[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

4 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

One more *very* nitpicky complaint. Telescope mods have the scatters of the SoI they're in overlaid onto the view of whichever planet they're looking at.

Post pics.

2 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

I will test tomorrow by removing the two files inside the EVE folder: Compiled-OceanBack.shader and Compiled-SphereOcean.shader

Now it is almost midnight here in Norway...

Actually I think this will fix, do it now.

32 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Actually I think this will fix, do it now.

Yep, removing those two files seemed to do the trick :) I could not reproduce the issue having tried repeatedly.

Edited by SkyKaptn

I haven't seen it suggested yet (might have missed it), but how feasible would a landscape shader be? Given that the ocean shader has a visual mesh, a landscape could work similarly?

Looks fantastic by the way, I'll have to figure out my computer not working with it. Good work!

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Actually this happens a lot to me in real life, it's not because of KSP, it's just that you learned what atmospheric scattering looks like.

Now look at this image and tell me what's the first thing that goes through your mind:

B7i9cVG.jpg

Except I've always known what atmospheric scattering looks like. I used to open KSP after installing your guys' mods and think "wow, looks like real-life". but with recent updates to all three mods (EVE, SVE, and scatterer) you guys are now making real-life even better than real-life!

Sorry for the bit of off topic-ness here, but since this is the only thread I could find where submarines were posted, could someone point me to further info?  Does the latest bouyancy system allow for it or are people using mods/engines to propel themselves deeper?

2 minutes ago, Hyomoto said:

Sorry for the bit of off topic-ness here, but since this is the only thread I could find where submarines were posted, could someone point me to further info?  Does the latest bouyancy system allow for it or are people using mods/engines to propel themselves deeper?

No amount of engines can push down a buoyant sub.  You will need dense parts, like full ore tanks.  Experiment with that, and using wings for "reverse flying."

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Now look at this image and tell me what's the first thing that goes through your mind:

There's still work left to do to make Kerbin look like that. :P

As for scattering, I often notice that. :P I've also learned basics of airplane design from KSP with FAR, and orbital mechanics. 

On topic, is that normal? The most LSD-ish looking effect I've seen in all games and during my modder times. :D It appears for a few frames under certain angles, the part is a debris from my accidental splashdown:
EiLgDhL.png

Edited by sashan

4 minutes ago, Hyomoto said:

I believe the ore containers are considered the best stock devices for sinking. This question is probably best asked in General KSP Discussion

6 minutes ago, sashan said:

There's still work left to do to make Kerbin look like that. :P

As for scattering, I often notice that. :P I've also learned basics of airplane design from KSP with FAR, and orbital mechanics. 

On topic, is that normal? The most LSD-ish looking effect I've seen in all games and during my modder times. :D It appears for a few frames under certain angles, the part is a debris from my accidental splashdown:
EiLgDhL.png

If you look at it from underwater or just at about surface level that happens. No fix for now.

15 minutes ago, blackrack said:

If you look at it from underwater or just at about surface level that happens. No fix for now.

Something similar also happens when I'm in orbit and point the camera in a certain direction. I assume its the same issue or related to the disappearing ocean issue?  

Just now, mreadshaw said:

Something similar also happens when I'm in orbit and point the camera in a certain direction. I assume its the same issue or related to the disappearing ocean issue?  

That usually happens if you're above 70 kms up, for this reason I made the ocean disable itself past that altitude (will come up with a better solution later). At which altitude did it happen to you?

You're right the ocean just completely disappears once I'm in orbit. I meant the ocean disappearing when you look down at the craft issue. But this is what I meant about certain angles. I got this at 60000m. 

I should add I'm using directx11. I'll check on 9.

EDIT: Yep happens on directx9 as well.

Done some more testing and it appears to be connected to camera view. I can get it to occur at any altitude if I'm in orbit or locked view. But never in free view or chase mode.

uvfBUux.jpg

Edited by mreadshaw

7 minutes ago, mreadshaw said:

You're right the ocean just completely disappears once I'm in orbit. I meant the ocean disappearing when you look down at the craft issue. But this is what I meant about certain angles. I got this at 60000 km. 

I should add I'm using directx11. I'll check on 9.

uvfBUux.jpg

Well yeah, this happens at high heights, my plan for later is to just disable the ocean after 30 kms up and "fake" it in the postprocessing shader. Since you can't see the waves anymore there won't be a difference. For now you can live with it or set it to disappear at a lower altitude.

You can add a line

oceanDisableAltitude = 50000

in oceanSettings.cfg

29 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Well yeah, this happens at high heights, my plan for later is to just disable the ocean after 30 kms up and "fake" it in the postprocessing shader. Since you can't see the waves anymore there won't be a difference. For now you can live with it or set it to disappear at a lower altitude.

You can add a line

oceanDisableAltitude = 50000

in oceanSettings.cfg

I didn't realize you'd responded on the next page so I was editing my post. If you missed it, I figured out it has to do with camera mode not height, I can reproduce it at any height by switching to locked mode. It seems something about locked or orbit view is the problem. Free view is fine at any height.

Good to know about the option to disable but I can live with it. it's only really an issue if the camera changes to orbit view while you're still in the atmosphere.

PS: Awesome work, its amazing what you've been able to do!

3 hours ago, DuoDex said:

On the GitHub issue tracker in a few minutes.

Hmmm. Noticed it was my TST mod. So I gave it a shot. I didn't get that effect/issue. Posted my pic on the GitHub Issue.

I see you have DOE installed in the pic. What settings?

I've put my DOE settings in the Github Issue as well.

I have applied the Ocean setting from two posts up though.

Edited by JPLRepo

31 minutes ago, mreadshaw said:

I didn't realize you'd responded on the next page so I was editing my post. If you missed it, I figured out it has to do with camera mode not height, I can reproduce it at any height by switching to locked mode. It seems something about locked or orbit view is the problem. Free view is fine at any height.

Good to know about the option to disable but I can live with it. it's only really an issue if the camera changes to orbit view while you're still in the atmosphere.

PS: Awesome work, its amazing what you've been able to do!

Very nice finding, I just reproduced this, it seems to have more to do with camera rotation and not height. Very nice.

21 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Oooh, if I'm reading right you can disable the whole darn child sphere, now. That'll be a fairly mass performance boost.

Actually you can't, me and rbray couldn't find a clean way to disable it. After a while it gets restarted somehow, starts generating garbage or it messes up with the PQS system and terrain stops generating.

Any ideas?

Edited by blackrack

Hmm, I wonder if that's what happened to me earlier.  Someone posted a few pages back about the ocean flat out disappearing, which I had happen, but the weird part was it brought my framerate to it's knees.  I had been playing, reverting and quickloading fine.  Once I recovered my craft however, it took me back to the KSC, the ocean was missing and the lag was awful.  I returned to the title screen, which ran fine, but once I loaded my game again it had the same problem.  Now it seems I have permanent black borders around the buildings in the KSC, even after a restart.  Probably a conflict, but I just pulled out Scatterer for now rather than spend a couple hours trying to isolate it.  It's completely awesome but it's in dev for a reason :D and conflicts are the be expected.  I'll just check out the pretty pictures like I have been, I've still got EVE.

Is the extinction/sky shader working on scaled space? Whatever is working in scaled space should probably be on the render queue above the clouds. What are teh render queues of everything you render?

Macro only:
Particles: "Queue"="Transparent"

Macro/scaled

Clouds: "Queue" = "Transparent"