[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

16 minutes ago, blackrack said:

with the eclipse shaders you showed the other time, as I remember your approach can also project shadows on terrain. I'm using this https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLSL_Programming/Unity/Soft_Shadows_of_Spheres and it's pretty simple, fast and pretty enough. I'm thinking I could do terrain shadows with a multiplicative shader like the extinction one but it would also apply over everything, lights etc so it's pretty limited. I was wondering if you got your approach working on terrain.

I haven't touched it since DTL became a thing, and trying to get custom cubemaps working. I have an algorithm that I was planning on testing that should also be fast... 

What you have looks great though so far!

18 minutes ago, Proot said:

About the "realism debate":

Make no mistake, the earth haven't an "concrete aspect". What we imagine as the reality is more like an "overall". As a lot of other things, depends on the "espectator" and "his eyes"... is not the same a black and white photo from a satellite at high distances and with false color (no matter how good were the colored) than -as example- a regular photo taken by an astronaut, from the ISS.
For the same reason, imagine you are at EVA around earth, is not the same to get a picture of the "edges" of the planet and his atmosphere than get the photo of the earth just below you: the atmosphere scattering has an "acumulative" visual effect, so if you are seeing the horizon/edge, no matter at what height, you gonna see much more color and "fog" effect there. And at the contrary, if you look at a very "general" plane of the earth, or in the earth plane perpendicular to you in that imaginary EVA, you'll see a "clear" earth with a barely visible coloration/fog-effect coming from the atmosphere scattering.
So, IMHO, there is no solution until we can get a barely decent HDR in KSP, which could cover an enhancement of all those small changes of "perception".

Meanwhile, we must settle a concrete look and, @blackrack, humbly I vote in favour of that last kerbin look. Anyways, you have done all configurable here, so the look in the main release of scatterer shouldn't be too debateable, right? lol

Yeah I see what you mean, this effect is simulated in Proland and is something I am shooting for

http://proland.imag.fr/gallery/terrains/image204.png

http://proland.imag.fr/gallery/edition/image390.png

However I can't really achieve it unless I can also modify the orginal terrain shaders to alter the lighting and build both the scattering and a HDR effect directly in them. The depth and extinction settings I have now don't really compare. The effect is still more or less just an overlay in the end.

17 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

I haven't touched it since DTL became a thing, and trying to get custom cubemaps working. I have an algorithm that I was planning on testing that should also be fast... 

What you have looks great though so far!

Alright.

15 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

When light goes through the atmosphere near the edge of a sphere it travels much further than from directly in front, this gives more chance for the light to scatter so the edges should show more scatter.

Ah, I thought you were talking about the eclipses.

Edited by blackrack

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

I actually like the look of it a lot, this  reminds me to implement some hue and saturation settings to easily change the overall look and feel of the atmo.

Alright, I will give it a try later on though.

If you do this can you make it optionally selwct the values rand omly from a range, upon loading an instance of scatterer or something. To give a slightly different feel to the weather each day.

Edited by Errol

@Proot @blackrack I strongly suggest to watch the live stream that is going on from ISS right now. They are performing the HD Earth Viewing Experiment that takes aim to perfect broadcasting from space.

In this stream we can see what Proot said earlier about viewing angles relative to the sun's position is true regarding high vs low levels of light scattering. However, as a photographer I can tell that what the eye sees and what the camera picks up are two very different things. That is why we use UV-filters and polarization filters. And not least: HDR or multishots to compensate for the camera's rather poor ability to pick up dynamic light. (cameras over- and underexpose terribly compared to one's eyes)

In KSP I like to think as "being there in person", not seeing through a camera. This makes me appreciate more the lower level scattering.

Here is the ISS stream btw: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload

Edited by SkyKaptn

10 minutes ago, StarStryder said:

I'm having an issue with the ocean effects:

A couple of the "known issues" looked like they might relate but I wasn't sure.  

What OS Windows, OSX, Linux

What KSP are you running, 32bit, 64bit Workaround, 64bit Linux

What Graphics Environment Directx 9, 11, or OpenGL

Most importantly, did you get the latest 0.22 version that has the fix for that issue?

Sorry, basic details.  :rolleyes:

Linux, 64 bit, Cinnamon, OpenGL

server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 352.63
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.63
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA

I installed via CKAN. Version is listed as 1:0.02182.

23 minutes ago, StarStryder said:

Sorry, basic details.  :rolleyes:

Linux, 64 bit, Cinnamon, OpenGL

server glx version string: 1.4

client glx version string: 1.4

GLX version: 1.4

OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 352.63

OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.63

OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA

I installed via CKAN. Version is listed as 1:0.02182.

That's the prior version, I don't think @blackrack does the CKAn integration, it may be automatic through Kerbalstuff I am not sure, anyway check the first post their is a newer version that fixes that, it did for me on Ubuntu 15.10 with the same drivers

Still getting these weird visual artifacts on ocean even with the latest update

ecBR1lB.png

Windows 10 64-bit

KSP 1.0.5 64-bit workaround (I know that 64-bit version on windows doesn't get support)

DX9

Using KSP Stock Visual Enchantments Ultra Resolution

27 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

Still getting these weird visual artifacts on ocean even with the latest update

Windows 10 64-bit

KSP 1.0.5 64-bit workaround (I know that 64-bit version on windows doesn't get support)

DX9

Using KSP Stock Visual Enchantments Ultra Resolution

Is this downloaded through CKAN or from kerbalstuff? Try forcing dx11 or opengl and see if it makes a difference.

Also, try without any other mods to be sure.

Edited by blackrack

59 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

@blackrack Ok, Dx11 fixed it but there is now a black border on horizon, In Dx9 you can see the artifact all the way until 130km

-EDIT-

I'm switching back to Dx9 because EVE has no clouds over oceans, only on land in Dx11

See if disabling postprocessing kills the artifacts. It's the button on the bottom section of the UI(alt-f10)

Edited by blackrack

10 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

That's the prior version, I don't think @blackrack does the CKAn integration, it may be automatic through Kerbalstuff I am not sure, anyway check the first post their is a newer version that fixes that, it did for me on Ubuntu 15.10 with the same drivers

@blackrackhttps://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/3001

Looks like the CKAN version number parsing might be a little simplistic.  

Edited by StarStryder

8 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

@blackrack It's okay. Awesome mod btw. Would you like for me to send you my KSP.log if it helps you?

The problem is, there isn't anything in the log files that would help in the case of shader artifacts. It isn't an "error" per se.

If I can figure it out I'll get it fixed though so stick around.