Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

If you comment out the landing gear module in the fairings config it will fix it

//MODULE

//{

//name = ModuleLandingGear

//animationName = airbrake

//stowedDragMin = 0.1

//stowedDragMax = 0.2

//deployedDragMin = 0.001

//deployedDragMax = 0.001

//}

In the SoyuzU_TMAshroudD.cfg

Located at GameData\SovietPack\Parts\SoyuzU

I just changed it to

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = airbrake
stowedDragMin = 0.1
stowedDragMax = 0.2
deployedDragMin = 0.001
deployedDragMax = 0.001
}

because, I thought they moved and thought about adding the stock airbrake to it.

EDIT- But they didn't move.

Whats this about including the iss in the download? I havent put it in have I? Unless it was put in by mistake.

Anyway I believe the iss is more than just nodes. Null exceptions and whatnot mean it may need to be put through the modelling process and new collisions applied. We can let cheech have a go or wait for my release in a few days

Not quite sure if this particular behavior is intended or not, but I figure I may as well report it anyway. But even so, I'm still pretty sure the real life shuttle couldn't do loop di loops 100ft away from the ground.

9CD6EB6B7BF08E56D6FD84C64EF18DB9041EA455

While that picture doesn't necessarily convey the issue, at that speed, AOA, and height, I was able to keep pulling up doing circles in the air just above the ground. The aerodynamics in particular for the whole thing seem really off. It bleeds speed way, way too much (to the point where I don't even need S-turns to slow down. Just divebomb KSC and pull up) and it has some very silly behavior whenever I throw curveballs at it. Basically whenever its not flying under its intended flight path, it behaves like a spaceship without any gyroscopic controls. Floats up and down, spins around and around.

The shuttle is also virtually indestructible, as I was able to crash it into every building in KSC and only lost an engine.

I'm sure some of this may be intentional atm, but even so.

It is pretty strong yeah... ive had complaints that it fell appart in the past. I wil have a play.

Also tje feathering I believe is due to the lifting surface effects and maybe a bit much drag?

Jeast is the expert here but I can have a tweak with it

Yeah it definitely creates too much drag. Without its belly up against prograde, it shouldn't be able to slow down near as efficiently. So when combined with the lifting surfaces it creates some wacky effects. The shuttle should be a flying brick, but not a flying brick that can stay in the air indefinitely even after it stalls out.

And while it may have fallen apart, I would think that was more a node issue than anything else. I can't imagine the actual part strength would have any effect on how easy it is to break off or disintegrate.

Jeast, what say we remove the lifting surfaces and see how the games aerodynamics handles the shuttle. It didnt feather when I last tried.

I know you put alot of work onto it but its the games funny idea of aerodynamics that mess it up

Cheech. You never got back to me about that collision issue with the css...

and yeah it seems so fragile the modelling system. Forget one step and you gotta go back again.

blender can sometimes export to ksp but its best to put it through unity. Retexture it add the correct types of collision and orientation. Trick its alternative x y z layout if you skip it its all messed up on ksp. Also use the wrong import type then say goodbye to animations. Also things like ladders and airlocks need re rotating. Then reimporting to blender changes again. Loose scale and orientation depending on the origional model

Also adding the names and triggers to line 21 ect

Edited by Mike-NZ

I see everyone is so keen to get the ISS going. Just be aware there is alot more to it then meets the eye.

Yes you can do node fixing but you will still get null exceptions and ghosting parts or non functioning or outdated sections in the cfgs

I wish I didnt have to go to work and be away from my pc all day...

But youll have my release by the weekend anyway.

Ok so I am not part of this but I have seen too many thread fall apart out of frustration and confusion. So everyone right now for the sake of efficiency say exactly what they are going to do moving forward. If you want to help someone pm them about what you can help with. Obviously Mike you are going to be doing the lion share of the work and maintenance however it seems there are quite a few people on here willing to help. Mike you mentioned that you are working on the ISS. Maybe make a new thread for it so we aren't clogging up this thread with ISS stuff. This way people with fixes, opinions, bugs and questions dont get lost in soyuz, mir and iss stuff. Also on that thread discussion bout fixes and such can be discussed to help your work move along faster and more efficiently. So call out what you are willing to help with and then wait for responses. Once thats done act accordingly. annnddd...... break!

I see everyone is so keen to get the ISS going. Just be aware there is alot more to it then meets the eye.

Yes you can do node fixing but you will still get null exceptions and ghosting parts or non functioning or outdated sections in the cfgs

I wish I didnt have to go to work and be away from my pc all day...

But youll have my release by the weekend anyway.

cfg's are easy it's the one model pretty much that is being a pain and the rest is looking pretty good so far, I have put ISS parts and MIR all on the runway time you get done with the shuttle there might not be much to tweak on them.

Good call. I have done the dreamchaser mod and will now be looking for testers. Iss is next.

I will make a new thread also.

I'll gladly test it. Pm it to me when you are ready.

Istn it funny, its so much easier being in the vacuum of space...

I find that to rarely be the case with most spaceplanes, as they are in a sense a compromise between a plane and a spacecraft. The Shuttle however is more spacecraft than plane, hence it behaves better in it's designed environment. I'm usually tempted to just use hyperedit to land it, as I can be lazy sometimes (there is a difference between sometimes and always mom!!!!), but that takes the fun out of it (especially for Jeb and Val) which is why I usually[i/] land it the conventional way. I'm trying to make a kOS script based off of the actual reentry program the shuttle's computer executed; with the help of google and the user's manual (I think it is funny how a spacecraft has a user manual like a car, all it needs are a set of keys that make the "beep beep" sound when you lock it. But the shuttle is the most complicated machine ever made, which kinda necessitates a manual.)

If you install the collisionfx mod you will see it. It goofs it up somehow. I unistalled the collision fx mod and it all works fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh on a side note i have all the MIR and ISS textures converted to dds and it saves 50 of the memory.

- - - Updated - - -

Soyuz also. But that one model for the S3 - P3 Truss is messed up. The colliders are broken and need redone but im lost in Unity also lol

If you install the collisionfx mod you will see it. It goofs it up somehow. I unistalled the collision fx mod and it all works fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh on a side note i have all the MIR and ISS textures converted to dds and it saves 50 of the memory.

- - - Updated - - -

Soyuz also. But that one model for the S3 - P3 Truss is messed up. The colliders are broken and need redone but im lost in Unity also lol

Thats amazing!! Especially the DDS part. Post on here from now on just so we arent clogging up this thread with non CSS stuff. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124258-ISS-and-DREAMCHASER-1-0-2-release-thread

Yes i made a new thread for iss and dreamchaser.I am doing what I can during my short breaks bear with me please

Indeed. No I don't think anyone is rushing you. Please take your time and work at a your own pace. You are going to run into quite a few excited people who have a lot of polarizing opinions. So enter this journey carefully and with an open mind. You are working project right now people have been looking forward to wanting for quite some time. Good luck and take your time.

Thanks cheech for pointing out the faults with the other mods... I will be sure to double check what I do in those areas unless you manage to sort it out.

but we should post in the new thread for now.

So for tonight I will of course work on the new mods buy also meas with the orbiters aerodynamics and post what I find.

and fix those couple of problems.

any more ideas or problems to sort before I upload a 1.6.1 patch?

The kos idea sounds exciting!

I guess that has to do with the new 1.0 heating? Or Deadly Reentry is a required mod for the Soyuz so the thermal blankets color change wont work. The soyuz just needs a proper 1.02 overhaul. I am not saying it doesn't work but functioning and working properly are two different things.

In other news I took the most recent update for a spin.

Bad News: The aerodynamics are ehhh. Takeing off is much harder than it was in past iterations. It gets into space but it seems like I was fighting it the whole time. In space I can't imagine controlling it well enough to perform a rendevous and docking. It doesn't fly very well in space either. Maybe stronger reaction wheels I imagine that could help for take off and landing as well. Reentry was actually ok it was flying in the atmosphere that really I had a lot of trouble. I tried both my way of landing and followed the instructions on the first page. It was extremely difficult both ways. I still experience quite a lot of "feathering". This is all probably just me because I watched the videos on the front page and it seems like someone knows how to fly this shuttle so maybe it will jus take alot of practice.

Good News: Everything looks good. I have no more complaints about the look of the shuttle. I just miss the proper texture switches but you are fixing that so that should be all good soon. Overall well done. This mod is really rising like a phoenix.

I understand the tricky atmosphere flight but can we go into more detail on space maneuverability? Does rcs tilt off axis or too weak/strong?

I understand the tricky atmosphere flight but can we go into more detail on space maneuverability? Does rcs tilt off axis or too weak/strong?

During take off the stack constantly wants to roll over. The ship flys sideways during take off so much so I went into a semi polar orbit. During reentry it just want to go nose down. No matter what I do the nose wont come up. Then once Im in the atmosphere It flys like a brick but also floats like a feather. It bleeds speed really quickly and just really doesn't want to glide at all. I know that sounds interesting especially when I say that when I go to flare it just shoots back up. It doesn't flare it just picks up and keeps going. It just needs to fly more like a plane I guess. I am very much aware that its not supposed to but it needs some more gliding capability. In space it just doesn't move like I feel it should. Its very sluggish and then you overshoot the target markers. Its not a smooth slow its like its very rough maneuvering in space. Maybe stronger SAS? The OMS tend to drift up and off the mark and I am constantly readjusting. The RCS should be stronger along with maybe a stonger reaction wheel. A balance between the two would be good. It just seems wobbly in space. I feel like I am constantly adjusting to keep it flying straight in space. I hope this all helps.