enables various contract packs to be added.

I imagine that there are several different camps around what direction this stuff could be taken in. It would be nice to provide a way of satisfying all possibilities. I have obviously not thought this all through much - I am just shooting out ideas.

Yeah I think from what I've been reading this is probably the way to go. My free time has been lacking lately but I think I'm going to focus my efforts on reworking some of the core functionality to make it more reusable and accessible for people to work with. That way, I can create my own version of the "final" product but also give people the ability to make changes or additions relatively easily to suit their play style or idea of how it should work. More to come (when I get time)

• 1 month later...
Does this mod still work in 1.0.2? Would love to try it!

I haven't added this into my 1.0.2 install yet, despite loving this mod. I'll give it a go to see how it works :D

EDIT: A question, is there a way to stop Kerbals from going insane and killing each other when they're travelling long distances? I had a manned trip to Duna in 0.90 that ended in disaster because they ended up hating each other and murdered each other and there was nothing I could do about it.

Edited by yorshee

... A question, is there a way to stop Kerbals from going insane and killing each other when they're travelling long distances? I had a manned trip to Duna in 0.90 that ended in disaster because they ended up hating each other and murdered each other and there was nothing I could do about it.

Well it sounds like this mod provided a pretty realistic simulation of a journey to Duna in a tiny tin can!

I turn my back for 5 minutes and you people go and make dwarf fortress style emotions and relationships in KSP.

Good show.

hahaha

this mod is crazy.... i love it! screw 3 kerbals in a ship at once, i'm gonna see how much time it will take for a small colony to murder itself out of the cosmos :)

This sounds really cool, definitely going to keep an eye on it. A question: Is there any way to tell which Kerbals will get along well together, and which will end up hating eachother? Or do you pretty much have to have ground tests, leaving Kerbals cooped up together to see what happens. And a suggestion: Make it so sanity drain is slower the more empty seats you have on your ship.

• 1 month later...
I haven't added this into my 1.0.2 install yet, despite loving this mod. I'll give it a go to see how it works :D

EDIT: A question, is there a way to stop Kerbals from going insane and killing each other when they're travelling long distances? I had a manned trip to Duna in 0.90 that ended in disaster because they ended up hating each other and murdered each other and there was nothing I could do about it.

Well? Does it?

• 6 months later...
  • 7 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.