Am I the only one who sees Jebediah and Valentina as rivals rather than a pair?

Back in the pre-1.0 days(especially in the earliest versions), Jebediah was an iconic pilot who was revered for being the badass around all of Kerbin, thus turning him qute into the face of KSP. There was simply noone like him. But then, Valentina came along, being, too, a pilot and harbouring a pre-set badass flag, who also quickly rose to fame and got fans of her own.

Despite that, the community appears to consider the two as a pair - if not romantic, then at least best friends. Am I the only one who thinks Jeb feels his reputation is in danger when Val is around? While I don't imagine the two constantly bickering, I think each would try to outdo the other to prove their "superior skillz". (And I think Jeb may have some choice words for me since Val's now my craft tester)

I never considered Val any more special than the other orange Kerbals. She's no more a threat to Jeb's reputation than Bill or Bob (other than being another pilot perhaps), and even if they did get competitive, I'm sure they could put aside their differences for Science.

I rarely assign them the same mission anyway.

I do see them as rivals, but in a friendly way. Sort of like Deke Slayton and Alan Shepard.

There's going to be one heck of a decision to figure out which one lands on the Mun first. I figure whichever one has the most XP at that point will get to go.

In my space program, the two head up entirely different divisions. Jeb serves as the commander for orbital operations, strictly rocketry. Valentina heads the ground team operations, and when they become available, she'll move to the SSTO Spaceplane division.

I never considered Val any more special than the other orange Kerbals. She's no more a threat to Jeb's reputation than Bill or Bob (other than being another pilot perhaps), and even if they did get competitive, I'm sure they could put aside their differences for Science.

I rarely assign them the same mission anyway.

You monster.

I consider them in my personal headcanon as merely colleagues working amicably together, and that both are already married to their respective spouses (Jeb's wife is a partner at a major accountancy firm, Valentina's husband is a pro-space and pro-science politician).

In my program, Jeb flies aircraft. He'll eventually be able to fly spaceplanes, once we have the tech.

Val, on the other hand, is my go-to bada55 pilot and the only Kerbonaut who has yet experienced space.

The rivalry was so serious, I had to have them head up separate parts of the program. Jeb still thinks he got a raw deal.

Happy landings!

I consider them both rivals and friends. Both constantly strive to outdo the other but always remain best buddies when it comes down to it.

Same here. In fact, I have them constantly one-upping each other in my career save. Val was the first Kerbal in space. Jeb the first to the Mun. Val was the first to Minmus. Jeb is up next for whatever the next milestone is.

But Jeb and Val put their rivalry aside to mutually complete the static orbital rendezvous mission and the static docking mission that Squad just added in 1.0 :)

Absolutely they're rivals. As we all know, the male Kerbonauts were all clones of Jebediah. Obviously, this made them a bit less awesome than him, but it made it easy for the program to create replacements no matter how many explosions occurred. Jebediah would survive everything I put him through in my careers, but his offspring were a bit more fragile.

Valentina, then, represents the start of a newer clone line intended to eventually replace Jebediah's horde. It's obvious that there'd be a rivalry between them, then; this sort of situation has been the plot for quite a few sci-fi movies.

And seriously, why didn't they just make Val an engineer or scientist? It's strange, because in my current career all five of the female kerbonauts I've rescued from orbit have been scientists...

Never gave it much thought, but as Val is the newcomer and just as badass as Jeb she strikes me as Jeb's niece or something.

That's kinda similar to how I see it, at least with the Jeb being old enough to have an adult niece part. He's just been around so long he's gotta be in his 40s, at least, while Val is in her mid 20s. So she's up and coming, and he's getting ready to retire

My headcannon in my 1.0 career has been that Jeb sees Valentina as a rival, being jealous of the things she achieved before him. She was oblivious to this bitterness, and by now, Jeb has gotten over it and they're friends.

It's amazing how much you can characterize while playing characters that don't talk, but Thomas Was Alone has proven that it's not as hard as it sounds.

The Sierra Space Program official cannon states that Jeb's piloting style is a bit . . . 'aggressive' thus he is not permitted to handle high performance aircraft. I tend to favor my female pilots for that.

On a sidenote, what is the kerbal equivalent to the word 'women'? if 'kerbal'='person/human' roughly, then what are some other, less genderless terms? These actually need to be a thing now.

I pray 1.0 hath not unleashed the full wrath of Rule 34.

I see them as co-worker...Nothing especially exciting outside of headcanons of fan. Why? Because I cannot ship them before I ship Jeb with Bill. I mean, check out this video of Bill saving Jeb from certain death, risking his own life.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.