The I <3 the ROUND-8 Challenge!

Loeny always wanted to go to space. As a scientist, he was delighted to get accepted to the KSP, but all he ever got to do was analyse surface samples brought to Kerbin by other adventurous spacefarers - who he envied.

In order to fulfill his dream of someday landing on another celestial body, he secretly started collecting leftover spare parts, surplus hardware, and sometimes parts that had failed to pass QA, but that he thought he could fix - in order to build his own spaceworthy vehicle, that could bring him to another world. He thought that he would only need one or two more years to have everything he needed.

But suddenly, it was decreed that one of his most precious parts - the golden toroidal tank - was to become outlawed very soon! He would be forever expelled from the KSP for using it! It was the only tank that he had managed to acquire in reasonable numbers, but he would need some more to go anywhere!

Or... really? Maybe just eleven of the noble toroids would be enough to get him to, say, Minmus and back?

Loeny, fearing that he might never again come this close to fulfilling his dream, decided to just take everything he had, and build the best ship he could before the silly ban on his favourite tank was to take effect.

He had no means to get a spacecraft to the launch pad - so in the evening, after everyone else had left, he just dumped all of his parts on the pad and started building. Without a break, he frantically worked through the whole night. When dawn began to light the sky above the sea, he was just barely ready to enter his machine. Wanting to leave for Minmus before his collegues would show up, he even left a pile of parts behind on the pad that he had found to be utterly useless!

Will Loeny get to fulfill his dream? Will he walk on another world? Will he get to goof around with a jetpack, and see the sights of Minmus' frozen lakes? And will just eleven magical toroids be enough to bring him back home?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My other entry was better at showing the uniqueness of the toroid. But I felt like actually completing something without hyperediting.

Congrats to Yukon0009 for managing to use a capsule, I tried that first and somehow got tired of it. I had also thought about Apollo-style rendezvous/docking, but decided to go without RCS, so I could have absolutely no propellant that was not stored in a magical toroid. Also, for no particular reason, I did not "clip" tanks into each other... with clipping I mean what the editor does per default when stacking these tanks.

That is my submission, and the reason that only r-8s could be used is because that other tanks would take up too much space.

Very nice, it's like the lander can has a brilliant golden skin that holds fuel. Putting you on the leaderboard, and you can also consider yourself a Knight of the Order!

- - - Updated - - -

[...]And will just eleven magical toroids be enough to bring him back home?

Excellent! Even better than your first entry, and i love the story.

- - - Updated - - -

That is my last entry, 10k dv :), only cheat balls are welded (with structural part inside) for reduce part count
:confused: Oh my! Please tell me you're going to Eve with that? If your "cheat balls" perform awesomely enough I think we can forgive a little welding.

- - - Updated - - -

Jeb was only allowed one more Round-8, before they were converted to use some pointless fuel that offers no thrust. But nobody said what size, so Jeb ordered the biggest Round-8 ever, and headed to orbit....
That's nuts! Not sure it's a challenge entry as it isn't THE r-8 (unless you are playing with modded capsules and aerospikes that are hilariously small?) But wonderful none the less.

Hey, take a look at these two v1.0 screenshots (posted about 5 hours ago) and tell me if you think the same thing I do...

jNFCnBN.jpg

NDFBvXW.png

Could it be? COULD! IT! BE!?!!

YES! Read it here!

EXCERPT:

The Round-8 "Lifesaver" tank... Squad were astounded at the community feedback for the change - "what are people saying? Are we making a bad call? But they also think we need a bigger xenon tank.. so por que no los dos!" The ROUND-8 will stay an LFO tank (and be re-balanced)! And Squad are adding a new large xenon tank! Hooray! (stay tuned!)

VICTORY! HUZZAH FOR THE ROUND-8, and our GLORIOUS ORDER! Por que no los dos, indeedamente?

Thanks everyone for participating in the Challenge, our work here is done! Feel free to post cool designs in perpetuity, but I will cease adjudicating when the next Developer Notes come out on Tuesday.

Edited by Kuzzter

For close 10k dv Eve Lander

That looks like a crossover of rocket technology and fine ancient asian handicraft. In other words, oooaawwwsome! Possibly the most beautiful thing that ever made an Eve ascent.

Well, apparently my mission took too long to make a difference, sorry about that, but here's a SSTL - Single Stage To(roidal) Laythe (& back) made with just Round-8s:

I couldn't have done it without the round-8s, they make excellent windshields and fuel storage.

6Pz1dlgl.png

Craft download here. If you do decide to use it, it turns out it has too much oxidizer (easy to fix) and the seat is not on straight, which I figured as the reason for messing up all my maneuvers only when I came back. So use the probe core as the control center.

Enjoy the mission photos:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by juzeris

here's a SSTL - Single Stage To(roidal) Laythe (& back) made with just Round-8s:

Talk about a close call! Brilliant maneuvers, aerobraking from Jool straight to Laythe, and I think you would never have made it back without that Tylo assist. To the top of the Layther leaderboard you go!

All right, we are still basking in the golden glow of victory and here are a few more for the leaderboard.

BoobyTrap, you go to #1 in the Kerbal Coast (Koast?) Guard category for saving Jeb from drowning (though 'drowning', like 'starving' or 'asphixyating', are not generally things Kebals worry about.)

Hon. mention to Kerdinand for making it fly. That can't be Jeb in the picture though, I have never seen that sad face on him :)

Mallock, you go to #1 in the Satellite Swarm category--congrats!

Edited by Kuzzter

Hon. mention to Kerdinand for making it fly. That can't be Jeb in the picture though, I have never seen that sad face on him :)

No, it´s ... er ... Albald. Jeb is still celebrating in front of the memorial. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.