Why do you never visit Dres?

John FX

I visited Dres once back in 0.23.5. Kerbal alarm clock said there was a window so why not? Modified my Duna+Ike remote tech satellite mission (2 satellites + lander per body) by basically replacing duna part with more fuel. It was the sloppiest mission ever, didn't bother checking any delta-v budgets or anything. Probably why it almost failed. Had to transfer all fuel from one satellite and half the fuel of the lander to one satellite and ditch the other to squeeze more delta-v out. So managed to get the long range communications satellite in orbit, but the lander fell 30m/s short of making a controlled landing. Lost all solar panels with basically very little electricity left. It managed to transmit half a temperature scan before dying.

The real question always was why would you visit Dres twice? And it seems with 1.0 we have a reason.

I visited Dres once back in 0.23.5. Kerbal alarm clock said there was a window so why not? Modified my Duna+Ike remote tech satellite mission (2 satellites + lander per body) by basically replacing duna part with more fuel. It was the sloppiest mission ever, didn't bother checking any delta-v budgets or anything. Probably why it almost failed. Had to transfer all fuel from one satellite and half the fuel of the lander to one satellite and ditch the other to squeeze more delta-v out. So managed to get the long range communications satellite in orbit, but the lander fell 30m/s short of making a controlled landing. Lost all solar panels with basically very little electricity left. It managed to transmit half a temperature scan before dying.

The real question always was why would you visit Dres twice? And it seems with 1.0 we have a reason.

the low gravity would make it a good gas station :)

I now visit Dres regularly as a refuelling point for Jool bound ships which no longer have the ability to make the trip themselves. It was close between it and Duna but Duna has a higher escape velocity and doesn't have orbital sources of fuel available.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On May 5, 2015 at 0:31 AM, MalfunctionM1Ke said:

Dres is smaller than Ike but its own Planet :)

Wrong, not horribly wrong, but Dres is slightly bigger than Ike.

Parameter_________________Ike_____________Dres

Mas (x10^20)_______________2.78___________3.22

Radius (km)_________________130___________138

Surface areea (x10^21 m2)___2.12___________2.39

Surface gravity (m/s2)_______1.10___________1.13

In my mind, from now and forever more, the narration in this video is the voice of Dres itself.

Dres is sad no one ever visits. I've started planning a mission, even if Dres kind of creeps me out a bit... Sounds kind of like that old monster movie actor Borris Kerman.

Edited by MalevolentNinja

My current project is:

MISSION TO DRES!

(btw I pronouce it "drez")

I built my first (in this career) interplanetay cruiser and ts just my next holmann window.  I'm sending a crew of 5, 3 landers, a roverbot (that will stay there)  labs, the whole sha-bang! 

I have no contract to go there, its a pure science mission Departure in 22 kDays.

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

Its best feature is the canyon, and maybe a few craters. Aside from that, it is (As mentioned by others before) just like the Mun and Ike, but with no nice planet to look at.

Edit: I guess you can use it as a service station on the way to more interesting destinations if you want.

So, people hate Dres. I was going to visit NEVER but I have changed my mind. So much hate for little Dres.

@Phil deCube is the only cool one here... EVEN IF he is Australian....

QUESTION: Why do Aussies drink tea out of saucers.... because us Kiwi's keep winning all their cups.... :)

But he is STILL cool. With my hip still hurting and play time limited, I have decided the least I can do NOW is to send a probe to Dres so orbit it.... it will be like I am giving it a celestial hug...

I'll do that next time I partake this adventure game. :)

Dres is awesome! If you like rovers, Dres is the place! It is like Ike, but instead of loooong smooth inclines, it's all kind of bumpy, so you bounce and rattle up and down hill. Best driving in the system, without exception. 

Dres! Dres! Dres! Visit Dres!

:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.