Show CoM/CoL In Aerodynamics Overlay

Simply as the title. I think it would be super useful to be able to see CoM/CoL while in flight, and the aerodynamics overlay seems like the right place to show it.

CoL isn't actually meaningful though. Stability comes from the aerodynamic center being behind the center of mass, and that (obviously) takes drag into account as well.

Think of a finless rocket. It either will or will not be stable, depending on the distribution of drag and mass. And yet by definition it has no CoL.

Now think of a rocket with some fins at the back, but a giant bulbous fairing at the front. CoL will be in the back, but it won't be stable, because the torque from drag when it's off-prograde will outweigh the torque from lift.

Edited by NathanKell

CoL isn't actually meaningful though. Stability comes from the aerodynamic center being behind the center of mass, and that (obviously) takes drag into account as well.

Think of a finless rocket. It either will or will not be stable, depending on the distribution of drag and mass. And yet by definition it has no CoL.

Now think of a rocket with some fins at the back, but a giant bulbous fairing at the front. CoL will be in the back, but it won't be stable, because the torque from drag when it's off-prograde will outweigh the torque from lift.

I dont think he meant specifically center of lift. In the VAB/SPH, there is a button for "center of lift" and i think he just meant "show us where that is dynamically"

Practically, i think what he really wants is center of pressure Cp, no?

Yes. But that would require CoP actually being calculated, which stock absolutely doesn't do (indeed, the aero stability indicator that was mentioned in dev notes is not in 1.0, presumably because it was too hard for the time allowed).

Yes. But that would require CoP actually being calculated, which stock absolutely doesn't do (indeed, the aero stability indicator that was mentioned in dev notes is not in 1.0, presumably because it was too hard for the time allowed).

Can it be calculated by summing up the forces on all of the parts? Or is it more complicated than that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.