KSP youtubers impact

Ival70

What made you join the KSP community?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. What made you join the KSP community?

• Youtuber
    • Not Youtuber

I remember a while back, there was a thread discussing how the KSP community would change if it was showcased on PewDiePie's (and other similar) channels. Well, it's been two weeks since this:

So far I haven't noticed much of any change, which led me to another question. Who here on the forums joined due to seeing KSP on a popular Youtube channel, and which channel? I didn't, though probably would have if I had discovered KSP that way. I think it's really been a blessing for squad, I'd like to think they have a big impact and spread the word quite a lot.I would think the channels with the biggest impact would be ones that already have a good fan base from playing other-games, as they introduce a lot of people to it. Compared to channels that are more KSP exclusive, and as a result likely have a fan base that is mostly already comprised of KSP players. Though likely have a big impact in keeping those viewers active in playing the game/contributing to the community.

PewDiePie's viewer base is not KSP material, not to be disrespectful.

So, it depends on the youtuber, probably someone that watchs Quill, shenryyr and Malbozir or Madjinn (if they ever play KSP) would be more of a KSP kind of player.

Nerd3 convinced me to get the demo. The demo convinced me to buy the game for me, and the game itself convinced me to buy it for my Dad too. Now I convince others.

Edited by inigma

Tried KSP a few years back when I had a crummy computer. Gave up for a long time until I bought a shiny new one with more numbers in it. Then I remembered KSP and got fully medically addicted to it, when i could get 60fps all the time :).

Then I began to watch Scott, Jack, Danny and Robbaz and a few others -- their mad antics have improved my constructions and my skills hugely. I would not be good at KSP if it wasn't for watching Scott Manley's KSP tutorials, which I heartily recommend to players new and old.

But Youtube was something that came after I learned the basics. But it certainly helped with gathering more advanced skills.

Hmm. I joined the first time after I ran into a game killing bug playing .16.x sometime November -december 2011. Made about 2-4 posts. I believe that account to be a victim of the 2012 forum meltdown, but I ever used it so all well.

The account I'm using now came from having an answer to an unanswered question and forgetting I had the other account.

Actually found the forums through google. Learned about the youtubers through the forums.

Kurtjmac got me into KSP ! That's also how i dicovered his channel. I guess Youtube randomly proposed me a video, and the thumbnail looked appealing...

Kurtjmac's KSP series is the best ! better than any other IMO...

I think that his series brought a lot of people into KSP... It's very long, and ranges from very early alpha to .25-.90... many people watched this series too, an his channel regroups many games. Hell, he even has an easter egg in the actual game menu !

Who is PewDiePie and why would his youtube make any change that Scott Manley, Danny2462, RoninPawn or any other hasn't already?

I found out about KSP from Bukkit. Bukkit is hosted on Curse and when KSP moved to Curse as well there was an advertisement. Only after that did I go looking for videos before deciding to buy.

So, it depends on the youtuber, probably someone that watchs Quill, shenryyr and Malbozir or Madjinn (if they ever play KSP) would be more of a KSP kind of player.

Funny you should mention Quill. He just recently started a KSP series. I think it's up to 6-7 episodes now.

I went with the spirit of the question, but not the actual question itself. KurtJMac did not make me join the forums (at gunpoint or otherwise) but he did introduce me to the game via his videos, and then I tried the demo, got hoooked, and bought the game. Not long after I joined the forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is PewDiePie and why would his youtube make any change that Scott Manley, Danny2462, RoninPawn or any other hasn't already?

Pewdiepie gets millions of views. If 1% of his viewers buy the game based on his video, then Squad makes thousands of sales. The vast bulk of established KSP YouTubers' audiences already own the game.

I went with the spirit of the question, but not the actual question itself. KurtJMac did not make me join the forums (at gunpoint or otherwise) but he did introduce me to the game via his videos, and then I tried the demo, got hoooked, and bought the game. Not long after I joined the forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Pewdiepie gets millions of views. If 1% of his viewers buy the game based on his video, then Squad makes thousands of sales. The vast bulk of established KSP YouTubers' audiences already own the game.

Somewhere I saw he has 35 million subs, so 1% of 35 million is 350,000. A bit more than thousands.

I saw a Polish youtuber play it named "SuchyKanał" (his actual nickname is VonZay, I believe) when it was in 0.9. Couldn't wait for Mac support since back in the day it was the only machine I had.

For the curious ones: "Suchy Kanał" literally means "Dry Channel"

- - - Updated - - -

Somewhere I saw he has 35 million subs, so 1% of 35 million is 350,000. A bit more than thousands.

350,000 times $23?

I became interested in the game by watching YouTube videos, but it was a friend who told me about it and convinced me to buy it. So it's kind of both for me.

350,000 times $23?

*$40 :wink:

Edited by Rthsom

I heard about it on Rooster Teeth's "The Patch" gaming podcast. Gus Sorola mentioned it completely in passing for a fraction of a section, but it was "what? space game? making rockets?"

I looked it up, and it ran on Linux, and so I bought 0.20.0.2

Edit: and I only use Linux, so beside Minecraft, it's great to see all the Unity games like "Don't Starve" that run on Linux. THANK YOU, UNITY!

(This was around 0.16 or something, whenever there was just the Kerbin System) I searched "space game" on YouTube one day, maybe 2-3 years ago, and found some random guy's KSP video, watched it and loved it. Sadly I forgot about KSP, and it was only when it entered Beta with 0.90 I remembered it. For some reason I bought it on the spot without too much knowledge, when usually I research potential game buys heavily (I am only 14, so money is pretty tight).

That is probably true. Also, I was slightly disappointed he only put a link to the steam page and not the website. Poor Kerbalizer..

It's that much now? Wow, those full releases really get pricy.

To be fair, its worth $40 IMO. Though, also to be fair, if I hadn't gotten it on one of the frequent Steam Early Access sales, I might not be willing to spring for $40 blindly. Even at the discounted price, it wasn't until I found Scott Manley's vids on it that I became convinced to buy it. Its one of those games that you need to see in action to become convinced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.