The Apollo Applications Program: 1.0 Edition

On 5/13/2015 at 11:47 PM, GregroxMun said:

-MOLAB: Using two Saturn V Launches, Bring a Giant Pressurized Rover to the Mun.

How big is giant? If the rover and landing system is approximately maximum payload to Kerbin orbit of one Saturn V, and the transfer stage is the S-IVB from another Saturn V, is that large enough to be considered giant?

@eloquentJane about 4 tonnes on the surface of the Moon. http://www.astronautix.com/m/molab.html

@demo_the_man I like the Eyes stuff you have there, where did you get it from? just completed my Gemini Direct Saturn V RP-0 career to the Moon, and I'm batting around plausible ways to bring in Apollo hardware before I build an infrastructure towards Mars.

Youtube, for the interested:

• 2 weeks later...

I had never even heard of the AAP until I came across this thread. I did some more research, and I really think NASA knew what they were doing with designing this program. It lowers costs by using existing hardware... perfect for my career game. I'm also inspired by the way people cluster 1.25m fuel tanks and 2.5m engines instead of just using 3.75m tanks and engines - another trick for the career game. And, I'm aiming for Minmus instead of the Mun, because I need more science! The Artemis missions have begun...

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

The first unmanned test of the Splat!ern IB and the Artemis CSM was a complete success! The second stage (S-IBV) managed to get to orbit with a third of it's total fuel remaining, and the solar panels on the CSM were enough to keep the probe core running for days! You may see some similarities between mine and @Angel-125's rockets, beacuse I haven't unlocked 3.75m tanks, but I have got the wet workshop (I hope you don't mind).

Launch:

jfIZd0R.jpg

Oh man, those Real Plume effects are amazing!

MDVY8Us.jpg

Ignore the blue and red streaks you may see in some of the shots; I'm using steam and the screenshot key is the same as the one that toggles the aerodynamic overlay.

The first (S-IB) stage only seperated once it had gotten me a 140km apogee, and the second stage circularized into a 120x150 orbit. Not perfect, but good enough. :-)

First stage seperation, the small SRBs giving the S-IVB a little push. I also haven't unlocked 3.75m decouplers, and so used a 2.5m decoupler stashed away in a large faring:

3FvxYkh.jpg

Circularising after jettisoning the LES:

IEsW2h1.jpg

And yes, that is an Irish flag on the side of the second stage. :-)

Decoupling the CSM from the SpaceY clamshell cargo bay:

hl3BOx0.jpg

De-orbiting the CSM:

nHeB5aj.jpg

Decoupling the service module:

16gYfZo.jpg

After a calm re-entry, the CM splashed down in the ocean, and was recovered by the HMS NotAMarkTwainBook. Now it's time for the manned launches!

NcfUXFI.jpg

Two new launches: The manned Splat!ern IB, and the unmanned Splat!ern V. First, the manned Splat!ern IB.

The crew roster is filled by Jeb, Bill, and Val (Bob is on 'Zemlya' station).

The launch is pretty much the same as the one above ^, but once the ship got into orbit, Jeb extended the panels and settled down for three days of space vacation.

"Hey, Val," asked Jeb, "You did pack the sunscreen, right?"

"Erm..."

"You forgot, didn't you?" Jeb sighed, and glanced through the porthole. Kerbin hung in the... sky (space?) like a giant blue marble, and the Mun eclipsed the Sun, casting a dark shadow on the Artemis capsule. "Well," he said. "I guess we better put on our EVA suits and get our visors down..."

LM55Azk.jpg

And then I got to the fun part. An unmanned launch of the Splat!ern V.

Launch:

PWHAjZs.jpg

No pictures of the first stage (S-IC) seperation, but here's the circulirization:

FzV6bHp.jpg

As you can see, the second stage is the same stage that's used in the Splat!ern IB, because that's one of the conditions of the challenge. After circularising, I opened the clamshell bay and decoupled the CSM, swinging around to dock with the MM (Munar Module).

59Alb18.jpg

k4vGoVY.jpg

Docked!

O1BtFGa.jpg

Decoupling the S-IVB (second stage):

PUMWpPc.jpg

No pictures of the de-orbit, but re-entry was a blast. *wink wink, terrible pun*

kOkBxCZ.jpg

And coming down for a safe landing, as debris crashes to the ground below. :-)

HWBNfiZ.jpg

Score for both missions:

Unmanned Splat!ern IB:

1st stage has 5 engines, 2nd stage has five engines, 3rd stage has one engine. +20 (The CSM counts as the 3rd stage)

Has a LES. +5

Manned Splat!ern IB:

1st stage has 5 engines, 2nd stage has five engines, 3rd stage has one engine. +20

Has a LES. +5

Unmanned Splat!ern V:

1st stage has five engines, 2nd stage has five engines, 3rd stage has one engine. +20

Lander stored behind a faring. +10

Has a LES. +5

Total for all missions:

85 points.

Artemis-2 successfully injected into Minmus orbit, taking readings and science from orbit, before returning. A Kerbalised version of 'Apollo 8', this mission launched from the Splat!ern V, using the S-IVB to complete the Minmus encounter,and using the CSM to circularise. Of course, I didn't use the MM to land, as this mission wasn't intended to plant those footsteps on the surface. After collecting 300 science from orbit, Artemis-2 returned to Kerbin and splashed down in the ocean (again).

Launch:

Y8fhkYb.jpg

Sorry for the darkness, I feel like Jeb was using his 1993 cell phone to take these pictures.

Circularising:

uKM8nXH.jpg

The transposition and docking went well, and I began the transfer burn after I aligned the ships plane with Minmus'.

buRpn3m.jpg

"Ooohh," said Val to Bill. "Minmus looks tasty."

"Don't be fooled," replied Jeb, taking a long drag of his electric cigar. "We all know minmus is made of frosty grass. Tasty, yes. Tasty for cows."

Vals eyes welled up with tears. Bill placed his hand on her shoulder comfortingly.

"Don't worry Val. I'm sure some of it is mint ice cream."

Approaching Minmus:

o11DnHB.jpg

After circularising, Bill took some readings from the goo canisters and the Science Jr, and then we departed.

Return burn:

uIa2BFp.jpg

Aerobraking:

C4F3ZC8.jpg

After aerobraking, I realised my fatal mistake. I forgot to put a science container of the command pod! So I had to land with the service module still attached to preserve the science!

TrLI7M4.jpg

A not-so-favourable splashdown:

4zXlA5s.jpg

iS8vSMz.jpg

Now I know to look closely before launching a historical mission to Minmus, with millions of Kerbals watching on live TV! :-)

Score for Artemis-2:

Has a LES. +5

Has the lander stored behind a faring. +10

Has five 1st stage engines, five 2nd stage engines, and one 3rd stage engine. +20

Fly to Minmus using Apollo/Saturn hardware. +30

Add the previous balance. +85

Total:

150 points.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

Oh... the Apollo CSM on the Saturn IB was only partially fueled? It looks like I grossly over engineered my rockets then... the Splat!ern V cost about 200,000 kerbucks with payload... I'm glad those explore Minmus contracts came in right about the same time I started this challenge. (I'm fairly sure the Splat!ern IB cost around 150,000)

Today, Artemis-4 was launched, the brave Kerbals aboard setting their sights on the surface Minmus. But more on that later. First, I launched Artemis-3 to LKO, to test the MM's descent and ascent engines. After a successful test, it was time for the launch of Artemis-4.

I8W7xoN.jpg

First stage seperation:

3bwaTPt.jpg

Circularising:

FvQg0RF.jpg

Transposition and docking:

7ng5CRc.jpg

Transfer burn:

9UJAKGI.jpg

Approaching the minty green ice cream:

9bDI6Lp.jpg

And I had a free return trajectory during approach:

KlnkQum.jpg

Mechjeb used only for flight information; thinking about using Astrogator instead.

UIrE6SX.jpg

Decoupling the lander:

VX0OIQ0.jpg

Landing:

F77xdVB.jpgZLe64pZ.jpg

Valentina gingerly steps out of the lander can.

"I'm looking at the surface now... it's covered in a sort of icy green dust... definitely not ice cream.

I'm stepping onto the surface, my footprints are shallow, even the weight of my moon boots can't crack the ice.

It's one small step... for a Kerbal, one truly giant leap, for Kerbalkind... and all of aerospace development."

PKlEki0.jpg

After Val plants a flag... Denvas? Denbas? Denvers? I can't remember his name. Something beginning with D, joined her out on the surface.
GMkEaUF.jpg

Val claimed Minmus for the Irish. :-)

And then, It turns out that I didn't need the ascent stage at all! I completed the entire rendezvous with just the descent stage. :-P

Rendezvous:

gUv1LQn.jpg

After docking, I transferred Val and D. Kerman back into the CSM, and ditched the lander.

No pictures of the return burn; here's the Kerbin approach:

C8CeC6Z.jpg

Re-entry:

Jnj2AO1.jpg

Splashdown:

3GQDekc.jpg

A good science haul of 576; now a total balance of 769. The Artemis Application Program awaits...

Score for Artemis-4:

Five engines on the 1st stage, five on the 2nd, and one on the 3rd. +20

Has a LES: +5

Lander stored behind faring. +10

Visit Minmus using Apollo/Saturn hardware. +30

Add previous balance. +150

EDIT:

Free return trajectory until in the Mun/Minmus SOI. +10

Total:

235 points.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

Artemis-5 launched today, hoping to land on the Mun and rescue a stranded Kerbal. Sadly, the crew encountered a problem.

eby3wO7.jpg

Jeb: "Kouston, we've had a problem."

Mission control: "Artemis, this is CAPCOM, could you repeat that please?"

Jenma: "We've had a problem, over."

Mission control: "What's the nature of the problem?"

Jeb: "Technical. All electrical equipment in the CSM has failed."

Mission control: "Is there anything that isn't electrical in the CSM?"

Jenma: "Apart from the decoupler and the parachutes, no."

Mission control: "Don't worry, we have a plan. Transfer to the MM and use it's descent engine to return. Make sure to keep the crossfeed between the CSM and the MM going at all times."

A coarse voice crackled over Jeb's voice: "Hey. It's me. Henlong. The guy stranded on the Mun. When're you gonna get me?!"

Jeb: "You'll just have to wait, buddy."

Using the MM's descent engine, Artemis-5 transferred back to Kerbin orbit, when the crew got back into the capsule, decoupled the MM and service module, and braced themselves for re-entry.

tGtoJ2k.jpg

kfrStFD.jpg

KASA are now trying to determine what caused the incident; the Artemis missions have been temporarily postponed.

Score for Artemis-5:

Has a LES. +5

Lander stored behind a faring. +10

Five engines on the 1st stage, five on the 2nd stage, and one on the 3rd stage. +20

Add previous balance. +235

Total:

270 points.

So starting off with mostly test launches and some earlier Apollo missions,

My non mission test flights.

Little Joe II to test my capsule

http://imgur.com/a/mPrmw

Apollo I boilerplate and Pegasus launch

http://imgur.com/a/RsGJU

Saturn IB Test Flight

http://imgur.com/a/qhT4m

A Saturn MLV "simulation" done by the boys in R&D

http://imgur.com/a/6ae5Y

Now for some actual missions.

Apollo 4

http://imgur.com/a/wgPiF

Apollo 7

http://imgur.com/a/jZFyU

Apollo 8

http://imgur.com/a/VA2rZ

Apollo 9 

http://imgur.com/a/SAGaP

Apollo 11

http://imgur.com/a/sUERM

So for the goals,

- Saturn Five uses 5 engines on the first stage, 5 engines on the second stage, and one engine on the third stage. +20

- Free-Return Trajectory until in Mun's SOI. +10

- Lander stored behind a fairing. +10

- Leave Descent Stage on Mun. +5

- Stock. +20 (Use only stock parts) (Stock for life baby)

- Launch Escape System. +5

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10

Total Normal Apollo Program Score: 80

More to come and finish the Apollo Program up to Apollo 18

Edited by Fraus

I have a lot f stuff to catch up on.

I launched the Munar base and the Skylab. Except I put Skylab into Munar orbit, and landed the base on Minmus. :-)

Launch of Minmus base:

BvBrkXh.jpg

The launch was very simple (and boring); if you want to see the ascent you can see some of my earlier posts.

Transfer burn:

ih1bqPi.jpg

Approaching Minmus:

9f97gov.jpg

Landing the base:

i8HgtMl.jpg

eVcuiqB.jpg

After landing and planting a flag, I got Jenma out on EVA to inflate the habitat and science lab.

Jt3KmGn.jpg

A small Pathfinder tube on the front of the base hub, in case I need to add more modules.

And then I got to the fun part. Launching Munar Skylab! I used a new prototype, the Splat!ern MLV, for launching the beast.

Launch:

gw5PVxj.jpg

Circularization was done using most of the first stage, the upper stage only ignited with about 300m/s left in the burn.

Transfer burn:

9ESLacX.jpg

Approaching Mun:

XSUj1Z5.jpg

After the capture burn, I redocked the solar observatory to the docking hub, and sent a Kerbal on EVA to vent the remaining fuel into space and reconfigure the transfer stage as a wet workshop.

SDS4UOq.jpg

Score for Minmus base:

Objective complete. +20

Has a LES: +5

Lander stored behind faring. +10

Visit Minmus using Apollo/Saturn hardware. +30

Five engines on the 1st stage, five on the 2nd stage, and one on the 3rd stage. +20

Add previous balance. +270

Total: 355 points

Score for Munar Skylab:

Objective complete. +20

Add previous balance. +355

Total:

375 points.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

1 hour ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Thanks very much!

I've completed another objective; the ASTP.

First, the launch of the Soy-juice:

buxUxvY.jpg

For the design, I was going more for looks than realism, and so my Soyuz lookalike made it to orbit with way too much fuel left in the upper stage, which never even needed to be jettisoned.

Circularising after the booster separation:

aMbmYp4.jpg

Respect Korolev's cross. :-)

After the Soy-juice made it to orbit, I launched an Artemis CSM, with docking adapter, on the Splat!ern IB rocket. Basically all of my rockets designed for this challenge aim for looks rather than realism, and the CSM made it to orbit with half the fuel left in the upper stage.

Launch:

MaAlSxA.jpg

Ditching the first stage during circularization:

vvLE8iA.jpg

After reaching orbit, I rendezvoused with the Soy-juice and, after decoupling the SIVB upper stage, attempted to dock:

QUzAYLe.jpg

There seems to be a problem with the HGR solar panels; they sometimes don't extend properly, and when you switch to a different craft, the implode. They still generate power, but they just fold in on themselves.

Docking:

8Of8aAa.jpg

Docked!

Nb9JS7R.jpg

After transferring some crew between the two ships, I de-orbited both of them. First, the Soy-juice.

No pictures of de-orbit burn. :-(

Then, I decoupled the service module, and the orbital 'orb' module:

OfghaX6.jpg

Re-entry:

mA5ouLC.jpg

Parachutes deployed:

OJCuy5j.jpg

Firing the soft landing jets:

9X5aaxf.jpg

After recovering the Soy-juice, it was time to de-orbit the Artemis CSM:

af2o9M3.jpg

After a safe landing, I recovered both ships. All five of the astro/cosmonauts returned to KSC, and were secretly led to a Kollywood film studio, the interior resembling the surface of Duna...

Score for ASTP:

Objective complete. +20

Has a LES. +5

Add previous balance. +375

Total:

400 points.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2016 at 1:48 AM, Angel-125 said:

*snip* I'm working on a story with a story arc that's loosely based on the Apollo Applications Challenge. *snip*

Wait, what?! A story you say? I'm interested... (It's weird that I didn't notice that line before...)

57 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Wait, what?! A story you say? I'm interested... (It's weird that I didn't notice that line before...)

Well, I was working on a story, and have the vehicles designed, but I never got around to it. Modding has taken up all of my free time for the past several months, but once I finish Buffalo Wings, I might have more time to play. In the meantime, the vehicles I designed appear as sample craft for the upcoming MOLE update since they use a number of parts from the MOLE mod.

32 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Well, I was working on a story, and have the vehicles designed, but I never got around to it. Modding has taken up all of my free time for the past several months, but once I finish Buffalo Wings, I might have more time to play. In the meantime, the vehicles I designed appear as sample craft for the upcoming MOLE update since they use a number of parts from the MOLE mod.

Yes, but I can't help but noticing that your diagrams show an Eyes Turned Skyward style orbital module included in your Saturn 1B...

6 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Yes, but I can't help but noticing that your diagrams show an Eyes Turned Skyward style orbital module included in your Saturn 1B...

I wasn't thinking about that at the time, but yeah, I see that now. :) I put that in there because why not? The Jool IB has a truckload of LFO and more than enough delta-v to reach orbit and beyond, so I made use of it to carry payloads. Makes me wonder why 5m tanks are really necessary..

Loving the designs you came up with, BTW. Will we see them in your story too?

Edited by Angel-125

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

*snip* Loving the designs you came up with, BTW. Will we see them in your story too?

Well, considering they made a sneaky cameo when Gene turned the KSC, they might... just probably not in 'Kontakt.' However, once 'Kontakt' is finished, I have plans for both a sequel and a prequel. I'm more interested in doing the prequel, mostly because of the name I've given it - the Wright Stuff. :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.