[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

2 hours ago, Rodger said:

Still having the weird halo stuff with v0.022:

http://i.imgur.com/ujMsI5o.jpg

Running Mac 64bit, OpenGL. And don't know if they'll help, but here's both logs from the KSP instance that screenshot is from:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shhjl45ref3gieh/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/irckqgef2dywbja/Player.log?dl=0

Was this gone in last version or not?

11 hours ago, blackrack said:

I think it should work though I never tried. Any reason you'd rather use the tone mapper instead of scatterer?

Well I couldn't see a difference after installing it on 1.0.5.

Yes, still to do with ram usage, as I use a lot of mods!

KSP 1.0.5 seems much worse for me than 1.0.4, there seems to be some major leak where each scene switch adds 100+mb, but no odd exceptions in output_log. Read this in more cases after 1.0.5 was released, was on of the reasons I stayed with 1.0.4.

I've been following this mod for quite a while, but never really had a version that worked extremely well. This one does; all the outstanding issues that I was having are basically gone.

I was very happy to see you included the option to kill the ocean shaders (I've been having some performance problems with it, as well as serious rendering issues) but when I first fired it up I figured I'd see how it was, and not only did I no longer have ocean artifacts, but it seems performance is much improved as well.

I've seen blackrack's scatterers, and they are spectacular! :D

Thank you very much blackrack, this looks incredible. Squad should be talking to you about making this stock. IMHO.

Blackrack might I suggest offering a secondary download location like Github? Kerbal Stuff seems to be having a lot of issues lately and is either throwing errors or taking ages to load. Might help some people that are running into the issues with the site :D 

Just now, Nhawks17 said:

Blackrack might I suggest offering a secondary download location like Github? Kerbal Stuff seems to be having a lot of issues lately and is either throwing errors or taking ages to load. Might help some people that are running into the issues with the site :D 

Will mega be fine? Tbh I liked that kerbalstuff keeps track of downloads :P

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

I've been following this mod for quite a while, but never really had a version that worked extremely well. This one does; all the outstanding issues that I was having are basically gone.

I was very happy to see you included the option to kill the ocean shaders (I've been having some performance problems with it, as well as serious rendering issues) but when I first fired it up I figured I'd see how it was, and not only did I no longer have ocean artifacts, but it seems performance is much improved as well.

I've seen blackrack's scatterers, and they are spectacular! :D

Thank you very much blackrack, this looks incredible. Squad should be talking to you about making this stock. IMHO.

Thanks, I tried to provide a version as stable as possible before I go back to experimenting with new features that will (inevitably) cause more issues.

3 hours ago, Rodger said:

It was happening with 0.02182 as well: http://i.imgur.com/RLAg0ko.jpg

Alright, I'll check it out. Check back in a bit and I might have an updated shader.

4 hours ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

I don't know if it's my computer or what, but in my game on dx9 and with 0.022 the image gets kinda layered
Previous version has this effect too, but much less noticeable and I never really noticed it until now.

Are you talking about that line? If so, that has always been there. There's a fix for it in Proland but I couldn't get it working. Now that I think about it I'll give it another try.

Hey, I have discovered one slight issue. It seems to mess with the z-ordering of the aero effects.

Here's an imgur link to show you what I'm talking about. I did a night launch and intentionally ran it low so you could get a good look.

CbNukoK.png

I tried it with and without ocean shader, didn't make any difference.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Edited by stratvox
fixed image link

2 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Hey, I have discovered one slight issue. It seems to mess with the z-ordering of the aero effects.

Here's an imgur link to show you what I'm talking about. I did a night launch and intentionally ran it low so you could get a good look.

CbNukoK.png

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

I strangely like the look of that a lot better than how it should look....

12 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Thank you :D 

Here you go: https://mega.nz/#!fIxykRaA!J_aiIDW5xAxSE10_ACKBX41DE0_wJlH1Dxi7I1S9s18

7 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Yes indeed, this was discovered since last version. No fix for now.

Edited by blackrack

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Alright, I have no desire to fiddle with the github API right now :P I'm uploading to mega, I'll post the link shortly.

Do you have to install the companion app to use mega, and is it at all janky, or is it pretty safe to use? I'd definitely prefer GitHub over Mega, but I'll use whatever site you feel comfortable hosting from for the time being. You could probably ask one of the GitHub experts around here about how to host releases and beta versions. 

If it hasn't been said in a while, thanks for the continued awesome work you're doing. Thanks for putting up with a lot of the silliness that often comes up in this topic. :)

3 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Do you have to install the companion app to use mega, and is it at all janky, or is it pretty safe to use? I'd definitely prefer GitHub over Mega, but I'll use whatever site you feel comfortable hosting from for the time being. You could probably ask one of the GitHub experts around here about how to host releases and beta versions. 

If it hasn't been said in a while, thanks for the continued awesome work you're doing. Thanks for putting up with a lot of the silliness that often comes up in this topic. :)

You can download through your browser, it's the button on the right, no shady companion stuff. It's safe and fast (helps with my slow internet).

Edited by blackrack

1 minute ago, curtquarquesso said:

You don't have to download the app, you can just click the 'Download through Browser' option and the file will download like any other hosting site.

29 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Will mega be fine? Tbh I liked that kerbalstuff keeps track of downloads :P

So do I, but I wouldn't take those numbers too seriously. Kerbal Stuff frequently shows download numbers for long out of date versions that can sometimes surpass the current version (and sometimes still has mysterious download spikes for no reason; Portrait Stats had one a few weeks ago).

20 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Alright, I have no desire to fiddle with the github API right now :P I'm uploading to mega, I'll post the link shortly.

If you want to get Github download numbers without too much fiddling you can just grab all of the data in a big blob of text online, just replace your username and repo name. Why they can't just provide a simple download number is a mystery, but you can find the value by looking down about 30 lines to the "download_count" value.

19 minutes ago, DMagic said:

So do I, but I wouldn't take those numbers too seriously. Kerbal Stuff frequently shows download numbers for long out of date versions that can sometimes surpass the current version (and sometimes still has mysterious download spikes for no reason; Portrait Stats had one a few weeks ago).

If you want to get Github download numbers without too much fiddling you can just grab all of the data in a big blob of text online, just replace your username and repo name. Why they can't just provide a simple download number is a mystery, but you can find the value by looking down about 30 lines to the "download_count" value.

Alright, guess I'll provide links on github soon.

4 hours ago, Rodger said:

It was happening with 0.02182 as well: http://i.imgur.com/RLAg0ko.jpg

Try this file and report back: https://mega.nz/#!qEhECLYB!7lW3Uy1-HVzMz0Xf6RjHpQ9v46wvh4fBy3qIl8xEd2s

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

Are you talking about that line? If so, that has always been there. There's a fix for it in Proland but I couldn't get it working. Now that I think about it I'll give it another try.

That line near the ground, which has indeed been there, and another one going across mountains - I think it wasn't there before, or at least it wasn't that intrusive.

On 23.1.2016 at 1:10 PM, blackrack said:

Don't know about the black lines around KSC though.

I think it's EVE, it does this at least on OpenGL. This is related to Unity depth buffer precision being too low on OpenGL, requiring a workaround to avoid z-fighting. The workaround causes the black border around KSC.

rbray mentioned something about this in November in his EVE thread. Can't find the original post now, but see e.g. [1] [2] [3]. (Relevant search terms: opengl, black, z fighting, offset)

1 hour ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

That line near the ground, which has indeed been there, and another one going across mountains - I think it wasn't there before, or at least it wasn't that intrusive.

Yeah across the mountains, that's the one I was talking about. It may have been masked by lower alpha or higher depth values before, I know I lowered the depth values a bit in this release.

Edited by blackrack