Progress in trouble

Kryten

At least it wasn't already on course to rendezvous with the ISS or in other word: on a collision course.

It's not like the way to reach ISS is to shoot it into an orbit which will hit ISS at high speed, then slow down at the last second. At a point where collision is a possible scenario, the relative speed is already low.

It's not like the way to reach ISS is to shoot it into an orbit which will hit ISS at high speed, then slow down at the last second. At a point where collision is a possible scenario, the relative speed is already low.

With "on course to rendezvous" I meant close to the ISS.

If they do achieve control-which is admittedly pretty doubtful-the automatic rendezvous should work fine

Are you sure they have the resources for that? Aren't they kind of too late to do the maneuvers? They are out of the lane by so much as a boat length!

My response to the video: weeeeeee!

No thanks. I shudder the thought of something like this happening on a manned spacecraft. Especially if for whatever reason, there wasn't enough RCS to recover.

Lemme guess? In the immortal words of Miriam Ferguson "If English is good enough for Jesus Christ, its good enough for you"? ;)

N O T - S E R I O U S

LOL, worse then I checked your link and found she appeared to be an good politician. Not some airhead who get airtime because she had big boobs then then more airtime because hse had big boobs and previous airtime.

Next time it might be an Chinese probe with problems.

- - - Updated - - -

No thanks. I shudder the thought of something like this happening on a manned spacecraft. Especially if for whatever reason, there wasn't enough RCS to recover.

One benefit of manned flights is that they can take control. US program has some flights who has gone pear shaped.

LOL, worse then I checked your link and found she appeared to be an good politician. Not some airhead who get airtime because she had big boobs then then more airtime because hse had big boobs and previous airtime.

For the record (in case it wasn't obvious to anyone) I was joking around just as much as Sigma88 was. That and it seems that the quote is falsely attributed to Miriam Ferguson anyway... According to the Wiki article, the quote is first recorded some time in the 1880s, well before Miriam Ferguson was in office.

reminds me of certain "technical difficulties" I had with RemoteTech flight computer :)

------

also, the computer OS seems broken. displaying random symbols instead of words

N O T - S E R I O U S.

Well... it is a Russian spacecraft... and I would think Russians speak and write Russian.

On topic:

How many Progress launches to ISS in a year?

Well... it is a Russian spacecraft... and I would think Russians speak and write Russian.

On topic:

How many Progress launches to ISS in a year?

It's variable - current rates are a launch every 3 to 5 months.

And prior to today, all progress spacecraft have accomplished their missions except the progress M-12M in 2011 (the soyuz rocket upperstage had a malfunction for this one - so it was not a progress issue)

Now, progress use basically the same automated systems as the soyuz spacecraft - so there might be some serious verifications made before they attempt the next manned launch.

Edited by sgt_flyer

The Russians have a policy of making sure they can fly the next Progress within 45 days, in case of issues like this. It's not intended to use the same launcher, so if this is ultimately the result of a launcher issue (as seems to be the Roscosmos working hypothesis) that should be fully able to go ahead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.