[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

This is totally possible, but I never really fiddled with EVE's settings. I guess I could just fade the haze out after a certain altitude. What does EVE's haze look like from orbit anyway?

Basically it makes the planet glow with a more 'sky-blue' hint to it than stock. If I remember right Proots renaissance pack has good pictures of the effect. Or at least it did. The config files for EVE atmospheres are simple enough. I actually had pretty good luck editing them myself! Would it actually be that simple to make the haze fade out? :confused: That would be super handy too as it'd mean you wouldn't need to fix scatter from orbit for every planet either. You just make it fade away!

Basically it makes the planet glow with a more 'sky-blue' hint to it than stock. If I remember right Proots renaissance pack has good pictures of the effect. Or at least it did. The config files for EVE atmospheres are simple enough. I actually had pretty good luck editing them myself! Would it actually be that simple to make the haze fade out? :confused: That would be super handy too as it'd mean you wouldn't need to fix scatter from orbit for every planet either. You just make it fade away!

I guess it could be a pretty good temporary solution, will give it a try.

Yes they're from EVE, they now show up in the sky. I haven't released it yet because it brought some other issues with the sun. I've also trimmed the memory usage from 800mb to about 200-400, there still seems to be a small memory leak somewhere though.

You sir, are incredible. If you're able to get the memory issue squared away, this will be one of the best mods to hit KSP. Kerbin has never looked so good.

I installed this mod and Planetshine last night. Was very happy with the visuals, but I quickly started having issues. Graphical artifacts that persisted across load screens. I uninstalled Scatterer and the issue went away. So, I'd love some advice for how to go about resolving the issue.

How do I get the Scatterer UI/debug menu? I couldn't figure out how to enable it.

How do I minimize my chances of getting graphical artifacts?

Thanks!

I installed this mod and Planetshine last night. Was very happy with the visuals, but I quickly started having issues. Graphical artifacts that persisted across load screens. I uninstalled Scatterer and the issue went away. So, I'd love some advice for how to go about resolving the issue.

How do I get the Scatterer UI/debug menu? I couldn't figure out how to enable it.

How do I minimize my chances of getting graphical artifacts?

Thanks!

This is not a complete mod so much as an open work in progress, which has been made available to the public in order to help track bugs and find ways of improving the code.

In some old great guys words:

Ask not what your mod can do for you, but what you can do for your mod.

Feel free to submit copies of your log files and detailed bug reports with reproduction steps, list of of installed mods, screens shots and all that sort of stuff, and perhaps the kind modder who has donated his free time can make this mod even better then it already is.

EDIT: TL: DR; To be clear, it is well known this "mod" has issues, and discussion of many UI and code improvements have already taken place, however the modder has less spare time to continue development due to RL.

Edited by Errol

Fair enough, I'm game. I see a lot of pristine screenshots so I thought the issue was on my end, but I'm willing to submit info. Guess that is done over on github?

Also I now see how to toggle the UI.

Known issues (or features not implemented yet):

Especially with OpenGL mode:

• Textures turn magenta on the loading screens
  • Black lines across the sky, especially if anisotropic filtering is on, or render quaility in the graphical settings is not set to "Fastest"

Both OpenGL, and Direct3D:

• Memory issues (theres a memory leak in the current release, blackrack is working on it) - can cause crashes
  • Sun, and planets are obscured by the effect, especially visible while emerging from the atmo
  • Moire patterns appear in med/high Kerbin orbit, the effect also flickers at certain camera angles
  • Mod settings are not saved on exit
  • The mod only works for Kerbin, but can be tweaked for other planets temporarily thru the UI
  • The mod is not yet compatible with any other atmo mod (EVE clouds compatibility is under development)
  • Black disk around the sun, and various other artifacts can happen sometimes

Wow.

And though the last lights off the black West went...

Ut3aXHk.png

...oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward springs.

AGbXYSu.png

(Actually those are both sunsets, but I thought Hopkins was pretty appropriate.)

Edited by Mr Shifty

Gah! Too hype!

Not to insult blackrack (or Squad) at all, but isn't ANY of this enough to convince Squad it's TOTALLY WORTH IT to work on these things?

Well, Squad is not a big company, and they need to concentrate their efforts on feautres that are relatively easy to implement, easy to debug, and add the most to the gameplay. Until now, they been working on features that are basically essential for the game to work, and aesthetics were on the lower end of their priority list (except for the building and part models).

Now that most of the main features are in the game, there's a chance that they start working on the graphics, but, TBH, I think the gameplay is still a bit rough around the edges (carreer mode fine tuning and expanding, more sights to see on planets, more scientific activities etc.). Also, i believe huge graphical advancements like this one can be really tedious to implement reliably, given the numerous configurations people use (settings and hardwarevise too).

This mod is EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL, so we can still hope for the best (Squads attention) anyways. :D

I got screenshots of this nice sunsetrise from the KSC:

Xv1fWdV.jpg

4OXzERW.jpg

(Should I just link those instead of including them in the post directly? They're just too glorious!)

Edited by Samapico

Yea... Wow. Lol. Ive no doubt that Squad will one day bring KSP's graphical fidelity up to these levels. The Unity5 update may take six months id wager. But in the meantime there is more pressing gameplay concerns and gaps for Squad to address in my opinion. More complete gameplay features will make for more complete mods as well. And what wonderful modifications they already are.

So much WANT!

As Motokid600 says though, upgrading the underlying engine to Unity 5 could take a considerable amount of time (or not)

Given HarvesteR's prior post on what they ran into when upgrading KSP from Unity 3 to 4 though, we can hope for smooth sailing but we should not expect it.

As Motokid600 says though, upgrading the underlying engine to Unity 5 could take a considerable amount of time (or not)

Given HarvesteR's prior post on what they ran into when upgrading KSP from Unity 3 to 4 though, we can hope for smooth sailing but we should not expect it.

Well its more than likely that they will spend quite some time with the physics upgrade to make everything nice and bug-free, and I hope they will upgrade graphics with atmo effects, and clouds at least (my wishlist is endless tho, it would be so great if we didnt need any graphical mods for the game to look decent) . Given the last one is pure developement, I expect it to take at least a month, more likely 2, even if they dont encounter any serious issues with the port. If we are lucky. I cant wait to see what they can do with all the new possibilities :). Im patient tho, Its finals month, so I dont have time to play anyways :D

Edited by Darkway

First, really impressive work, thanks and please continue!

Second, I have to admit I didn't read through the whole thread. Sorry if reported already.

Third, I only tried on Linux, and since there is some "DX11 only" warning (unsure if that's for the config tool or for scatterer itself) in the OP it may very well be OpenGL related.

I'm getting such circular "lines" which rotate with Kerbin (or Kerbin rotates under them). Very visible at night, hard to see but still there during day. (Please enlarge the pictures to see them better)

Javascript is disabled. View full album