The future of Kerbal Space Program

Now that KSP has been released and we are at patch 1.0.2, I was wondering what KSP will look in the future.

Squad has stated that they will continue to maintain the game and even expand it through patches.

I also think that the devs need an incentive to continue it's development and from my part I see no problem with paid quality expansions.

What I would like to see in this game:

- 64bit support.

- expanded solar system.

- comets.

- multiple solar systems.

This is a great game and the potential to build on it further is breathtaking.

1. 64 bit is in the works.

2. GP2 has a "maybe" status.

3. It is hard to implement comets. All those ice gysers. If squad manadges to pull that off then we can have volcanoes on planets too. I don't belive we will be seeeing any of that soon if ever

4. Squad has said it before that there are no plans for more stars to explore.

But ofcourse, for every question the answer is "there is a mod for that" (except comets, I haven't seen that anywhere)

3. It is hard to implement comets. All those ice gysers. If squad manadges to pull that off then we can have volcanoes on planets too.

Apply force vector pushing you out from the comet when crossing the particle effect. Bang, done. Yes, it's a very simplified implementation - closer to the sun you'd want to have a risk of damaging parts when hit by particles (See: ESA Giotto probe) - but still adds quite interesting factor into the flight dynamics.

Volcanoes would be much different.

What I would like to see in this game:

- 64bit support.

I assume, you mean "on Windows".

Impossible without Unity 5. Although the developers have said they'll port the game on it eventually, I highly doubt it. I know something about software development, and as far as I understand it would mean to freakin' carefully edit, like, two of every three lines of the game code, and before this they have to find out which lines should be edited. Well, they're the devs and I'm not...

- expanded solar system.

- comets.

Would be nice but I can live without it.

Impossible without FTL travel of some sort.

It definitely is.

Impossible without Unity 5. Although the developers have said they'll port the game on it eventually, I highly doubt it. I know something about software development, and as far as I understand it would mean to freakin' carefully edit, like, two of every three lines of the game code, and before this they have to find out which lines should be edited. Well, they're the devs and I'm not...

I for one very much hope for Unity 5. IMHO that's the most important milestone for the future of KSP.

Impossible without FTL travel of some sort.

Only if you assume that multiple solar systems means multiple ones in the SAME campaign. Not if it means being able to restart a new game in a new solar system, which would be nice as it would make each play through a bit different.

- 64bit support.

- expanded solar system.

- comets.

64 Bit ? Linux :-) Multithreading/-processing is missing imo ...

There are tremendous mods like Outer Planets. Stand at the side of your Kerbals watching Sarnus rise !

Comets ... i have no opinion ... am still content with asteroids.

Multipl solar systems ... wow. Would that mean navigation in the gravitational field of a galaxy ? We would need a million year warp then .... :-). And 100s of km/s of dV ...

But, why not. And how about more things like "easter eggs", sites to explore, techniques to research. Keeping the game alive. And keep on polishing the contract system, cause hauling tourists around ... if i could create sort of a spin-off company that does the tourist stuff and transfers 40% of the income to me i'd give them (the company) my blessings ...

The, the game can really be breathtaking (in all positive aspects) !

:-)

k

Edited by kemde

I assume, you mean "on Windows".

It definitely is.

As I understand unity 5, windows 64 bit is planned for KSP 1.1.

Most stuff does not have to change however it will pop up lots of issues and bugs because of changes in Unity, many who are not documented.

As I understand they have tried to compile KSP in Unity 5.

64 bit is also pretty much an requirement for more planets or multiplayer

Would like Mun level details on other bodies.

Multiple solar systems might work if you use closer distances than realistic, say 5-10x distance to Eeloo to the next star. FTL however might let you load the new solar system who would have performance benefits.

Would like Mun level details on other bodies.

That... doesn't sound too encouraging. I would like to see a lot more details than that, including things like volcanoes, cryovolcanos, geysers, canyons, caves, ice actually being an ice, etc. Something to add "exploring" into the game, not just flying from one planet to another, making a touchdown and going back. Addition of resources on a planet surface was definitely a move in a right direction, but there's so much more than can be done. Right now variety between planets and moons goes down mostly to the color of a texture, terrain scatter and whatever it has an atmosphere or water, which is a huge waste of opportunities considering just how many amazing inspirations you can take from our solar system.

But ofcourse, for every question the answer is "there is a mod for that" (except comets, I haven't seen that anywhere)

I saw a mod, once, that had comets. I wish to HECK I could find it again. It had other planets and crap, too. I'd love to rip the comets bit out and see what I could do with it.

64bits is pretty much a technical obligation.

Even if KSP isn't that pretty it still have pretty particular requirement due to using much more physics calculation than a dozen AAA game run in parallel.

As for what is next...

Myself I'm asking them to finish what they started before improving.

So :

- An actual Tech-Tree, not the horrible clusterf*ck we will have to mods.

- A rebalance of the Contract to avoid generating upside-down rocket level objective. Not because it's not Kerbal, but because its feel like a cheap way to generate fake content

- Major rebalance of Administration facility and all around reward/cost. (I would suggest some periodic Reputation-based budget)

(I'm feeling very snarky today, I excuse myself for unwarranted bluntness)

I second the 64bit.

But I would also like to see some stock clouds and don't want to have to rely on mods. With the "launch smoke" effects now realized I see this as the next step up in graphical improvements.

Integrate Outer Planets Mod.

Improve overall GFX/SND quality (maybe possible with Unity 5?).

Some kind of story or something would be nice.

Only if you assume that multiple solar systems means multiple ones in the SAME campaign. Not if it means being able to restart a new game in a new solar system, which would be nice as it would make each play through a bit different.

Oh, it would be quite interesting. I don't see SQUAD doing it, though. Mods, maybe.

I think it's awesome that KSP has a development future. Sales and reviews have been good. They've said multiple times now that they want to hit the books over the next cycle, and upgrade to Unity 5 for v1.1.

I think it will have to feature some graphical improvements, although they have said nothing along those lines, yet. Unity 5 offers physically-based shading: metals that look more metallic, as they interact with light sources. To get best results with that, other games I've been following talk about the need to revise their texture maps.

Sprinkled throughout the recent all-hands Squadcast were thanks to the community for supporting KSP, and positive statements that they aren't done yet, it will continue to improve.

1) Moar stuff to see and do on all the bodies!

2) A better thought-out system of career advancement, with many much-needed tweaks to what you can do when in your career progression

3) more depth to the contracts system, extensively based on things that get implemented in doing Item 1) above. Missons to go visit some specific spot should involve finding some kind of easter egg a significant fraction of the time!

A future KSP requires a complete "do over" of the career and experience dynamic (including as mentioned above - a revised R&D mechanism and tech node/part construct)

The relationship between a player's space program and the various subcontractors needs to be turned on its head. Currently the player is working for the subcontractors and needs them to provide Funding for any exploration - which is totally the opposite of any analogues to my knowledge. Let the player plan exploration programs, allocate budgets , select subcontractors to assist based on their bids and historical reliability and performance, and allow reputation to drive annual funding. This game is missing a convincing Macro-model.

EDIT: And BTW, the excuse of "KSP is a sandbox game" does not support implementing a crappy and grindy deterministic career mode - either do it right or don't do it at all.

Edited by Wallygator
Sphelling and a lovely rant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.