Harv's 'Long Overdue' Feature?

Akinesis

In Harv's statement in this weeks Dev notes (which doesn't appear to have been discussed yet) he said:

"I’ve dedicated a couple of days here to implement a feature which I think has been missing for far too long from the game..."

What do we think it is?

***Original message removed due to evolution of this thread and this OP***

Message from Harv (page 18):

I'm surprised, nobody guessed it right so far!

I'm not going to spoil it though, but I'll debunk a few assumptions:

* It's not something I've been working on in the backburner (I wish I had that kind of spare time).

* It really was implemented from scratch in the span of 2 days.

And a little hint: Try to imagine it's your first time playing. Everyone's ideas are way too advanced.

Have fun!

Cheers

Suggested (sensible-ish) ideas prior to Harv's message:

- Rad Alt

- Clouds

- More KAC features

- dV readouts

- EVA strut/fuel-line placement

- Collision mesh for terrain scatter

- VAB day/night cycle

- First-person IVA for Command Seat

- Parachute re-work

- Flaps/Spoilers (this may already be a feature, though)

- Kerbals can be loaded into Command Seats from VAB

- Launch countdown

- Editable action-groups during flight

Suggestions (the most sensible IMO only) post Harv's message

- Tool tips

- KSC marker/beacon

- Keyboard map

- Images of parts when selecting test contracts

- Waypoints

- Key bindings

- Deformable terrain <--- perhaps too big of an ask, but too awesome not to put up here!

Adding the below suggestions risks the of derailing this thread as they are more of a wishlist (or just don't marry up to Harv's message), but I thought I would include them here anyway as there are some good (...and silly) suggestions...

Other suggestions (some a bit too cool to ignore!) that are unlikely due to different reasons...

- Staging edits/fixes on the launchpad are permanently saved

- Very simplified launch-window planner (Message: "Today is a good day to go to Duna")

- Descent profile in map view adjusted to compensate for any existing atmosphere (simplifed Trajectories mod)

- Custom Kerbal implemented from 'Kerbalizer' into the game

- Nav Ball 'follow me to orbit' marker

- Change colour of rocket parts

- Self Destruct (to save further damage to other craft/buildings when it's evident the launch is going wrong!)

- Rotation of craft continues during time-warp (to allow spin-stabilised craft)

- Allow players to manually choose the location of the KSC on Kerbin at Career start

- Return of the Magic Boulder. Yes, I went there.

- 'Detached' camera mode

- Antenna range

- Occlusion effects from eclipses

- Ability to time warp while engines are burning (in a more stable fashion and higher rate than previously)

- *Right Click* 'Build Sandcastle' :sticktongue:

- Stabilised GUI on spinning craft

- Kerbals 'visually' take surface sample

- Kerbal achievements

- VAB - Launchpad crawler

- 'LAUNCH!' button

- Add the Wilhelm scream when Kerbals are EVA'd and fall off <--- someone please make a mod for this!!

- Part search (down here because I'm sure this isn't two days of work...)

- Low electric charge alarm (same as above)

- Navball open in map mode (and again)

And the winner is...

New Smoke effects added to Launchpads

Edited by Akinesis

Greetings!

Yes, this also got me interested. But Graphics are Graphics, and not a feature. It has to be something gameplay-ish.

A feature that is long overdue? Maybe the first-person-view for when you are on EVA? That would be interesting.

I doubt that it is life support , since HarvesteR already said more than once he was unwilling to put it on stock game. Clouds ? Maybe. SQUAD already experimented with clouds a long long time ago , but had to drop them because they were too much resource intensive at the time ( this was in the times of the real Kraken, mind that ). It would not surprise me to see them in 1.0, TBH.

My bet? Well, there has been precious little added to only career in 1.0, and there is a conspicuous lack of a Kerbal Space Academy to train new victi ... , errr, kerbonauts in career. Maybe Harv made one? *dunno*

Maybe a stock counterpart of KAC? A friendly "you are crossing that point on you orbit" reminder?

Something that has been missing in the game and I would love it. Also something Harv would be capable of doing only by himself. No need to ask art team to draw clouds for him to implement his feature.

I guess that clouds, or life support, are too big/complex to do in "a couple of days here".

Since Harvester often emphasizes the importance of gameplay, my guess is that something that "has been missing for far too long from the game" could point to a delta-V readout, or engineering info thingy in the VAB and SPH.

As far as I understood it, this was planned to be a feature in 1.0, but AFAIK we haven't seen/heard any details about it thus far.

Clouds also sound really good to me, but I'm concerned about the memory usage when such a feature would be implemented. when running EVE, I can't run many other mods at the same time. Of course, Squad wouldn't directly implement EVE and 1.0 has some good memory optimizations.

I guess that clouds, or life support, are too big/complex to do in "a couple of days here".

Since Harvester often emphasizes the importance of gameplay, my guess is that something that "has been missing for far too long from the game" could point to a delta-V readout, or engineering info thingy in the VAB and SPH.

As far as I understood it, this was planned to be a feature in 1.0, but AFAIK we haven't seen/heard any details about it thus far.

Might be this one as well.

Also 666th post. Science is Satan spelled backwards.

The fact is and like to end this- but Clouds- just won't happen for sometime. Neither are they feasible, nor applicable in the time allotted

He would have to make them toggleable, give it a settings level, then he would have to test it and so on. In 3 days or so to PRelease he simply can't finish it in that time.

It's likely a DV system like KER provides. KAS implementation is unlikely as he would have to write the plugin- then he would have to add models, write codes for each part. Test it- and in 3 days it just won't happen.

Same for autopilot systems. Life support is possible- but it would have to be simple since adding every part and module TAC LS has would take too long- but a basic implementation using only food/water/air could work. Again though- he would have to make it not only toggleable- but modifiable so that you have more intense settings along with weaker settings.

We're looking for a suspect that:

-has to do with gameplay

-is 'missing' from the space flight experience

-one programmer can do in about two days

Thinking through the typical mission, maybe a countdown? (Press button, it counts and launches 1st stage)

It's likely a DV system like KER provides. KAS implementation is unlikely as he would have to write the plugin- then he would have to add models, write codes for each part. Test it- and in 3 days it just won't happen.

No one has mentioned KAS. But from what a few people have been suggesting now, it perhaps is more likely to be a KER thing, agreed. Still, and regardless of your wanting to end the suggestion, I'll continue to hope for clouds :sticktongue:

Maybe a stock counterpart of KAC? A friendly "you are crossing that point on you orbit" reminder?

You'll be pleased to hear that elements of KAC are already announced for 1.0 :)

Edit to reply to Kuzzter:

-has to do with gameplay

Thinking through the typical mission, maybe a countdown? (Press button, it counts and launches 1st stage)

I've got it! A 'RadAlt' system (height above ground) in addition/toggleable to the height ASL counter that is displayed in the external craft view!

Edited by Akinesis

I hope it will ring an alarm when something not focused is crossing another SOI. Couldnt find any info about that that's why I suggested it.

Greetings!

Yes, this also got me interested. But Graphics are Graphics, and not a feature. It has to be something gameplay-ish.

A feature that is long overdue? Maybe the first-person-view for when you are on EVA? That would be interesting.

I want an IVA like camera for Command-Seat crafts, and even more the ability to add kerbals to command seats in the editor.

HarvesteR said the game has needed it for a long time. That rules out a "dV remaining" display. I suspect that he STILL thinks it doesn't belong in the game.

I hope it's not first person IVAs. Or anything with IVAs unless it's "we removed IVAs to save memory for clouds." :D

I hope it will ring an alarm when something not focused is crossing another SOI. Couldnt find any info about that that's why I suggested it.

Oh, OK. Hmmm, you might be left wanting there. But who knows. I'm losing track of everything SQUAD is implementing in this update!

I want an IVA like camera for Command-Seat crafts, and even more the ability to add kerbals to command seats in the editor.

Good point about the Kerbals in Command Seats. Strange that was never done in the first place. Perhaps a loading issue that existed when the seats were first introduced?

HarvesteR said the game has needed it for a long time. That rules out a "dV remaining" display. I suspect that he STILL thinks it doesn't belong in the game.

I hope it's not first person IVAs. Or anything with IVAs unless it's "we removed IVAs to save memory for clouds." :D

Arent the IVAs already first person?

How about mapping sats?

The maps themselves have already been buried in the debug menus. All you'd need to do is put a sat in orbit with a "mapping" science sensor, and it unlocks the map for that planet.

Best,

-Slashy

No one has mentioned KAS. But from what a few people have been suggesting now, it perhaps is more likely to be a KER thing, agreed. Still, and regardless of your wanting to end the suggestion, I'll continue to hope for clouds :sticktongue:

Edit to reply to Kuzzter:

I've got it! A 'RadAlt' system (height above ground) in addition/toggleable to the height ASL counter that is displayed in the external craft view!

This seems more likely than clouds. Lack of AGL (above ground level) display has been a major issue for night landings for everybody without lights installed on their ships (I never remember to put some lights).

-has to do with gameplay

I would like contest your third assumption. Who says Harv hasn't worked on this for the past few months on the side?