[1.2.2] Phoenix Industries Cargo Resupply System (KIS/MechJeb Compatible) v2.2

-ctn-

• 2 weeks later...

Great pack! Absolutely one of the best I've used in 1.0.X. On that note, here's some information that may be of use to you.

It'd be nice if any parts that have a space in their names had the space removed. IIRC if there's a space in the name, MM can't reference it and throws an error. With that said, I've gone through and removed all spaces in my install so I can reference them. If there is a way to get MM to reference a part with a space, I don't know about it / how because I've never had to do it with any other part I've made a config for. My list of edits in 0.25, 0.90, and 1.0.X range from 15,000 - 20,000; and those are edits made by me because I like to play / have parts made the way I feel they should be. As I'm not like the typical player and spend the time to edit the parts via MM while skimming the part config, I like to drop any information that may prove useful to the author / mod. Just thought I'd request / give the information about having a space in a parts name. Even if it's not just for MM, it's tends to cause problems so most people just avoid spaces by using hyphens or underscores instead.

After saying more than intended, I hope the feedback helps!

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully this week I'll take a look and see what I can do about that.

If I update a new version without spaces, it will be a craft breaking update though. So if you have a station orbiting with one of these docked, the entire station will be deleted.

Great pack! Absolutely one of the best I've used in 1.0.X. On that note, here's some information that may be of use to you.

It'd be nice if any parts that have a space in their names had the space removed. IIRC if there's a space in the name, MM can't reference it and throws an error. With that said, I've gone through and removed all spaces in my install so I can reference them. If there is a way to get MM to reference a part with a space, I don't know about it / how because I've never had to do it with any other part I've made a config for. My list of edits in 0.25, 0.90, and 1.0.X range from 15,000 - 20,000; and those are edits made by me because I like to play / have parts made the way I feel they should be. As I'm not like the typical player and spend the time to edit the parts via MM while skimming the part config, I like to drop any information that may prove useful to the author / mod. Just thought I'd request / give the information about having a space in a parts name. Even if it's not just for MM, it's tends to cause problems so most people just avoid spaces by using hyphens or underscores instead.

After saying more than intended, I hope the feedback helps!

Where there is a space in the name put a ? where the space is and all will be fine.

EDIT- Like ( 2.5m?Capsule ) ( 2.5m?picax ) ( 2.5m?solar ) ( 2.5m?trunk )

Edited by Mecripp2

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully this week I'll take a look and see what I can do about that.

If I update a new version without spaces, it will be a craft breaking update though. So if you have a station orbiting with one of these docked, the entire station will be deleted.

Please don't. See above as to why.

If / when there is an update with no spaces, just keep a depreciated folder holding the old parts without them being on the tech tree, done, simple.

Where there is a space in the name put a ? where the space is and all will be fine.

EDIT- Like ( 2.5m?Capsule ) ( 2.5m?picax ) ( 2.5m?solar ) ( 2.5m?trunk )

Nice to finally know exactly how the '?' is used, I always had an issue when I've tried previously.

Thanks!

*Person this next statement is directed towards.*

Thinking out loud from here on out about a nose cap. It would be nice to have.

I'd, personally, like and enjoy some form of an aero cap that would fit over the docking port of both versions. If I made parts, it'd probably be a nice domed cap, though slightly sharper than the stock "nose cap" part, so a nice middle ground. There are two ways to make this happen(at least in my mind :rolleyes:).

The super simple method.:

• Use a strong decoupling force and by using part parameters in it's config to offset the mass towards one side to off balance it making it decouple towards the direction of the offset. The downside of using this simple method is that if you offset the mass of that one part and you use it on your vehicle, the rest of the craft would be affected with the offset mass of that part until it's removed. That's just how the offset parameter works.

The slightly more complex method(s), I say it that way as it's virtually the same concept, just placed in three different spots and requires a bit more work.:

• Have a single thruster built into the cap that would be on the bottom to force the cap upwards, but, at the same time to the side because the thruster would be offset to one of the four corners of the cap.
  • The second method would be instead of having the thruster on the bottom of the cap, it would be directly on one of the four sides. This would cause the most thrust laterally, and unlike pointing the thruster towards the vessel, wouldn't cause damage to the vessel by exhaust of the thruster (plus you get the benefit of being more "realistic"!).
  • The third is a compromise, yet I feel it would be the best to way to build the part. This version would still have the thruster on the side of the cap gaining all of the same benefits as Version two above, but instead of pointing the thruster directly 90° to the side, it would instead point 45° to the side and upwards. This would cause enough lateral momentum to get the cap out of the way, but at the same time you would also gain some vertical momentum to help keep the cap away from primary vessel since it''s most likely still gaining speed. If you still want to talk about the "realism" factors with these ideas, I feel this would be the best choice for the job.

The last three ideas posted all have what I'm about to say in common and would probably all include them, so I'm listing this as a single message. I'm thinking the thruster would be powered via SolidFuel. For the job of making the part, you'd make one of the last three versions listed, and incorporate the thruster in the part itself. In the config is all of the typical stuff, but the main being the "ModuleEngine" for the thruster and the obvious "ModuleDecouple" information. If I could actually make the part (Making the model and the textures. Sadly I'm just a config / MM warrior :( ), I'd chose the third, final, option.

I'd probably set the ModuleDecouple using the bottom node with a force somewhere between the 100 - 150 mark, maybe up to 250 for the bigger cap in the 2.5m option. Thruster / thrust transform would need extremely little fuel but a big punch, For the 1.25m version I'm thinking a max thrust between 35 - 45 with about 3.5 units of SolidFuel; for the 2.5 a thrust of max thrust of 45 - 55 with about 5 units of SolidFuel.

Final little notes for full clarity if you even make this idea an actual part or read all that I typed at this point (:rolleyes:), when I mean "on one of the four sides of the cap", I'm talking about each 90° angle of the cap. With the third "more complex" option I listed, I'd put the thruster on one 90° angles underneath towards on side, or on the side.

It would also be ideal that the thruster be orientated so that it goes either left or right after the jettison as that would provide the most (85 - 95 % sure) assurance that you won't hit the cap at all, leaving a nice, clean sep.

Here's a quick example of the third example that I talked about the most. The box with the arrow pointing towards it shows the torque value and the thrust that a sep motor placed in the configuration I described above. I used two parts used here because an AeroCap with a sep motor doesn't exist for this pack (yet, but I sure do hope so soon). I also included the information about the sep motor that was used so you could get an idea about the power / fuel needed. Hope this sparks some new ideas for ya!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by FiiZzioN
Format

• 4 weeks later...

I have considered it, but I wanted to keep the part down really low anyway to avoid clogging people's part catalog.

In the past I've always just used the stock nose cone on top of a docking port and used action groups to decouple the nose cone, but if you're pointing prograde, it will hit the ship.

I may do some sort of really low profile motor or engine, as that as a bit more flexibility of use than a nose cone with an engine or separator.

• 1 month later...

Could you rename the behind-the-scenes-name of the part "BigCapsule" or "CapsuleB" etc instead of "2.5m Capsule", because it could cause problems down the line, like future patches etc

EDIT1: This is just a suggestion as I renamed the code for myself, but you might want to think about it.

EDIT2: Also think about incorporating WildBlue Industries multi purpose Containers, which allows the KIS container to be swapped out, in-flight, to be able contain another resources, and the unused KIS storage capacity is set to 0

EDIT2: I already "fixed" this and otherthings in for myself, but for you as publisher of another mod, perhaps requires consent from Angel-125 of the Pathfinder mod

EDIT3: Also consider incorporating a ModuleScienceContainer for returning experiments

Edited by Pretender6
Adding stuff

• 3 weeks later...

Is this pack still active? As stated earlier in this thread, I'd love to see some form of an aero-cap to cover the docking port to make it more aerodynamic. Another part idea that'd be nice to have is a part that mounts the trunk + covers the bottom of the solar shrouds to the tank. Since I've played with this pack for a bit the mount just feels like it should be there for continuity's sake. I'll leave these images here so you can see the two parts I'm talking about.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The nose cone, as stated, can be the stock aerodynamic nose cone on top of a docking port. You can set action groups to decouple the nosecone. The offset tool in the VAB and make the gap seamless.

I'm kind of waiting for 1.1 to drop before I go crazy with the updates, but I think the adapter you're talking about may be a good idea. I wanted to update the model for the capsule itself, and actually model the engine ports in instead of just textures.

Hey everyone. Not sure if this will be done before the 1.1 release, but since my skills in modeling have grown significantly, I've been tinkering away at doing an overhaul for the parts.

Here's what I've got so far.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hdtQ0YR.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/e8hA5Ms.jpg[/IMG]

Great work! The new models look ace. I've been wanting to start modding myself and after downloading this part pack I decided to use this as a starting point, i've manged to amend the models slightly and do some re-texturing, I've now got a fleet of mission support vehicles all based on your parts. I'm just working on a crew capsule now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Could i request that you include a rear adapter for the bottom of the stack in your next release, something the same shape as the capsule, rcs but no mono engine so we can mount an engine on the rear?

[quote name='-ctn-']Hey everyone. Not sure if this will be done before the 1.1 release, but since my skills in modeling have grown significantly, I've been tinkering away at doing an overhaul for the parts.

Here's what I've got so far.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/hdtQ0YR.jpg[/url]

[url]http://i.imgur.com/e8hA5Ms.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Wao, looking forward to the next release!

Thanks guys!

The new release will have an adapter plate that goes from 2.5m to the shape of the dragon trunk.

I'm thinking it will only include the hollow trunk and only be 2.5m version. Other sizes can be added by duplicating and editing the config.

Hey ctn, just wondering if I would be able to use your flag in a corner of a graphic for my Twitter page? It'll be shown on a tweet and possibly a post on this site, provided with a link to this forum thread. I can send you a copy of the image if you'd like to scrutinise it. Thanks!

If the graphic is referencing my mods, then yes. If you want to use it for personal use, then no. I'd like to reserve it for my mod packs under my fictional company "Phoenix Industries."

The actual graphic of the Phoenix is from clip art, you could probably find it with a Google search.

[quote name='-ctn-']If the graphic is referencing my mods, then yes. If you want to use it for personal use, then no. I'd like to reserve it for my mod packs under my fictional company "Phoenix Industries."

The actual graphic of the Phoenix is from clip art, you could probably find it with a Google search.[/QUOTE]

It's referencing your mod as a fictional company providing cargo supply ships; there's no intention of using it for anything else.

[URL="https://twitter.com/mb_astro/status/669650974647164928"]Here[/URL] is the tweet being used, if you object to it do let me know and I'll remove it ASAP!

Thanks again for the mod, definitely my favourite cargo ship for space stations.

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2016 at 10:17 PM, Jivaii said:

Any word on if this mod will be seeing any love?

Installed it on 1.0.5, seems to be working as intended, haven't really found anything that's broken in it.

It works fine in 1.0.5, but I wanted to keep the update reserved for when I get the new models and textures done. Speaking  of, here's some progress photos:

EsDumWV.jpg

I think I'll work on modeling the new solar panels next. Then will come texturing and finally, the hopefully not-so-tedious-this-time Unity/config work.

14 minutes ago, -ctn- said:

It works fine in 1.0.5, but I wanted to keep the update reserved for when I get the new models and textures done. Speaking  of, here's some progress photos:

EsDumWV.jpg

I think I'll work on modeling the new solar panels next. Then will come texturing and finally, the hopefully not-so-tedious-this-time Unity/config work.

Oh, god that looks nice. 

A couple questions: 

1)What size is the very bottom thing there of that adapter? Is it 2.5m? That would be wonderful.

2) Will you include RP configs for the engine on the pod? That'd be sick too.

I didn't realize you were redoing this... I played with the old version for a while, and I love it! The new one looks even better!

Maybe it'l look good with my Falcon 9. :)

Actually, I was just taking a peek at your Falcon 9. ;)

The bottom of the adapter is 2.5m. I will use the configs to make a duplicate, scaled for 1.25m rockets, just like the current version of the mod.

What do you mean by "RP configs"? I'm not sure what "RP" means.

EDIT: Whipped up some solar panels. That's it for today, I think. After the weekend, I'll try to texture everything and try to get it all working in-game.

NYHwkcm.jpg

Edited by -ctn-

20 hours ago, -ctn- said:

Actually, I was just taking a peek at your Falcon 9. ;)

The bottom of the adapter is 2.5m. I will use the configs to make a duplicate, scaled for 1.25m rockets, just like the current version of the mod.

What do you mean by "RP configs"? I'm not sure what "RP" means.

EDIT: Whipped up some solar panels. That's it for today, I think. After the weekend, I'll try to texture everything and try to get it all working in-game.

NYHwkcm.jpg

RP I'm guessing is Real Plume

Are there still known issues with the panel shrouds? I got some decouple particle effects but they didn't separate and I was then able to infinitely "decouple" them with the particle effects occurring each time but never separating and not allowing me to continue staging without moving the shroud decouple stage to the top. Does that even make any sense?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.