New patch coming, plus Unity 5 work to begin

Could it be related to the fact that one is for an aircraft, and would normally be subjected to far different stresses… like being horizontal (hogging), landing forces (while horizontal), etc?

The part does have a higher crash tolerance, though that really doesn't matter if it's being pushed by an LV-N, which is the case for most people that are complaining about the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

also I'm hoping that Unity 5 will not be that far off, The Forest switched over to unity 5 within a month of it coming out, although I have no idea what the process of changing engine is like so I'm just thinking out loud, still hopefully its more a case of months than years.

Understand that while I'm a programmer, I've never dealt with Unity 4 or 5, so this is just general impression.

Some programs were able to switch over quite easily. KSP will not be one of them (or at least I belive so), because it rather heavily uses the physics simulation functionality in Unity, which is the one major area that is not backwards compatible between U4 and U5. Besiege, which is more KSP-like than most games based on Unity 4, has yet to release a version based on Unity 5, despite at least two weeks of effort, as last I heard. Squad has already mentioned that they have an in-house version of KSP running on Unity 5, though they also mention that there are issues.

The part does have a higher crash tolerance, though that really doesn't matter if it's being pushed by an LV-N, which is the case for most people that are complaining about the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Understand that while I'm a programmer, I've never dealt with Unity 4 or 5, so this is just general impression.

Some programs were able to switch over quite easily. KSP will not be one of them (or at least I belive so), because it rather heavily uses the physics simulation functionality in Unity, which is the one major area that is not backwards compatible between U4 and U5. Besiege, which is more KSP-like than most games based on Unity 4, has yet to release a version based on Unity 5, despite at least two weeks of effort, as last I heard. Squad has already mentioned that they have an in-house version of KSP running on Unity 5, though they also mention that there are issues.

Sounds like they got a head start on it while working on 1.0. What kinds of issues did they mention? if they did mention specifics.

Sounds like they got a head start on it while working on 1.0. What kinds of issues did they mention? if they did mention specifics.

That migrated versions of KSP on U5 would max out any computer they tried to run it on, and it would crash in short order.

2.5m LF tank for LV-N use.

Why? Just remove the oxidizer. It's the same ratio. Jet fuel tanks have the same LF storage as rocket tanks if I'm not mistaken.

- - - Updated - - -

The forums are dead to Squad.

No, it is because it is a sort of sound-byte of information that would be too small for a forum post. Besides, it was posted on the forums very quickly. The forums are not "dead" to them at all.

Why? Just remove the oxidizer. It's the same ratio. Jet fuel tanks have the same LF storage as rocket tanks if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken :sticktongue: From the Wiki (which appears to be updated to 1.0.2 stats) Jet fuel tanks carry 0.75t of fuel and and weighs 0.15t empty; LF+O tanks carry 0.9t of fuel but weigh 0.25t empty. Thus, the tanks carry different amounts of fuel, but more importantly, LF tanks have a higher wet mass to dry mass ratio.

Edited by arkie87

I would also like to see an in-game crash / problem reporting function - Let the game collect all those files and send them - releases me from that bit of pain and also insures consistency in reporting. They can still choose to ignore them, but at least it's consistent.

You're mistaken. It is only the rather ridiculous 1.25m LF tank that suffers such a mass ratio penalty. Compare the Mk2 and Mk3 LF-only tanks to their LFO equivalents, there is far more LF in the former (in fact, it's equal to the sum of LF and O in the latter, so the mass ratio is exactly the same as the LFO versions). Basically, the Mk3 LF tanks are the only ones with good mass ratios, and Mk3 is a format that doesn't blend well with other spacecraft parts and requires a large minimum size. Many of the interesting things one might want on an interplanetary ship are 2.5m (ISRU, science lab, etc), it just makes sense to have at least one good tank in that diameter for the best interplanetary engines.

Tweakable fuel types for all tanks would be better still, as that would give us LF-filled size adapters which would be a boon for planes, plus it would reduce the duplication in the editor menus. Not sure if that is on the table, though.

Red, I really hope that ends up on the table. no need to add a dozen new tanks, just enable a toggle on the current tanks. boom done. (I know coding is not "boom done" but I really think the toggle option is better than the bunch of new LF only tanks option)

Would a toggle be necessary for fuel tanks?

the way it works currently is that we can remove the oxidiser but the liquid fuel bar doesn't change, it seems like a reasonable solution would be that if we take out the oxidiser the liquid fuel bar would show more space allowing us to add more liquid fuel without having to change the tank.

that way we wouldn't need seperate tanks for Liquid fuel and LFO.

Hotfix hopes (not all realistic):

* Unlockable steering and working wheel animations on the new landing gear.

* Another set of gear between small and medium in height; the small gear are too short to be used as a nosewheel in combination with wing-mounted medium gear.

* Control surfaces that match the new small swept wings.

* Large wings that actually work as modular pieces rather than forcing a single wingshape.

* Finally fix the asymmetric jet thrust thingie. Having to fiddle with order of intake placement is a pointless nuisance.

* Clouds!

Would a toggle be necessary for fuel tanks?

the way it works currently is that we can remove the oxidiser but the liquid fuel bar doesn't change, it seems like a reasonable solution would be that if we take out the oxidiser the liquid fuel bar would show more space allowing us to add more liquid fuel without having to change the tank.

that way we wouldn't need seperate tanks for Liquid fuel and LFO.

That would be better still for experienced players (you could make jet/rocket hybrids with a single tank and no wasted space), but I think for newbies it might cause confusion. Plus we might want to change fuel types to monoprop or xenon, which would require a toggle anyway.

* Finally fix the asymmetric jet thrust thingie. Having to fiddle with order of intake placement is a pointless nuisance.

While I agree that would be a great thing, in the meantime I've been using Intake Build Aid, it automagically reorders things to balance intakes to engines. Build plane, press button, done. (Be sure to get the 1.0.x compatible .dll here).

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Oh, ok, I get you. I thought it was a quote from Maxmaps twitter.

"An interesting tweet from Maxmaps:" - your post, and then everything that followed is from Maxmaps. Apparently it's not. Sorry for confusion.

I also thought that the post containing 'an interesting tweet from maxmaps' would contain the tweet itself.

So what did maxmaps actually tweet?

Hotfix hopes (not all realistic):

* Unlockable steering and working wheel animations on the new landing gear.

* Another set of gear between small and medium in height; the small gear are too short to be used as a nosewheel in combination with wing-mounted medium gear.

* Control surfaces that match the new small swept wings.

* Large wings that actually work as modular pieces rather than forcing a single wingshape.

* Clouds!

Everything you just said I was about to type...although I thought Squad said they fixed the asymmetric jet flameout. If the fix didn't make it into the 1.0/1.02 versions, I know Squad is aware of it since they mentioned it a while back. I've been rebuilding all my craft files from scratch instead of importing old ones, just to make sure.

- A personal preference, I wish the Basic Jet Engine had a little more oomph, or maybe a non-ramjet engine that fits somewhere between the J-33 and the J-X4. I used to be able to build VTOL-capable spaceplanes with the J-33 in Mk2 Cargo Bays. Now I need twice as many J-33's and the craft can still just barely lift off after 30 seconds of extended spool up.

What does "hotfix" mean?

A sometimes small bugfix released relatively close after a major version update. It's to rapidly address significant bugs that directly affect gameplay for most players.

Edited by Raptor9

Red, I really hope that ends up on the table. no need to add a dozen new tanks, just enable a toggle on the current tanks. boom done. (I know coding is not "boom done" but I really think the toggle option is better than the bunch of new LF only tanks option)

Its just 4 2.5 meter rocket fuel tanks: 360,720, 1440 and 3880 liters. I say the 1440 would be most interesting, followed by the 720 and 3880 liter ones.

I also thought that the post containing 'an interesting tweet from maxmaps' would contain the tweet itself.

So what did maxmaps actually tweet?

I embedded the tweet in the OP, but sometimes it doesn't load, so here is the text in full:

"Today: Everyone flies back home. Tomorrow: Hotfix and Unity 5 work begins."

What does "hotfix" mean?

A hotfix is a minor version released between major versions, usually contains no new features, only bugfixes and tweaks. Generally speaking, KSP denotes hotfixes with another decimal separator, so 1.0.1 is a hotfix. (The exception is 0.23.5, which was a major release with an odd version number).

- - - Updated - - -

apologies for the late reply, I only just saw this post.

That's interesting and what you say makes a lot of sense.

it seems Unity 5 handles physics in a very different way, it reminds me of a video I saw a few weeks ago

I think this video really sums up how much difference Unity 5 will make to KSP (hopefully)

I really wish Devs (in general, not only Squad) wouldn't use twitter for thiese kind of communication - the short format leads to more question than anything.

I'm reading the tweet as

"Tomorrow, hotfix is release, and we start working on Unity 5"

but it can be read as

"Tomorrow, we start working on a hotfix, and we also start working on Unity 5"

And, that changes a lot, since, I'm currently waiting a bit before playing the game...

What I would like to see soon in KSP...

if we can have this

Y3xyXCv.png

we should also have this

hRNVx6i.png

Depending on which command-part (manned or unmanned doesn't matter) is selected as the active only action from set of actions groups from this part should be executed.

Super simple and would improve a lot our ability to managing multiple crafts docked to space station and not only that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.