Worsening KSP performance.

Hi everybody,

I discovered that KSP V 1.0 and up runs much much worse than V 0.90.

I was testing my new Altair lander which is around 400 parts and the performance was worse than a 700 part craft was for me in V 0.90.. It wad almost unplayable.

Have Squad said anything about this? Or has anybody experienced the same thing?

I have a fast CPU and lowering settings does nothing for the performance.

Edited by Majorjim

Did you get any of the heating guages appear while testing? They have a memory leak that gets progressively worse. When they appear turn them off with F10 and it should stop the issue.

Hi, yes I'm aware of that memory leak. That is not the issue here. The performance is worse at all times. I know it's not my hardwear either.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see a Picture of the Lander, just out of curiosity :)

But I am also wondering if and how the Heat-Gauges play into this issue.

I posted it to my constellation thread but here it is for ease:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You have a hell of a lot of struts. They have mass now where they didn't before.

See this thread for details: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122688-Something-doesn-t-seem-right-here

But mass doesn't cause a performance issue, there are so many as that's exacty where the real proposed Altair has struts. 400 parts is absolutey fine for my system. The update simply runs worse which is irritating in the extreme.

YES! I am experiencing the same crippling performance. 300 parts is the max playable part count before the game goes slide show (with 300 it's down to about 5fps). I used to build 600-700 part stations and still be able to play ok, aircraft of 400+ parts that would fly just fine. Now I need to keep it to around 200 parts if I want smooth performance, above 300 and it becomes unplayable. It's killing my enjoyment of KSP!! I like making detailed craft like MajorJim's Altair lander (nice design btw) and I'm frustrated that I can't anymore.

It's not the memory leak issue (running TemperatureGaugeKiller mod), it's not a "too many mods" issue (playing mostly stock right now, aside from MJ, KAC the afore mentioned gauge killer and stock bug fixes), it's not a hardware issue (3.07 GHz i7, 16GM RAM, GTX760 & GTX460 (dedicated to physX), SSD for OS(win7) and games, runs GTA-V smoothly at almost full settings, has run previous KSP's with high part count craft just fine), it's not a high performance mouse issue (turned the polling rate right down to 125Hz).

Yesterday I reinstalled windows to see if running it on a nice fresh install with 0 clutter and fully up-to-date drivers would help. It didn't.

OMG look at all that amount of Detail and it is quite small!

I would have thought you come up with a behemoth type of a lander. I am impressed :)

Well this is just the proposed munar lander for the constellation program. They where Gunna go to the moon in that lander first. Also, with cargo variants with two SPR rovers and others with hab modules for a moon base. I will be making those also.

I think I got the scale almost perfect for the Altair. although it should really be three pilots onboard. But that wasn't possible and also have it look so much like the real one.

YES! I am experiencing the same crippling performance. 300 parts is the max playable part count before the game goes slide show (with 300 it's down to about 5fps). I used to build 600-700 part stations and still be able to play ok, aircraft of 400+ parts that would fly just fine. Now I need to keep it to around 200 parts if I want smooth performance, above 300 and it becomes unplayable. It's killing my enjoyment of KSP!! I like making detailed craft like MajorJim's Altair lander (nice design btw) and I'm frustrated that I can't anymore.

It's not the memory leak issue (running TemperatureGaugeKiller mod), it's not a "too many mods" issue (playing mostly stock right now, aside from MJ, KAC the afore mentioned gauge killer and stock bug fixes), it's not a hardware issue (3.07 GHz i7, 16GM RAM, GTX760 & GTX460 (dedicated to physX), SSD for OS(win7) and games, runs GTA-V smoothly at almost full settings, has run previous KSP's with high part count craft just fine), it's not a high performance mouse issue (turned the polling rate right down to 125Hz).

Yesterday I reinstalled windows to see if running it on a nice fresh install with 0 clutter and fully up-to-date drivers would help. It didn't.

Thanks for the comment on the lander mate. I'm super happy with it. But yes I have the exact same issue. I'm sure it's a UI issue. Something like the GC issues we used to have.

I'm sure it's an easy fix. Because at present the game is unplayable restrictive..

The performance is nearly half what it was before version 1.

Kat have you submitted a bug tracker on this?

I'm glad (in a relative way) that you guys with good computers also experience this. I bought this laptop (i5, 8GB RAM, GTX850) with the intention of playing kerbal and a few other games from time to time. in .90 I was not dissapointed, my frame rates were so high (for small craft) compared to my old computer that I kept crashing landers because timewarp worked so much faster. Even big stuff were playable, allthough with lof FPS. Nowdays, I rarely get above 9 FPS, even with small craft, and big ones are out of the question (2-4 FPS).

A question to you other guys: my computer shows a CPU load of 20-25% on all cores, RAM is not an issue (I play with no mods), disk usage is low and allthough I haven't checked the GPU with a program, the fan doesen't suggest it's working very hard. Do you have the same issue?

I have noticed that KSP's performance just kept getting worse from .18 or so on my AMD system. When the spacecenter was redesigned, the overall FPS and performance went from bad to abysmal. I used to build around 900 part ships around that time, and now my system can really only handle around 150 parts, sometimes less. I figure by the time KSP is finished "improving" that I will be unable to build anything significant at all.

Thanks for the comment on the lander mate. I'm super happy with it. But yes I have the exact same issue. I'm sure it's a UI issue. Something like the GC issues we used to have.

I'm sure it's an easy fix. Because at present the game is unplayable restrictive..

The performance is nearly half what it was before version 1.

Kat have you submitted a bug tracker on this?

Oddly enough I've also been working on an Altair lander (it's not as detailed as yours) but I got side tracked so haven't finished it yet. Is that command pod a mod or have you made it out of fairings? I've made mine out of fairings with command chairs inside, (which actually makes for a light and petty strong pod). It's a bit odd getting crew in and out of it, you have to bring the camera inside it to select the chairs and when they leave they just appear standing on top of it, but it works!

No I've not made a bug report about the performance yet. Wanted to try a few things first (like re-installing windows) to see if that helped. I've also got issues with periodical split second freezes which has become gradually more and more noticeable (I think due to having lots of in-flight craft) and I still need to write a report on that.

Are either of you getting error messages in error logs in either KSP or Windows?

No errors and no crashes, just doomy levels of lag!

Would you happen to use Vsync? On my PC, no vsync seems to add an additional 50+ parts before being unplayable.

I've tried with and without vsync. Can't say I noticed a gain in part-count related performance, but as there doesn't seem to be any page tearing I've left it off -> so I get ~100+fps on small (~50 part) craft, down to <5 fps on (what I'd call medium sized) 300+ part craft.

What sort of part count are you able to use before it gets unplayable?

Oddly enough I've also been working on an Altair lander (it's not as detailed as yours) but I got side tracked so haven't finished it yet. Is that command pod a mod or have you made it out of fairings? I've made mine out of fairings with command chairs inside, (which actually makes for a light and petty strong pod). It's a bit odd getting crew in and out of it, you have to bring the camera inside it to select the chairs and when they leave they just appear standing on top of it, but it works!

No I've not made a bug report about the performance yet. Wanted to try a few things first (like re-installing windows) to see if that helped. I've also got issues with periodical split second freezes which has become gradually more and more noticeable (I think due to having lots of in-flight craft) and I still need to write a report on that.

No errors and no crashes, just doomy levels of lag!

My Altair is all stock. The pod is two single kerbal pods on top of each other with backwards antennas around it. Left open at the front so Kerbals can get in and out.

I also have the skipping that gets worse after time or when making high part count ships. It is exactly like the GC issues of a few versions back. Even opening KVV slows the VAB down to a crawl..

It's maddening.

I dont see any significant slowdown.

Even opening KVV slows the VAB down to a crawl..

KVV did this on my box all the time from 0.24, I'd say its b0rked. And if you run mods then any blame laid on KSP itself is basicly unfounded.

Same here, worse performance. No errors and memory is just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont see any significant slowdown.

KVV did this on my box all the time from 0.24, I'd say its b0rked. And if you run mods then any blame laid on KSP itself is basicly unfounded.

I'd say Majorjim has enough experience to come to the conclusion KSP itself has a problem. And if you knew his work, he loves building stock. KVV is editor only, it's got nothing to do with the simulation part of the program.

Actually, the antennas cause lots of lag for some reason, so that may have been the cause if those are antennas on your Altair.

Hi Yukon, I did think of that, ye those are backwards antennas. Alas, I have this issue with any high part craft..

- - - Updated - - -

Same here, worse performance. No errors and memory is just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say Majorjim has enough experience to come to the conclusion KSP itself has a problem. And if you knew his work, he loves building stock. KVV is editor only, it's got nothing to do with the simulation part of the program.

Thanks man, that's right. I get this issue on a stock install too.

I will do some testing tonight and report back.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the game engine run physics on every part ?

Correct, and it doesn't matter is you have 1 core or 500 cores, the physics is single threaded and only runs on one. So single core performance is the key.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.