Basic Fin

Renegrade

..is this new? I spotted this very cheap, very small 'basic fin' in the start node. I could have sworn there was no such thing there before in 1.0..

Anyhow, I'm grateful that it's there, in any case.

I was wondering the same thing. I play in sandbox, and I spotted it today and didn't think it had been there before. I think I would have noticed. I was using spaceplane fins before because I didn't see anything like that.

It's actually a reasonable price too. The other fins cost twice as much as an engine in a quad formation... :/

My Horrible Nerf was based around FAR (old FAR, not nuFAR obviously); one of the things I did was make basic unmovable fins a tier 1 thing...and reduced their price dramatically.

The strict temperature limitations on the part are pretty cool too - it's hugely undurable, but perfect for making really cheap things. I had those almost overheat on a suborbital tourist contract.

Could do without the yellow stripe IMO.

Really? It's so small you are going to use it like 2 times in a career and then move on to the bigger tail fins and winglets, is the yellow stripe really that bad? It actually matches the two small SRB's quite well.

The strict temperature limitations on the part are pretty cool too - it's hugely undurable, but perfect for making really cheap things. I had those almost overheat on a suborbital tourist contract.

Yep! I saw the new overheat indicators for the first time courtesy of those fins. Although KSP still has some ways to go, it seems like Squad's heading in the right-ish (with a few hiccups) direction finally.

It actually matches the two small SRB's quite well.

Yeah.. they have this yellow stripe motif going there... hehe

They are pretty much a necessity now. And I like it, its sensible for any largish early rocket you build to need something to stabilise them.

Yep! I saw the new overheat indicators for the first time courtesy of those fins. Although KSP still has some ways to go, it seems like Squad's heading in the right-ish (with a few hiccups) direction finally.
Now that having to high a TWR can quite easily destroy a launch rather than just waste fuel the next thing stock desperately needs is a TWR indicator.

It'll be a quite useful part :) and it's now the smallest triangular part in the game :) willbe veeery useful for replicas :) (and bomblets too - tried putting 4 of those on a bomblet made of oscar-B tanks, with 2 small nosecones on each end - makes for an extremely stable bomblet :P)

Edited by sgt_flyer

I love this dinky little thing, it saved my bum in my new career save! Even after the initial couple launches with the Flea and Hammer I found myself sticking them on upper stages that still traversed atmosphere to keep them stable after dropping their larger-finned boosters.

I really like the little thing, the bigger fins kept interfering with where I wanted to put my boosters and were way expensive for just chucking them off the rocket when it was time to stage. And I finally have tailfins for my little mule plane...others were just too big. And I may very well steal Wanderfound's idea too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.