How many things can you cook?

AeronautEdward

I dont need fancy food to be happy, Noodles+Ham+Egg is one of my favorite meals. I dont realy care for complicated cooking, it just has to taste good and have enough calories to keep me running...

Well, given a recipe as a base, I've cooked enough in my life to know how a dish will change if I add x spice, or reduce the amount of y ingredient, or cook it for just a bit longer or shorter.

From memory, I cannot cook very many meals, though I know enough to both sustain myself and give a bit of variety. Anything involving pasta is very easy, as are most meats. Eggs are straightforward and fast. Toast and bread work wonders for bases and sides.

If preparing things that do not require cooking is under the same category, then I can use basically anything I have available. :P

people had peen pressuring me to make fried chicken for awhile. i always put it off, and the rising cost of chicken didnt help much. one day they bring me a whole frier chicken and everything else i needed was already in the pantry. nailed it on the first try. i guess the trick is to not be afraid of so much oil, if you dont put enough down the food wont float and it will stick to the bottom. same rules apply to chicken fried steak, but because they are usually thin you dont need as much oil. i also reuse my fry oil 3 or 4 times before throwing it out. i can also do a lot of things with a deep frier. onion rings, corn fritters, apple fritters, donuts, beer battered halibut, shrimp tempura, and so on.

It's a little sad to see the empty comments here...

What, just because these people are doing what they want they're empty? You might like a dinner that's very complex and took a long time to make, something that you poured your heart ad soul out into, but some of us might just like hot dogs and potato chips on a paper plate. Some other folks might like an old recipe their great-great grandparents came up with during the Great Depression. Still others might use a recipe but jazz it up a bit. Yet more might not even use a recipe but use the knowledge gained from working with recipes to cook what they're cooking. More might just not use a recipe at all and just use the knowledge they have of food. Some might see cooking as an art, as a fun activity, or as something that needs to be done. It just depends on what people like and what their approach is. Just because somebody doesn't have the same approach to cooking as you doesn't mean they're empty. You could go from New York to Los Angeles by Plane, Car, or Train, but you'd still get to the same place regardless of the way you took, wouldn't you?

Edited by Flymetothemun

I can cook my graphics card, CPU, and I think that's it. Oh, and scrambled eggs.

I can cook the plastic above the CPU fan on my laptop myself. I could probably use it as a hot plate when the fan gets clogged up and the CPU gets hot again. Maybe I could hold the title of first pot of coffee made with CPU heat...

What, just because these people are doing what they want they're empty? You might like a dinner that's very complex and took a long time to make, something that you poured your heart ad soul out into, but some of us might just like hot dogs and potato chips on a paper plate. Some other folks might like an old recipe their great-great grandparents came up with during the Great Depression. Still others might use a recipe but jazz it up a bit. Yet more might not even use a recipe but use the knowledge gained from working with recipes to cook what they're cooking. More might just not use a recipe at all and just use the knowledge they have of food. Some might see cooking as an art, as a fun activity, or as something that needs to be done. It just depends on what people like and what their approach is. Just because somebody doesn't have the same approach to cooking as you doesn't mean they're empty. You could go from New York to Los Angeles by Plane, Car, or Train, but you'd still get to the same place regardless of the way you took, wouldn't you?

"The journey is the destination" -Deepak Chopra

"While necessary for a computer whose goal is merely to give you the right answer, doesn't really give any insight onto what it is that you're doing when you do..." -Henry

"If you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip." -Dante

And now for mine.

"Whether or not you choose to look at the path you're on, at least remember that it exists, for as long as you focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, it becomes your world."

"The journey is the destination" -Deepak Chopra

"While necessary for a computer whose goal is merely to give you the right answer, doesn't really give any insight onto what it is that you're doing when you do..." -Henry

"If you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip." -Dante

And now for mine.

"Whether or not you choose to look at the path you're on, at least remember that it exists, for as long as you focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, it becomes your world."

But i'm hungry now, And i'll be even more hungry in 2 hours.

But i'm hungry now, And i'll be even more hungry in 2 hours.

Sometimes I don't eat for so long that I'm physically exhausted after a few steps even if I'm healthy and just got out of bed. Thank goodness for microwaves, that's all I'm sayin'.

I can cook water without burning it. Oh, and I can cook bread too. My signature bachelor dish was maple-style beans'n'weiners (Thank you, Heinz!). If pressed I can make fried rice with veggies! Or any packaged meal with instructions, like Hamburger Helper, especially good if you throw in some mixed frozen veggies.

For anything more copmplex I have a wife, who can do the cake-from-scratch level of stuff. Being Hungarian, she specializes in things like Chicken Paprika, cabbage rolls, and she makes a mean beigli. She complains that my Kraft Dinner is more like macaroni-and-cheese-soup.

The problem is the OP asks effectively for a number, and I can cook rather a lot. Even a number of types of cuisine would be hard to come up with. American, Mexican, French, Thai, Chinese, Swedish, Indian, Moroccan, just to name a few I have recently done.

I can cook water without burning it. Oh, and I can cook bread too. My signature bachelor dish was maple-style beans'n'weiners (Thank you, Heinz!). If pressed I can make fried rice with veggies! Or any packaged meal with instructions, like Hamburger Helper, especially good if you throw in some mixed frozen veggies.

For anything more copmplex I have a wife, who can do the cake-from-scratch level of stuff. Being Hungarian, she specializes in things like Chicken Paprika, cabbage rolls, and she makes a mean beigli. She complains that my Kraft Dinner is more like macaroni-and-cheese-soup.

The beigli sound yummy! I will have to try them.

Having many Georgian friends, I've come to like a lot of Georgian foods. Our table is often graced with things like: khachapuri (cheese bread), lobiani (bean-filled bread), cadi (corn bread) with garlic or ginger spinach, and from trips into NYC - fresh lavash. There's an awesome Georgian bakery in Brighton Beach that does lavash in a proper T'one (stone oven), and just walking past the place, the smell alone.......... irresistible.

Khinkali (meat dumplings) are also a favorite around here. This is all making me hungry.

Aside from the obvious stuff (Level 2 [Yes I made a level system] and below food items, ie Ramen, Easy-Mac, Pizza Rolls, etc.) I can cook:

-quesadillas

-scrambled eggs

-spaghetti

-hamburgers

-bacon

-breakfast burritos

-steaks

-pizza

-curry rice (Japanese Style),

My family has a knack for cooking.

On a side note:

amongst the few thing i m following more or less closely time to time: this and the toxin fast appearance outside the natural environnement related ISO things for massive culinar use purpose. Whenever i can go to a country where it's part of the basic feeding habits i hope i got the luck to try.

I heard grasshopper fricassee tast kinda like small fish frying.

ly69k.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker
Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Tons of things as I started when I went to college and began living by myself some 14 years ago... I rather learned or starved! :) Not that I do it regularly because... well, life: boiling some noodles and be done with it leaves time to do other things. Dinner time around this part of the globe is around 9-10 pm, so if you want to kill some time before going to bed, you better cook fast, effectively contradicting the concept of killing time because you artificially fabricated said time to then be able to kill it with video games and unnecessary stuff. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.